The Student Room Group

Woman burnt to death at Islamic school after sexual assault

Nusrat Jahan Rafi was doused with kerosene and set on fire at her school in Bangladesh. Less than two weeks earlier, she had filed a sexual harassment complaint against her headmaster.

Her courage in speaking out against sexual assault, her death five days after being set alight and everything that happened in-between has gripped Bangladesh and brought attention to the vulnerability of sexual harassment victims in this conservative South Asian country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47947117

I'd say as I was surprised at this barbarism but Bangladesh is an uncivilised misogynistic backwater.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
*sigh*

Barbaric.
Horrific crime.
Despicable murder.
RIP Nusrat.
I had a Bangladeshi student in a seminar. On the first meeting, he argued that the women in the group shouldn't study at university as they should stay at home. This was a supposedly well-educated and definitely privileged person. They have some outdated beliefs, to say the least.
Reply 5
Original post by Notoriety
I had a Bangladeshi student in a seminar. On the first meeting, he argued that the women in the group shouldn't study at university as they should stay at home. This was a supposedly well-educated and definitely privileged person. They have some outdated beliefs, to say the least.

Given that Bangladesh has a rather large population i'm curious to whom this "they" you refer to are? The collective Bengali's? I mean of course this crime is at the height of barbarism but to make out it some kind of common every day occurrence would come across as spurious, not to mention offensive to everyday Bengali's.

I have quite a few Bengali friends and none of them share this belief.
Original post by RichPiana

Are they actually born and raised in Bangladesh. And isn't Bengal something else.

Well it clearly is to do with Bangladesh's culture/ religion.When was the last time a woman got set on fire in England for reporting a rape?
Reply 9
Original post by AJ126
Well it clearly is to do with Bangladesh's culture/ religion.When was the last time a woman got set on fire in England for reporting a rape?

What an absolute load of ****.
Original post by Napp
What an absolute load of ****.

How is it? Isn't Islam the dominant religion is Bangladesh? Isn't it a highly misogynistic religion? It tends to be mainly these sorts of countries where this happens.Its well known that honour killings are commonplace in certain countries.If you want to see a patriarchy look no further.
Are they actually born and raised in Bangladesh. And isn't Bengal something else.

Some of them are raised in the UK, but that’s besides the point I was making. And someone who is from Bangladesh is known as a Bengali.
Original post by AJ126

I believe it’s more to do with the level of corruption than simply just the culture or religion.
this would not have happened when we were in charge of Bengal.

smh
Original post by the bear
this would not have happened when we were in charge of Bengal.

smh

Time for the civilisation of the savages of the East!

(is quite admirable that an small island nation became the world's greatest power at a time)
(edited 5 years ago)
Might not be such a bad thing that Bangladesh is going to disappear under the sea after all???

Nah, I am SO sick of men viewing women as second class in such places. Cavemen probably behaved better.
Original post by OddOnes
Nah, I am SO sick of men viewing women as second class in such places. Cavemen probably behaved better.

i think you mean Cavepersons who identified as men
Some of them are raised in the UK, but that’s besides the point I was making. And someone who is from Bangladesh is known as a Bengali.

I believe it’s more to do with the level of corruption than simply just the culture or religion.

It's always corruption isn't it? Never the fact that both the culture and religion of that country view women as lesser than men.Its even implicit in that photo of her.Why is it necessary to cover her hair? That's sexism right there.For the exact same reasons it was sexist to make women cover up in this country.Sexism doesn't stop being sexist just because you're from a different culture or faith.
Reply 17
Original post by AJ126
How is it? Isn't Islam the dominant religion is Bangladesh? Isn't it a highly misogynistic religion? It tends to be mainly these sorts of countries where this happens.Its well known that honour killings are commonplace in certain countries.If you want to see a patriarchy look no further.

Haha haha have you ever read the bible old sport?😂
I’d advise you not to cast stones when you live in a glass house.
Maybe, but have you seen what Christian countries get up to? Child marriage, honour killings, rape etc etc etc. see my above comment for a pithy remark on the matter.
It's part of their "culture", so it's "ok" :biggrin:
Original post by the bear
i think you mean Cavepersons who identified as men

Sorry, my mistake :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending