The Student Room Group

Share your GCSE Success Stories!!

Hey guys! I saw something similar for A-Level success stories floating around so why not do the same for GCSEs. You never know who it might motivate and with GCSEs only 23 days away, we need all the motivation we can get! :smile:
I wasn't getting anything higher than a 4/5 in English for all of year 10 and half of year 11. I was predicted a 6 and ended up with a 9. Anything is possible if you put the effort in
How Tf did you do that? Any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by blackvoid17
I wasn't getting anything higher than a 4/5 in English for all of year 10 and half of year 11. I was predicted a 6 and ended up with a 9. Anything is possible if you put the effort in
Original post by SchmuckOff
How Tf did you do that? Any advice would be appreciated.

two words: essay plans.
Writing essay plans for the different characters/themes etc would prepare you for pretty much any question in the exam.
Right, like a brief summary of what I will be writing for the test? I'm predicted a 8 but currently at a low 7 :eek:
two words: essay plans.
Writing essay plans for the different characters/themes etc would prepare you for pretty much any question in the exam.
Original post by SchmuckOff
Right, like a brief summary of what I will be writing for the test? I'm predicted a 8 but currently at a low 7 :eek:

yeah basically. You can definitely get an 8 if you're at a 7 now
Thank you . You absolute Legendary Schmuck. :smile:
Can you please help a girl out and send the essay plans. I don't have enough time to make my own!
Reply 8
Original post by Woofsaidthedog
Can you please help a girl out and send the essay plans. I don't have enough time to make my own!

Indolence. You have more than enough time. I did, and the rest is history.
I'm not even trying to be lazy. I have so many subjects to complete, I hardly get time to finish them. If he/she don't mind just helping me out and saving time it would be much appreciated. She got a 9! I would love to see what that writing looks like so I can help my writing.
Original post by Tolgarda
Indolence. You have more than enough time. I did, and the rest is history.
I got a 9 in Classical Greek which I studied in my spare time as an extra even though it was 86% required (I got 5 9s out of 5 I’m reformed subjects and 7 A*s in my other subjects). It goes to show HARD WORK PAYS OFF. Never doubt yourself, aim for the stars and you WILL be a GOLD STAR on results day! Good luck to all GCSE Students - there is still time for you to make a real difference to your grades!
I'm not even trying to be lazy. I have so many subjects to complete, I hardly get time to finish them. If he/she don't mind just helping me out and saving time it would be much appreciated. She got a 9! I would love to see what that writing looks like so I can help my writing.

If you want to see grade 9 writing, there are already examples here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5904442
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5390332

I know a student that got straight 9s that did not have an account on TSR. They did not need these essay plans and juggled all of their subjects as well. Hmm...
Original post by wbanner2001
I got a 9 in Classical Greek which I studied in my spare time as an extra even though it was 86% required (I got 5 9s out of 5 I’m reformed subjects and 7 A*s in my other subjects). It goes to show HARD WORK PAYS OFF. Never doubt yourself, aim for the stars and you WILL be a GOLD STAR on results day! Good luck to all GCSE Students - there is still time for you to make a real difference to your grades!

Hats off to you sir! That's impressive!
Can you tell me a bit more about this person's success, please? It's very motivational.
Original post by Tolgarda
If you want to see grade 9 writing, there are already examples here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5904442
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5390332

I know a student that got straight 9s that did not have an account on TSR. They did not need these essay plans and juggled all of their subjects as well. Hmm...
Can you tell me a bit more about this person's success, please? It's very motivational.

It is not that motivational, at least he himself doesn't think so. He was predicted grade 8s and 9s in all of his subjects, revised a **** ton (no seriously, he put everything into it for a long time, definitely some time before Easter) and the grade boundaries tilted in his favour on the day. Would you look at that?

How did you revise for it towards the end?
In year 10 I got all D's apart from a C in Welsh. In year 11, in the exams, I got A*s in the majority of my papers. I went from getting E's in English to a B overall. In my third history exam I obtained 50/55 on the paper. In my R.S exam I had 96/100 . And the rest goes on....

I did them 2 years ago and got rid of them sorry! If you have revision guides like york notes/cgp they pretty much have similar things to what I put in my essay plans so they might help.
Original post by Littlegeekgirl_
How did you revise for it towards the end?

Learnt quotes and practised writing essays

Quick Reply

Latest