The Student Room Group

Grade 9 Exemplars

As the first paper of EngLang is coming up, I thought I'd post some examples of grade 9 work. Attached is what I actually wrote (or rather typed) for paper 2 of my english language GCSE. I got 75/80 for the paper and got a 9 overall. It was hand-marked so has handwritten examiner comments here and there, which may be useful. I've edited out my details and those of the invigilator/exams officer. If I've done this crappily and you can see through them please let me know. The paper can be found here: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2017/june/AQA-87002-QP-JUN17.PDF

I also attached the other paper of mine I have, English Literature Paper 2. While I know it was sat today (I only got it from my teacher today unfortunately, because one of my friends asked for his. They had already got them back to use in class), I thought it might be of benefit to year 10s. It was marked electronically so just has textboxes with assessment objectives that I hit labelled, so not as insightful. I got 96/96 in the paper and got a 9 overall in EngLit too. The paper can be found here: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2017/june/AQA-87022-QP-JUN17.PDF

I'm aware I write a lot and ramble far too much, so don't be put off if you cannot write as much. Let me know if these help you.

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by _gcx
As the first paper of EngLang is coming up, I thought I'd post some examples of grade 9 work. Attached is what I actually wrote (or rather typed) for paper 2 of my english language GCSE. I got 75/80 for the paper and got a 9 overall. It was hand-marked so has handwritten examiner comments here and there, which may be useful. I've edited out my details and those of the invigilator/exams officer. If I've done this crappily and you can see through them please let me know. The paper can be found here: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2017/june/AQA-87002-QP-JUN17.PDF

I also attached the other paper of mine I have, English Literature Paper 2. While I know it was sat today (I only got it from my teacher today unfortunately, because one of my friends asked for his. They had already got them back to use in class), I thought it might be of benefit to year 10s. It was marked electronically so just has textboxes with assessment objectives that I hit labelled, so not as insightful. I got 96/96 in the paper and got a 9 overall in EngLit too. The paper can be found here: http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2017/june/AQA-87022-QP-JUN17.PDF

I'm aware I write a lot and ramble far too much, so don't be put off if you cannot write as much. Let me know if these help you.

Spoiler

The link does not work for the lit paper.
Original post by Masterspryce
The link does not work for the lit paper.

does it work now?
Original post by _gcx
does it work now?

yes :biggrin:
thank you so much!
Thank you so much, this was a god send for my english paper
Original post by thotproduct
Thank you so much, this was a god send for my english paper

you're about a year late on that one
Original post by _gcx
you're about a year late on that one

how come you used big fancy words for english lit but we got the same grade i feel lowkey embarassed now looking back on my unseen analysis

"AUTUMN LIKE LEAF SO THEY TAKE LEAF"
these are so good:eek:
As I thought, redacting didn't work properly. Works fine now and replaced the links.

Original post by laurawatt
yes :biggrin:
thank you so much!

Original post by entertainmyfaith
these are so good:eek:

glad it helped
bumping as the exam is tomorrow
Original post by _gcx
bumping as the exam is tomorrow

good boy
Reply 11
Original post by _gcx
x

>The area where this issue is most sensitive is within sexual education. While many fundamentalists continue to vehemently claim that children should not be exposed to such a "tender-issue" at such a vulnerable age. They are so dearly misinformed.
>Abstinance(sic)-only education is a relic of the past

https://youtu.be/C0_1g5FVYAc?t=2m20s
Original post by have
>The area where this issue is most sensitive is within sexual education. While many fundamentalists continue to vehemently claim that children should not be exposed to such a "tender-issue" at such a vulnerable age. They are so dearly misinformed.
>Abstinance(sic)-only education is a relic of the past

https://youtu.be/C0_1g5FVYAc?t=2m20s

Bear in mind I wrote this only thinking one/a few person would read it.
Reply 13
Original post by _gcx
Bear in mind I wrote this only thinking one/a few person would read it.

but then you posted it on TSRRRRR
these are just wooowww
Original post by _gcx

Spoiler

Couldn't help but see this now. You are very gifted, and it was a joy reading your Question 5. It really did remind me of Thomas' writing style.

Thank you for sharing this, and although I completed my English Language last year (with a 6 :redface:), I found it really nice to just read.
Original post by dvx
Couldn't help but see this now. You are very gifted, and it was a joy reading your Question 5. It really did remind me of Thomas' writing style.

Thank you for sharing this, and although I completed my English Language last year (with a 6 :redface:), I found it really nice to just read.

Thank you! Glad you liked it. Very touching about Thomas, I remember talking to him about English on discord, I'll have to dig up that conversation again.
@_gcx
I know that I am very late to this thread, but thanks for posting your answers - they are extremely useful and congratulations for getting such amazing grades! :biggrin:
I really would like to get a 9 in English Literature and Language myself, so do you have any tips about how you revised and learnt all the content?
Also, for your poetry answer, how did you write that much? Our teacher told us that we should be writing an introduction, 2-3 paragraphs for the main body and a conclusion. I had no idea that's how much you need to write for full marks!
Sorry for asking so many questions oops. :colondollar:
Original post by studyingpeach
@_gcx
I know that I am very late to this thread, but thanks for posting your answers - they are extremely useful and congratulations for getting such amazing grades! :biggrin:
I really would like to get a 9 in English Literature and Language myself, so do you have any tips about how you revised and learnt all the content?
Also, for your poetry answer, how did you write that much? Our teacher told us that we should be writing an introduction, 2-3 paragraphs for the main body and a conclusion. I had no idea that's how much you need to write for full marks!
Sorry for asking so many questions oops. :colondollar:

Hi

No problem, glad they helped.

I honestly don't remember that much about how I revised. For English Language it was mainly just practice questions. For Section B I've always liked writing so that bit came kind of naturally. (though I hate what I wrote now. Sound like a prat at points) I do remember for poetry, I sorted all of the poems into themes and chose about 5 or 6 to learn well. This was more on the Conflict side, except from Checking Out Me History. I enjoyed the political side of An Inspector Calls, and so that tended to come out a lot in my essays. (bear in mind I made up some things in the exam particularly about Priestley's political orientation so don't quote me word for word) I honestly don't remember what I did with Macbeth and J/H, sorry. I remember being very rusty with Macbeth as a text not knowing who key characters were and I don't know if/when/how I addressed that.

Please don't take it as an indication of how much you should write. When I get going, I can write a fair amount which is not helped by my typing speed. As long as what you are writing is focused and high level, length is not too important, within reason. I did not follow any set structures and just wrote as it came to me.

Feel free to ask any more questions if you have them.
@_gcx
I am on a 3 in English Language GCSE according to my most recent tests that I know the result of and I need a 6 or higher to do the A-Levels I want to do any help in getting me there and how should I revise to get there?
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest