The Student Room Group

Unofficial Marking Scheme - Higher Maths 2018-19

Be sure to post any corrections or additional answers if necessary.

Pictures will be posted shortly after this post.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by WestDragon
Be sure to post any corrections or additional answers if necessary.

Pictures will be posted shortly after this post.

Thanks for making this! :biggrin:

How does everyone think they've scored?
For paper 2 question 10b, you might have to prove you can’t further factorise the third bracket by substituting the coefficients into the discriminant.
Original post by BookFanatic
For paper 2 question 10b, you might have to prove you can’t further factorise the third bracket by substituting the coefficients into the discriminant.

Yeah - probably worth one of their many marks, seems like I forgot to do that in this.
Original post by Labrador99
Thanks for making this! :biggrin:

How does everyone think they've scored?

Thought it wasn’t great coming out of the exam but now looking at these answers, it seems ok...

Not going to get my hopes up too much about my mark though, perhaps I’m remembering all my answers differently haha 😅
see for question 3 paper 2, I got -p+r, and p-r+3/4q but didn't write down the working before that - BA+AE etc. for neither part a or b, so would I get no marks?
Yeah - probably worth one of their many marks, seems like I forgot to do that in this.

Yeah I thought 5 marks was a lot!
Seems most people forgot to do that though so hopefully it wasn’t worth too many marks!
check number 15- cosx = x....x is 90, 270
Original post by Brooke6468
see for question 3 paper 2, I got -p+r, and p-r+3/4q but didn't write down the working before that - BA+AE etc. for neither part a or b, so would I get no marks?

Yeah I’m sure it’s fine to not add in the extra steps I did - I just did those in the exam to make sure it made sense before I subbed in p, q and r etc :smile:
Paper 2:

Why assume diameter? Do you think thats right?
I'll (maybe) land somewhere between an A and a B.

For the first paper, hopefully I'd get something along the lines of 70-75%, and in the second paper roughly between 65-70%.

It's going to be close. Results day is going to be stressful.
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah I got the solutions as 45, 90, 135, 270? Someone please confirm I’m going out of my miiiiiind
Original post by hazellowe
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Brooke6468

Don’t think you would need to, if I recall correctly they were both only one mark?

I spent a while on this question - couldn't find any other way - but when I tested out the distance between the centre and each point - each time it gave root(65), the radius. I kept seeing stuff in past papers where they say 'stating XY was the diameter', though you'd be better off asking a teacher for definitie.

Yeah, that's right, finding all the mistakes now :joy:
Original post by Joviality
Yeah I got the solutions as 45, 90, 135, 270? Someone please confirm I’m going out of my miiiiiind

Yes inverse cosine of 0 should be 90 and 270
Original post by BookFanatic
Thought it wasn’t great coming out of the exam but now looking at these answers, it seems ok...

Not going to get my hopes up too much about my mark though, perhaps I’m remembering all my answers differently haha 😅

Glad this has gave you a bit of reassurance :smile:
Can relate to that from when I was doing my exams- guess a mindblank afterwards is better than one before though :lol:

Hope you get the grade you want come results day :smile:

This will be a horrible explanation but essentially this is not assumed.

This links back to Nat 5 where you got those right angled triangles in circles. The tangent creates this right angle with the centre point of the angle, so naturally the centre point of the circle and (0,-2) create the diameter.

In any case, the distance between those two points is longer than that of the other two
Original post by Labrador99
Glad this has gave you a bit of reassurance :smile:
Can relate to that from when I was doing my exams- guess a mindblank afterwards is better than one before though :lol:

Hope you get the grade you want come results day :smile:

Yes that is very true!
And fingers crossed seeing as I have to take maths at advanced higher haha 😅

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending