The Student Room Group

Advanced Higher Chemistry 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

Thank you!! Why are you putting 20/60 tho ?
Original post by _nim1
image.jpg
The KOH is diluted as 40cm3 is added so you need to find the new concentration if that makes sense
Aw I see now tyty:smile:
Original post by lois_____
Reply 82
20cm3 of KOH divided by the new total volume of 60cm3 then multiply that by the concentration. That’s how you find the concentration of solutions that are diluted : )
For the same question how do you find the H+ conc?
Original post by _nim1
20cm3 of KOH divided by the new total volume of 60cm3 then multiply that by the concentration. That’s how you find the concentration of solutions that are diluted : )
Reply 84
Find the ph using ph= pka - log[acid]/[salt]
Then use the equation ph= -log[H+] just rearranging it
Original post by Mhussain01
For the same question how do you find the H+ conc?
Reply 85
Does anyone have the answers to yesterday's scholar session?
Original post by A_Ch
Does anyone have the answers to yesterday's scholar session?

@SCHOLARuk are you able to help?
Anyone know how to do q4 ?
Original post by _nim1
image.jpg

thank you so much x
how did you get 0.66 for the concentration of salt?
Original post by _nim1
Find the ph using ph= pka - log[acid]/[salt]
Then use the equation ph= -log[H+] just rearranging it
can anyone help me with these?

5. When one mole of phosphorus pentachloride was heated to 523K in a closed vessel, 50% dissociated as shown
PCl5(g) -> PCl3(g) + Cl2(g)
How many moles of gas were present in the equilibrium mixture?
A 0·5 B 1·0 C 1·5 D 2·0

7. Which of the following 0.01 mol l−1 aqueous solutions has the highest pH value?
A Sodium fluoride
B Sodium benzoate
C Sodium propanoate
D Sodium methanoate

10. Which of the following reactions would show the greatest decrease in entropy?
A H2(g) + F2(g) 2HF(g)
B KNO3(s) KNO2(s) + 1/2 O2(g)
C CO3^2−(aq) + 2H+(aq) H2O(l) + CO2(g)
D CO3^2−(aq) + CO2(g) + H2O(l) 2HCO^3−(aq)

20. Which of the following compounds would liberate one mole of hydrogen gas if one mole of it reacts with two moles of sodium?
A C2H5OH
B HOCH2CH2OH
C CH3COOH
D CH3CHO
Reply 91
For question 20, I think the answer is B because the reaction between a metal and an alcohol is an elimination reaction which removes the one hydrogen atom to make an alkene and if there are 2 moles of sodium then you would be looking for the molecule with 2 hydroxyl functional groups. Thats what I would do.
Reply 94
Thank you!! :h:
Scholar answers
Reply 95
The concentration of the salt is 0.333 from the answer to part a)
The concentration of the acid is 0.667, found by 40/60 multiplied by the concentration which is 1
Original post by chic geek
how did you get 0.66 for the concentration of salt?
I think for the 2nd one, to get the right chloride ion concentration you’d need a total volume of 100ml but you’ve already got 25ml there so 100-25 = 75ml so wld need to be diluted by 75ml of water. So 75ml is the answer I would think
Original post by A_Ch
Can I get help on these questions please.
Ligands attach through electron pairs

Original post by A_Ch
Can I get help on these questions please.
Reply 98
Thanks, I thought too much about this question and used so many calculations to get an answer. This was actually and made sense now.
I think for the 2nd one, to get the right chloride ion concentration you’d need a total volume of 100ml but you’ve already got 25ml there so 100-25 = 75ml so wld need to be diluted by 75ml of water. So 75ml is the answer I would think
I always overthink things way too much, don’t worry!!

See for the last one what were you thinking ? A. Makes sense but that seems too easy
Original post by A_Ch
Thanks, I thought too much about this question and used so many calculations to get an answer. This was actually and made sense now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending