The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hello,

I sat the GAMSAT for the first time in March 2019. My scores are 51, 60 and 54. I was working full time whist studying for the test and working voluntarily in a charity shop and at church. I am not sure if my results are competitive enough for GEM and I am hoping to retake the GAMSAT in September again. To improve, I am looking to read widely to help with section 1, and practice under time conditions specifically for section 3.
Original post by Coffre_doré
Hello everyone, just thought I'd make this thread to share our results, and most importantly tips for how to do better the 2nd time round!!

I sat the GAMSAT as a trial run in March and got 53,62,43. I'll retake it in September, focusing on s3, but also, with lots of reading I think I could improve the first 2 sections. I've also started to practice for the UCAT which I'll sit this year, and I feel it's a much more manageable beast than the Gamsat.
Reply 2
I had similar results but I think I can improve enough by September by doing more practice papers, more focused science study etc. What materials did you use, this time round I used mainly the official ACER materials which were OK to get an idea of the level required and the Gold Standard book which I didn't find particularly helpful, not really any better than other science textbooks. I recently got a new book I can recommend called Griffiths Gamsat Review which gives you more an overall strategy for the test and has a lot of good feedback...I'll let you know in Spetember!

Hello everyone, just thought I'd make this thread to share our results, and most importantly tips for how to do better the 2nd time round!!

I sat the GAMSAT as a trial run in March and got 53,62,43. I'll retake it in September, focusing on s3, but also, with lots of reading I think I could improve the first 2 sections. I've also started to practice for the UCAT which I'll sit this year, and I feel it's a much more manageable beast than the Gamsat.
The Gamsat Review site that ElMagus mentioned above has published a student feedback report on the March gamsat with many different students feedback on trends in the test, conditions in the test centres etc. It's available for free here - www.gamsatreview.com/feedback-report
Hello!

Just wondering if anyone has the percentile curve from the March sitting they wouldn’t mind sharing?
Reply 5
percentile-curve-gamsat-march-2019.png
Original post by kindohumerus
Hello!

Just wondering if anyone has the percentile curve from the March sitting they wouldn’t mind sharing?
Original post by _lucylu
percentile-curve-gamsat-march-2019.png

Thank you :smile:
Reply 7
Hi, previous reply was too specific it seems and broke forum rules.

Most universities have a minimum threshold for the lowest section. Meaning below 50 in any part of the GAMSAT means the score is non- competitive. There isn’t any way of sugar coating that.

It took time for me ( 3x sittings) to move
My s3 from 50 - 48 ( 😬 less points but better prepped - or so I thought) to 57 for the home run.

So very doable with the correct prep. But don’t ignore your strengths equally in s1 and s2
Reply 8

Hi
I am taking the gamsat in September too. I have taken the exam twice before but the second time I didn't get to revise the way I should have due to uni pressure but my scores increased considerably in section 3. This time I am practicing everyday to try and achieve a good score.
I am taking the UKcat on the 2nd of October I have done this exam before too but my focus is on gamsat. When is your UKcat exam?
Reply 9
Original post by Rari
Hi
I am taking the gamsat in September too. I have taken the exam twice before but the second time I didn't get to revise the way I should have due to uni pressure but my scores increased considerably in section 3. This time I am practicing everyday to try and achieve a good score.
I am taking the UKcat on the 2nd of October I have done this exam before too but my focus is on gamsat. When is your UKcat exam?

Best of luck for September; did you score similarly on s1 s2 ?
Reply 10
Original post by BTROTH
Best of luck for September; did you score similarly on s1 s2 ?

Hi
My S1 remained the same but section 2 and 3 increased alot. I used the same materials both times this time I have changed alot. I practice every single day too.
I have gamsat on the 11th September and UKcat 2nd October.
Are you taking the gamsat this September too?
And where are you applying to if you don't mind me asking
Reply 11
Original post by Rari
Hi
My S1 remained the same but section 2 and 3 increased alot. I used the same materials both times this time I have changed alot. I practice every single day too.
I have gamsat on the 11th September and UKcat 2nd October.
Are you taking the gamsat this September too?
And where are you applying to if you don't mind me asking

I had originally considered Nottingham ( previously based in the East Midlands and held onto a property there)

Moved to Scotland in 2017 for other reasons and with the start up of ScotGEM and my status as a domiciled Scot / my interest in Remote/Rurual/Expedition that’s going to be the better option. Fortune favouring the well prepared etc...

Are you geographically fixed yourself / what’s guiding your applications?
Reply 12
Original post by BTROTH
I had originally considered Nottingham ( previously based in the East Midlands and held onto a property there)

Moved to Scotland in 2017 for other reasons and with the start up of ScotGEM and my status as a domiciled Scot / my interest in Remote/Rurual/Expedition that’s going to be the better option. Fortune favouring the well prepared etc...

Are you geographically fixed yourself / what’s guiding your applications?

I didn't do so well in my a levels to get me in so I did a biomedical sciences degree. In my second year I have an accident which resulted in a foot injury. I was heading towards a 2:1 but got a 2:2. I am just completing my masters in Nottingham but I am based in London and will return on the 10th of September just in time for my gamsat. Been a tough journey but haven't given up yet

I'm hoping to get into St George's but will accept anywhere if I am given the opportunity. Science has always been my dream eventhough it's an uphill struggle.

Will you be taking the gamsat in September and have u done the gamsat before
Reply 13
Original post by Rari
I didn't do so well in my a levels to get me in so I did a biomedical sciences degree. In my second year I have an accident which resulted in a foot injury. I was heading towards a 2:1 but got a 2:2. I am just completing my masters in Nottingham but I am based in London and will return on the 10th of September just in time for my gamsat. Been a tough journey but haven't given up yet

I'm hoping to get into St George's but will accept anywhere if I am given the opportunity. Science has always been my dream eventhough it's an uphill struggle.

Will you be taking the gamsat in September and have u done the gamsat before

I sat in Sep 17, Mar 18 and Sep 18 and got the overall 59 I figured I needed to be safe and dry 56 and 54 previously . Average of 60 if you like Nottingham and St Andrews use the /3 method.

What’s St George’s 2:2 policy?
I’ve vaguely familiar with Nottingham’s and accepting with a raised GAMSAT score those with 2:2...

Will (SG) look at the masters in lieu of a 2:1 /1st...?
Reply 14
Any tips for section 3 of the GAMSAT? I'm doing very well on section 1 questions on every resource and am sure I'll be fine on the day with this also doing fine with the essay. Struggling with the chemistry and physics questions of section 3, biology is proving easy.
Reply 15
Original post by GEM4545
Any tips for section 3 of the GAMSAT? I'm doing very well on section 1 questions on every resource and am sure I'll be fine on the day with this also doing fine with the essay. Struggling with the chemistry and physics questions of section 3, biology is proving easy.

Best mini tip quickly before I head out is put A>B if answering a question that you are unsure of / think could
Also be B etc. Means you know if you are getting it wrong a lot or nearly there...
What resources are you using and have you sat it before?

You say biology is easy and the other two hard. What’s your academic background up to this point...?
Reply 16
Original post by BTROTH
I sat in Sep 17, Mar 18 and Sep 18 and got the overall 59 I figured I needed to be safe and dry 56 and 54 previously . Average of 60 if you like Nottingham and St Andrews use the /3 method.

What’s St George’s 2:2 policy?
I’ve vaguely familiar with Nottingham’s and accepting with a raised GAMSAT score those with 2:2...

Will (SG) look at the masters in lieu of a 2:1 /1st...?

It is very unclear whether SGUL will accept my 2:2 with my masters. I have tried to call them but no avail just seems to ring out. I will email them nearer to the time. I'm just trying to focus on finishing my master's and gaining a good gamsat score to apply.

I did see last year on a spreadsheet someone had created that one person with a third applied with a master's ma course and were able to gain an interview. Not sure of they made it but seems doable with my 2:2, masters and current work experience which I will build once the gamsat and my studies are over.

I also saw that at George's had accepted a 2:2 with masters there website is confusing though.

Will u be taking the UKcat? I failed miserably with that exam I gained 600 the last time I took it.
Reply 17
Original post by Rari
It is very unclear whether SGUL will accept my 2:2 with my masters. I have tried to call them but no avail just seems to ring out. I will email them nearer to the time. I'm just trying to focus on finishing my master's and gaining a good gamsat score to apply.

I did see last year on a spreadsheet someone had created that one person with a third applied with a master's ma course and were able to gain an interview. Not sure of they made it but seems doable with my 2:2, masters and current work experience which I will build once the gamsat and my studies are over.

I also saw that at George's had accepted a 2:2 with masters there website is confusing though.

Will u be taking the UKcat? I failed miserably with that exam I gained 600 the last time I took it.

The ScotGEM application only requires the SJT component of UCAT. So taking an everything that is necessary nothing that is not approach.

Sounds like a specific reply from the admissions team at the places you are interested in will be best to know if they are an open goal.

With reference to the score(s):
“It’s not over until I win...” Les Brown.

Listened to some of his tapes as background noise when I was feeling low regarding my prospects. More for amusement than life advice but kept me smiling inside...
Original post by Rari

The SGUL website says: "You may apply to graduate entry medicine if you have achieved either an undergraduate degree or postgraduate degree." which I am pretty sure means you can meet the criteria of a 2.1 in an undergrad degree OR have a masters. Obviously always good to check with the uni but I think you'll be fine.
Reply 19
Original post by jzdzm
The SGUL website says: "You may apply to graduate entry medicine if you have achieved either an undergraduate degree or postgraduate degree." which I am pretty sure means you can meet the criteria of a 2.1 in an undergrad degree OR have a masters. Obviously always good to check with the uni but I think you'll be fine.

Awww thank you so much for responding, that's exactly how I read the SGUL requirements but your right it is good to check. I have emailed them but you know they can sometimes take ages to respond.
Again thank you just that little but of hope helps.

Latest

Trending

Trending