ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago

Welcome to the Ulster Uni GEM 2021 Entry Discussion.

Ulster Uni GEM 2020 thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5784464

For general information click: https://www.ulster.ac.uk/faculties/l...medical-school

For entry requirements click: (see above)

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
jamesjmillar
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've been in contact with them since 2017 and it's looking very grim at this point, every year they're certain that it will be open and I'm ready to give up on GEM in NI

Is anyone else waiting to hear if it will open? It's the chance of not paying £9k+ in England that's been keeping me waiting.
Elh33
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Im holding out hope for GEM in NI too. Really not sure what to do. I have a MSc place in England for another healthcare course starting this September. Don’t know whether to take it, do the 2 years and apply for GEM here whenever it does go ahead. I sent an email to ulster a few weeks ago and they seemed positive that it would be starting next year and that I should sit the GAMSAT this September - although £265 is a a lot to spend if it isn’t going ahead.
username2825764
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i didn't know they offered GEM.
Elh33
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by MalcolmX)
i didn't know they offered GEM.
See webpage
https://www.ulster.ac.uk/faculties/l...medical-school
jamesjmillar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Elh33)
Im holding out hope for GEM in NI too. Really not sure what to do. I have a MSc place in England for another healthcare course starting this September. Don’t know whether to take it, do the 2 years and apply for GEM here whenever it does go ahead. I sent an email to ulster a few weeks ago and they seemed positive that it would be starting next year and that I should sit the GAMSAT this September - although £265 is a a lot to spend if it isn’t going ahead.
I sent them an e-mail in 2017 and they told me to sit the GAMSAT then, I wouldn't trust what they say
jamesjmillar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay, so they opened. Really didn't expect that, haven't prepared for the GAMSAT at all haha
Elh33
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Do you have a science background?

I don’t and am nervous, but definitely going to give it a go!
jamesjmillar
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Elh33)
Do you have a science background?

I don’t and am nervous, but definitely going to give it a go!
Got a masters in Biochemistry from QUB, still its like any other exam. Doesn't matter what you have achieved in the past, everyone needs to study for it, im sure you'll be grand if you're commited!
Paulpeppard
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey guys. I'm planning on applying for GEM in UU. Have been studying for the GAMSAT for the last while but have no idea what to expect score wise. Have they given any indication on what score we'll need?
Ayesha89
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey,

Does anyone know if Ulster will accept deferred entry applications? I contacted the school and got an automated response to check their Q&A section on their website. Currently living abroad so I’m not sure with Covid-19 if I would be able to travel back next year, plus it gives me a year to finish my PhD. Would be grateful for anyone’s thoughts.

Thanks!
seana_mac
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey new to this.
So just applied to do my GAMSAT. Any physios in here? Or non physios happy to chat aswell. I’m literally starting to study this week as it’s been a decision I’ve just made that I’m going to go for.
Any of you who have sat it before is it really horrendous??? I’m starting to panic ever so slightly now. But all we can do is lie best and we have another shot in Feb?? March? For 2021 entry so I’m going to go ahead and do the September one anyway!
jamesjmillar
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Paulpeppard)
Hey guys. I'm planning on applying for GEM in UU. Have been studying for the GAMSAT for the last while but have no idea what to expect score wise. Have they given any indication on what score we'll need?
Hey, no there is no threshold score, I've e-mailed them and they are just taking the top scoring candidates. They haven't commented on grades flr uni's but I imagine better grades will increase your chances of getting an interview.
seana_mac
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Has anyone a date for the GAMSAT? Or when do we expect to hear? Thanks
Elh33
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by seana_mac)
Has anyone a date for the GAMSAT? Or when do we expect to hear? Thanks
I’ve heard either 3 weeks before our date or 4th September...
seana_mac
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Elh33)
I’ve heard either 3 weeks before our date or 4th September...
Thanks so much. I haven’t heard anything. I wonder will it be virtual or we have to go down to magee?
Elh33
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
As it stands we have to go to the test centre and sit the exam on a computer. Did you register to sit it at Magee?
seana_mac
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I registered for Derry so I was presuming it was UU Magee ?? Who knows. Any thoughts?
Elh33
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Yes that’s the one!
galval
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I’m really anxious to know their GAMSAT cut off or if they’re gonna be taking other things into consideration also? 😭
Who’s applying for October 15 pathway?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (20)
6.31%
Uncertainty around my education (35)
11.04%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (37)
11.67%
Lack of purpose or motivation (46)
14.51%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (17)
5.36%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (14)
4.42%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (30)
9.46%
Financial worries (22)
6.94%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (13)
4.1%
Exposure to negative news/social media (19)
5.99%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (6)
1.89%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (34)
10.73%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (24)
7.57%

Watched Threads