The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
use quizlet
Original post by katiedoighty2003
Hi - I am aiming for an 8 or 9 and I started revision months ago planning out mindmaps for each character and theme with quotes and their analysis. However I now have 5/6 days until the exam and I have only just finished! Therefore, I now only have those days to learn the quotes and analysis and dont have time to do any essays etc. I am studying Romeo and Juliet, A Christmas Carol and An Inspector Calls in addition to the Conflict Poetry. To top this all off my english teacher has been suspended. What can I do to learn the quotes and analysis? This is my only exam this year as we are entered for early entry in Year 10, so I am still in school everyday.
Anyone got any predictions for what themes/ character will come up for An inspector calls. Does anyone know what came up last year?
Thank you, good luck everyone.
Reply 42
Original post by millyyc
whats a pithy conclusion?

A conclusion that's terse and vigorously expressive. After all, it is the last thing the examiner will read. For example, you may want to refer to modern context in Section B.
Original post by Tolgarda
Paper reference: 1ET0 01
Paper title: Paper 1: Shakespeare and Post-1914 Literature
Duration: 1h 45m
Maximum mark available: 80 (50% of GCSE)
Date of paper: Wednesday, 15 May, 2019 (p.m.)
Paper 2 discussion: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5896242

Some literary devices that constitute 'language' (AO2):

Spoiler

Some points that constitute 'form' AO2):

Spoiler

Some structural features that constitute 'structure' (AO2):

Spoiler

Hi could i ask what u mean by 'pithy conclusion'?

Guide through the paper
Section A (Shakespeare), part a (20 marks):

Analyse how the language, form and structure used by Shakespeare to create meanings and dramatic effects relate to the question (AO2).

Always quote as evidence to support your opinion. You have no excuse as the extract is in front of you.

Only focus on the extract given.

Context is NOT REQUIRED.

Section A (Shakespeare), part b (20 marks):

Discuss your critical opinion (AO1) on how different events or characters in the play are related to the topic of the questions (either a theme or, on the rare occasion, a character, which will relate to the extract in part a).

Try to link most of your points to CONTEXT (AO3) as that is assessed in this question.

Try to use pertinent quotes from the rest of the play as this is a question that asks for a global analysis.

Try to include a pithy conclusion.

DO NOT discuss language, form or structure at all.

Try to avoid using quotes from the extract at all costs.

Section B (post-1914 literature; 40 marks):

Play to your strengths. You have a choice from two questions.

Use three main points (or however many you think is required) that are events from the text to support your critical opinion that relates to the question (AO1). Use pertinent quotes to support all of your points.

Use context to support all of your points (AO3). It is worth a lot of credit here.

Try to conclude with a pithy conclusion that is infused with some modern context that is relevant to the play and the question. You'll want to leaven an impression on the examiner.

Pay attention to SPaG! Eight of the marks (twenty per cent) in this question are for the accuracy of your spelling, grammar and punctuation. They are easy to gain, but also so easy to lose.

(If any of you want help, I scored 78/80 on this paper last year. I am free to help, so just DM me!)

May the odds be ever in your favour for all taking the exam!

Hi
Reply 44
Original post by kalirajane
Hi

Sup.
Who’s got the exam tomorrow?! I’m really worried about Romeo and Juliet any tips for part A&B??
Any predictions for the Character for Macbeth and the Poem from the Anthology?
Reply 47
Original post by jojobear27
Who’s got the exam tomorrow?! I’m really worried about Romeo and Juliet any tips for part A&B??

Why should you be worried? Those who have revised thoroughly aren't usually worried.

Anyway, I have posted tips for both parts in the thread-starting post.
Ok so I have just stumbled upon this thread and it flys in the face of everything I've been told. Can I just confirm - not Structure, Language or Form for Section A Question B or Section B? That's exactly what our teacher told us not to do...
Reply 49
Original post by owlloyd
Ok so I have just stumbled upon this thread and it flys in the face of everything I've been told. Can I just confirm - not Structure, Language or Form for Section A Question B or Section B? That's exactly what our teacher told us not to do...

No structure, language or form for Section A, part b or Section B. AO2 is not assessed there. Your teacher is wrong.
Well that is rather worrying.
Reply 51
Original post by owlloyd
Well that is rather worrying.

I concur.
I'm going to try and swing my AO2 to help with the AO1 as I have never not analysed Language, Structure & Form. I would assume it's not negatively marked if we do so - just you don't gain anything.
Reply 53
Original post by owlloyd
I'm going to try and swing my AO2 to help with the AO1 as I have never not analysed Language, Structure & Form. I would assume it's not negatively marked if we do so - just you don't gain anything.

Pretty much.
good luck everyone
Good luck guys, I’ve got no confidence at all on this one.
are you sure youre not meant to analyse structure language and form in whole extract and aic? these still assess ao1, so you still have to use critical language. my school has told me you still have to analyse to some degree, just not as in detail as the close analysis of the extract question.
Original post by Tolgarda
Paper reference: 1ET0 01
Paper title: Paper 1: Shakespeare and Post-1914 Literature
Duration: 1h 45m
Maximum mark available: 80 (50% of GCSE)
Date of paper: Wednesday, 15 May, 2019 (p.m.)
Paper 2 discussion: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5896242

Some literary devices that constitute 'language' (AO2):

Spoiler

Some points that constitute 'form' AO2):

Spoiler

Some structural features that constitute 'structure' (AO2):

Spoiler

Guide through the paper
Section A (Shakespeare), part a (20 marks):

Analyse how the language, form and structure used by Shakespeare to create meanings and dramatic effects relate to the question (AO2).

Always quote as evidence to support your opinion. You have no excuse as the extract is in front of you.

Only focus on the extract given.

Context is NOT REQUIRED.

Section A (Shakespeare), part b (20 marks):

Discuss your critical opinion (AO1) on how different events or characters in the play are related to the topic of the questions (either a theme or, on the rare occasion, a character, which will relate to the extract in part a).

Try to link most of your points to CONTEXT (AO3) as that is assessed in this question.

Try to use pertinent quotes from the rest of the play as this is a question that asks for a global analysis.

Try to include a pithy conclusion.

Try to avoid using quotes from the extract at all costs.

Section B (post-1914 literature; 40 marks):

Play to your strengths. You have a choice from two questions.

Use three main points (or however many you think is required) that are events from the text to support your critical opinion that relates to the question (AO1). Use pertinent quotes to support all of your points.

Use context to support all of your points (AO3). It is worth a lot of credit here.

Try to conclude with a pithy conclusion that is infused with some modern context that is relevant to the play and the question. You'll want to leaven an impression on the examiner.

Pay attention to SPaG! Eight of the marks (twenty per cent) in this question are for the accuracy of your spelling, grammar and punctuation. They are easy to gain, but also so easy to lose.

(If any of you want help, I scored 78/80 on this paper last year. I am free to help, so just DM me!)

May the odds be ever in your favour for all taking the exam!
thank you
Reply 58
Original post by zara11413
are you sure youre not meant to analyse structure language and form in whole extract and aic? these still assess ao1, so you still have to use critical language. my school has told me you still have to analyse to some degree, just not as in detail as the close analysis of the extract question.

No! It is not analysed for Section A, part b or Section B at all!

This was never a practice at my school. If you don't want to listen to my advice, that is fair enough. This is just what I was taught, what I recommend and what I succeeded with.
(edited 4 years ago)
how did everyone do? i felt as if for the romeo and juliet extract (juliet and the sleeping draught sollioquy) i didnt analyse enough and the analysis i did do wasnt articulate, perhaps a level 5, not the 8 i wanted. The fate elsewhere question was again the same, i knew all the points and quotes however felt as if i didnt analyse well enough I also didnt link back to the importance of fate does this make a difference? i just talked about it. The Inspector goole question was fairly easy however i think it was alright - probably wrong though! we will have to see and rely on paper 2 to be better

Latest

Trending

Trending