The Student Room Group

Have I failed English Literature?

I've just done the English Literature GCSE and despite the fact the questions were easy I still managed to a complete mess of everything. I ended up writing two paragraphs (three including the into, which was quite short), however they were almost a page long. Do you think I still have a chance?
Thank you x
Original post by Porridge_Spoon
I've just done the English Literature GCSE and despite the fact the questions were easy I still managed to a complete mess of everything. I ended up writing two paragraphs (three including the into, which was quite short), however they were almost a page long. Do you think I still have a chance?
Thank you x

Chances are you've done a lot better than you think.

I did GCSE English lit a few years ago and I sobbed after my exam because I thought I'd ruined it. I forgot to put paragraphs in in some places, mixed up quotes and wasted half / 3/4 of a page where I pretty much just explained the story instead of actually analysing anything. Come results day I ended up getting an A* in that paper.

Right now you're probably just beating yourself up over the things that went badly whilst ignoring all the good stuff you have written down. I really wouldn't worry about it. Focus on your other exams :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by MinaBee

I did GCSE English lit a few years ago and I sobbed after my exam because I thought I'd ruined it. I forgot to put paragraphs in in some places, mixed up quotes and wasted half / 3/4 of a page where I pretty much just explained the story instead of actually analysing anything. Come results day I ended up getting an A* in that paper.

Right now you're probably just beating yourself up over the things that went badly whilst ignoring all the good stuff you have written down. I really wouldn't worry about it. Focus on your other exams :smile:

Good luck!

I really hope so, thank you for the support.:smile:
Stp asking other. It'll only make you get more anxious. Same thing here with the question being easy but I think I messed up someone with oerall how I went about writing it?? Whats does is done right so start looking towards paper 2. Its 60% overall so yh...
Thank you x
I will, you're probably right about the anxious thing.
Thank you x
Original post by HateSchx
Stp asking other. It'll only make you get more anxious. Same thing here with the question being easy but I think I messed up someone with oerall how I went about writing it?? Whats does is done right so start looking towards paper 2. Its 60% overall so yh...
Reply 5
Original post by MinaBee

Good luck!

Oh my daysss, you’ve just given me a lot of hope! That’s literally what I did today. Btw in Christmas carol i explained where the ghosts took Scrooge added a quote or 2 for each ghosts and explained why it would change Scrooge do you think I have a chance of getting a 5?
Original post by ajsar
Oh my daysss, you’ve just given me a lot of hope! That’s literally what I did today. Btw in Christmas carol i explained where the ghosts took Scrooge added a quote or 2 for each ghosts and explained why it would change Scrooge do you think I have a chance of getting a 5?

I'm not an English teacher by any means but that sounds fine! I'm sure you've done great :yep:
Reply 7
Yes, you'll be okay. The examiner will be irritated at the page long paragraphs but as long as you've applied the skills that you've been taught (assessment objectives) then you'll still be credited for your understanding and appreciation of the text.
Original post by Davy611
Yes, you'll be okay. The examiner will be irritated at the page long paragraphs but as long as you've applied the skills that you've been taught (assessment objectives) then you'll still be credited for your understanding and appreciation of the text.

An irritated examiner is always a plus:colondollar:
Thank you x

quality is better than quantity, so you could get a good mark still. the only problem is that you need lots of perspective ideas and points with those 2 long paragraphs
Reply 10
Hi guys so today I heard someone saying that you can only get a good mark if you add a conclusion as it sums up the points you are making is this true?
Original post by Davy611

Original post by MinaBee
I'm not an English teacher by any means but that sounds fine! I'm sure you've done great :yep:

Original post by SansaStark#queen
quality is better than quantity, so you could get a good mark still. the only problem is that you need lots of perspective ideas and points with those 2 long paragraphs
Original post by ajsar
Hi guys so today I heard someone saying that you can only get a good mark if you add a conclusion as it sums up the points you are making is this true?

That's not true. An examiner wouldn't give a grade 9 answer a 5 just because it didn't have a conclusion.

It probably would have been better to do one just to finish things off nicely, but I highly doubt not having one would have a big impact on your grade.
Reply 12
Thank you and btw did you do the Chemistry exam today?
Original post by MinaBee
That's not true. An examiner wouldn't give a grade 9 answer a 5 just because it didn't have a conclusion.

It probably would have been better to do one just to finish things off nicely, but I highly doubt not having one would have a big impact on your grade.
Original post by ajsar
Thank you and btw did you do the Chemistry exam today?

Yw! No I didn't, I did my GCSEs a few years ago :yes:
Reply 14
Oh haha, sorry!:colondollar:
Original post by MinaBee
Yw! No I didn't, I did my GCSEs a few years ago :yes:
No, it's not an absolute necessity to have a conclusion. The examiner would consider every element of an essay and reach a judgement based on that. A conclusion might make it a bit easier for them to decide on a candidate's appreciation of the task though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending