The Student Room Group

iAL Edexcel Biology Unit 1 May 21st

Ok so here is a thread as I haven't found any.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
any guess as to what will be on the exam tomorrow?
Reply 2
Original post by biochem3
any guess as to what will be on the exam tomorrow?

new or old syllabus?
Reply 3
new
Original post by luji
new or old syllabus?
Reply 4
new

I suspect you're doing the new chemistry one as well and that didn't turn out as expected
The paper 3 was super weird it felt like an iGCSE paper so Im really confused as to what to expect.
Whatever they didn't cover in Jan 2019 Unit 1 II feel they're gonna focus on now
Epigenetics is also new so they might bring that.
And there surely will be a question on enzyme structures (I hope)
Reply 5
I agree, paper 3 was really weird but I hope paper 1 is cleaner and more structured. Unit 1 from January was tricky in the sense that in order to answer the questions you had to intuit what they were asking for, like the stem cells question from the octopus section.
Original post by luji
I suspect you're doing the new chemistry one as well and that didn't turn out as expected
The paper 3 was super weird it felt like an iGCSE paper so Im really confused as to what to expect.
Whatever they didn't cover in Jan 2019 Unit 1 II feel they're gonna focus on now
Reply 6
If we are going for topics that didn't come up in the Jan paper then I would say they most likely topics to come on are:
- Cell membrane and cholesterol
- Carbohydrates
- Water as a solvent
- Oxygen dissociation curve & haemoglobin
- Atherosclerosis & blood clotting
- Amino acids & protein structure
- mRNA synthesis or DNA replication question

Epigenetics I believe is unit 2
Original post by luji
Reply 7
I agree, paper 3 was really weird but I hope paper 1 is cleaner and more structured. Unit 1 from January was tricky in the sense that in order to answer the questions you had to intuit what they were asking for, like the stem cells question from the octopus section.

I meant the new syllabus Unit 1 paper

the topics that were on there were mostly:
-Nucleic acids
-mRNA and tRNA
-Sugars
-Transport and Health (Heart transport and health that is)
-Membranes
and there was a magnification question and an oxygen dissociation curve

That's all that came in the new syllabus unit 1 January

If we are going for topics that didn't come up in the Jan paper then I would say they most likely topics to come on are:
- Cell membrane and cholesterol
- Carbohydrates
- Water as a solvent
- Oxygen dissociation curve & haemoglobin
- Atherosclerosis & blood clotting
- Amino acids & protein structure
- mRNA synthesis or DNA replication question

Epigenetics I believe is unit 2

That's the opposite of the new syllabus paper
Okay so genetics I checked it.There is one point from unit 1 from there:
2.14 To understand how errors in DNA replication can give rise to mutations (substitution, insertion and deletion of bases)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Exam was horrible
Reply 9
It was sooo bad
Reply 10
Original post by nessyioa
It was sooo bad

Im hoping for a D at this point
Honestly ... i am so pissed why would they do us like this... but at least the grade boundaries will probably be low
Reply 12
Honestly ... i am so pissed why would they do us like this... but at least the grade boundaries will probably be low

The were in Jan so I think they will be this time it was horrible on so many levels like I expected this but not like this
It's like they invented a new subject
EXACTLY i dont even what to think about unit 2 paper...
Reply 14
guys for the pineapple question u just hsve to say the solute conc in in the solution is greater than in the pineapple therefore water will move from the pineapple to the solution so that the water content 9n the pineapple decreases and the movement of water cause no effect on the movement of solute therefore the taste of the pine apple will not change right???
Reply 15
guys for the last question the answer for the mcq is c right
Original post by luji
Exam was horrible

Oh no... what did it have new?
Reply 17
Oh no... what did it have new?

Nothing was new, everything wasn't straight forward and they dived into topics they haven't really focused on before.
The major topics you would expect to have long answer questions were multiple choice
Original post by Archi93
guys for the last question the answer for the mcq is c right

I don't remember and not sure anyway
Original post by Archi93
guys for the pineapple question u just hsve to say the solute conc in in the solution is greater than in the pineapple therefore water will move from the pineapple to the solution so that the water content 9n the pineapple decreases and the movement of water cause no effect on the movement of solute therefore the taste of the pine apple will not change right???

Yeah that's basically it but I don't know why it was a 6 mark question
Reply 18
EXACTLY i dont even what to think about unit 2 paper...

Let's be prepared for the worse...
Reply 19
Original post by luji
Nothing was new, everything wasn't straight forward and they dived into topics they haven't really focused on before.
The major topics you would expect to have long answer questions were multiple choice

I don't remember and not sure anyway

Yeah that's basically it but I don't know why it was a 6 mark question

oh thats a relief.for this question do they check for neatness cause i had to cut some sentences and rewrite.any idea ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending