The Student Room Group

Best ways to memorise biological terms?

Has anyone got any advice of best ways to revise for biology and memorise all the biological terms?
For example how would you revise for cardiovascular system and remember all the process of how blood moves throughout the body? People I know can read something and remember it straight away when it takes me hours to memorise it all and understand it. I just need to improve my memory so stuff are actually going in when I read about them
Have you discovered yet what mode of learning suits you best (visual, aural, tactile)?
Reply 2
Original post by DrSocSciences
Have you discovered yet what mode of learning suits you best (visual, aural, tactile)?

I have been watching videos, rewriting the same concept again and again, using highlighters and recording myself and listening to it but I feel like the whole process takes hours
Original post by Katya_8
I have been watching videos, rewriting the same concept again and again, using highlighters and recording myself and listening to it but I feel like the whole process takes hours

you're not gonna like my answer but as a former top student and bio graduate i have plenty of advice on the subject.

basically you need to stop trying to memorise and start trying to actually learn the material - by memorising one 'level' above what you need to know. let me give you an example.

you might struggle to remember what is the 'dorsal' fin and what is the 'ventral' fin on a fish. the dorsal is the one on the top and ventral is the bottom.... how the hell would you remember which is top and which is bottom in an exam?

well if you read an Abstract (like a summary) of an interesting scientific paper that found out something cool about dorsal fins, or maybe you were just reading a funny magazine article about the dorsal fin of a fish on the surface of the water scaring children at the beach who thought it was a shark, you would easily remember it is the top one.

so you go one level above what you need to know. it sounds like much more work but it's actually much less
Reply 4
Original post by A Rolling Stone
you're not gonna like my answer but as a former top student and bio graduate i have plenty of advice on the subject.

basically you need to stop trying to memorise and start trying to actually learn the material - by memorising one 'level' above what you need to know. let me give you an example.

you might struggle to remember what is the 'dorsal' fin and what is the 'ventral' fin on a fish. the dorsal is the one on the top and ventral is the bottom.... how the hell would you remember which is top and which is bottom in an exam?

well if you read an Abstract (like a summary) of an interesting scientific paper that found out something cool about dorsal fins, or maybe you were just reading a funny magazine article about the dorsal fin of a fish on the surface of the water scaring children at the beach who thought it was a shark, you would easily remember it is the top one.

so you go one level above what you need to know. it sounds like much more work but it's actually much less

That’s a good idea I’m gonna try this today thanks a lot! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending