The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Economics 7136 - P3 (Economic principles and issues) - 04th June 2019

Scroll to see replies

when you say valid analysis points not being included in the mark scheme, would I then be awarded no marks because its not on the mark scheme or I would be given marks just that its not on the mark scheme?
Original post by keynes24
Did you do this paper as a mock exam? Can you request your teacher to provide a sample answer? Perhaps whoever got the highest mark.
You are not supposed to mention all the bullet points and not all valid analysis points are included in the mark scheme.
Original post by Alenko333
Can financial markets come up and how likely is it?

It already came up in paper 2. I don’t think it would come up.
Can you remember what the paper 2 question was about?
Original post by anonymousamk
It already came up in paper 2. I don’t think it would come up.
Original post by TheMightyBadger
Can you remember what the paper 2 question was about?

Not really sorry when I saw that question I instantly looked away it was a disgusting question.
Hahahaha same it was disgusting. I did the depreciation of the pound (essay1) which was easier but i rushed it and gave some pretty bad points ;((((()
Original post by anonymousamk
Not really sorry when I saw that question I instantly looked away it was a disgusting question.
Original post by Serbian_2000
Hahahaha same it was disgusting. I did the depreciation of the pound (essay1) which was easier but i rushed it and gave some pretty bad points ;((((()

I did that one too but I didn’t have time so I only did one point with evaluation and a conclusion. I’m not expecting high marks from it
Who can do an essay for 2018 Paper 3 Q31, since Im struggling to do AO3 on interpreting data. Im screwed for this exam
I always get 9-10 marks.I always give a definition for 1 or 2 of the key terms in the question.Then i give a statement 'It is clear that ....'Then i usually back it with data, making comparisons(if i have to) as i go along.I make sure i write 2-3 paragraphs with continues use of data and analysis. then finally i give a value judgement, stating whether i agree with the statement

If you need anymore help, just ask and ill send you a sample of my past paper

The 10 marker in paper 3 is a data response question. How do you get around 7-8 marks, how would you answer this type of question when using data? Who else is finding this one kinda hard
Hi, If you can that would be amazing! I would like to see how someone approaches this question because I usually get like 4 marks because I don’t know what i’m doing. So 2-3 paragraphs and using the data mhmm i’m always bad at interpreting data and using it to make valid points in the 10 marker.
Also do you have a 15 marker sample answer? I’m relying on the 10 marker and 15 marker to get me decent marks along with the 30 MCQ in case the 25 marker is too hard or goes bad ;(

Thank you very much!

Original post by sabina552
I always get 9-10 marks.I always give a definition for 1 or 2 of the key terms in the question.Then i give a statement 'It is clear that ....'Then i usually back it with data, making comparisons(if i have to) as i go along.I make sure i write 2-3 paragraphs with continues use of data and analysis. then finally i give a value judgement, stating whether i agree with the statement

Do you need a diagram for the 10-marker? Or is it purely data response? :smile:

Reply 50
if you don't evaluate throughout then how are you getting 9 or 10?

Does anyone have any sample 10-marker answers?
Does anyone know the formula to calculate real GDP? Is it 1 or 2?

1) nominal GDP - inflation rate
2) (nominal GDP/price level) x 100
It's (nominal GDP/price level [in index form]) x 100

For example current UK nominal GDP is £2.2tn divided by price level (2.1%) as index 102.1 = 0.19589 x 100 = £1.96tn real GDP

Original post by euphoricat
Does anyone know the formula to calculate real GDP? Is it 1 or 2?

1) nominal GDP - inflation rate
2) (nominal GDP/price level) x 100
My take on the AQA A-Level Economics Paper 3 Q31.

"To what extent, if at all, do the data suggest that the reliance on fossil fuels to produce energy is falling?"
You must use the data in Extract C to support your assessment. (10 marks)

Fossil fuel can be defined as forms of non-renewable energy expenditure methods such as oil, natural gas and coal.

The extent to which fossil fuel reliance is falling can be seen from the data provided in Extract C, Figure 1. The reliance on non-renewable energy in the world market. In 2006 the energy consumption of fossil fuels has decreased by approximately 87.4% to just 85.5% by 2016. This implies that over the last 10 years, there has been a decreasing reliance on fossil fuels to produce energy as opposed to its reliance increasing; total fossil fuel energy expenditure decreased by 1.9%. However, during the same 10 year period, there has been an increase on the reliance on other renewable forms of energy such as
nuclear and hydroelectricity from 12.6% to 14.5%. This could be due to increasing demand for energy regardless of its form may be due to increased population size and their demand for energy; there has been a global increase in the demand for energy by 17.8% during the last 10 years. This means that the extent to which the reliance on fossil fuels is falling isn't as exaggerated as the data in isolation would suggest.

Figure 3 and Figure 4 show that there have been relative decreases in the price of fossil fuels such as coal and oil from 2006 to 2016. For instance, the price of oil has fallen from $64 per barrel to $44 per barrel from 2006 to 2016; a decrease of 31.3% during the 10 year period.
The steep fall in price infers that there has been a decreasing reliance on fossil fuels to produce energy has been falling since producers of coal oil are willing to charge lower prices to sell their commodity.
However, the price of coal has fallen from $64 per tonne to just $60 per tonne in the 10 year period; a decrease of 6.25% from 2006 to 2016. In contrast to the price fall of oil, coal hasn't been in decline as much as oil has during the 10 year period. This could mean that the extent to which fossil fuels energy reliance is falling depends on the type of fossil fuel in question. In this instance, there has been an increasing fall in the reliance on oil as opposed to coal to produce energy

Peaks in Figure 3 and 4, however, suggests that there may have been an increasing reliance on fossil fuels to produce energy. For instance, in Figure 3, the price of coal in US dollars per tonne has increased by 123.4% from $64 per tonne to $143 per tonne in just a 2 year period. This may suggest that at one point in time the reliance of coal, a fossil fuel, had increased substantially. This can be reflected in the huge price hike in a short period of time. However, this may not serve as direct evidence that there is an increasing reliance on fossil fuels for several reasons. Subsequent years have shown that there have been decreases in the price of coal from 2008; the price of coal peaked again at $120 per tonne in 2011 and has never peaked again 5 years on, falling to a price of just $60 per tonne in 2016, a sharp decrease of 50% from 2011 to 2016. There is a need for more data before 2006 and beyond 2016 to reach a tentative conclusion as to whether fossil fuel reliance had been increasing or decreasing. The data given suggests that at one point there was a large reliance on fossil fuels as a means of energy expenditure

In judgement, the data infers that there has been a fall in the reliance on fossil fuels over time as a means of producing energy in the global market. Data in Figure 1 show that has been a 1.9% decrease in the use of fossil fuels such as coal, oil and natural gas to fuel energy expenditure, during the same 10 year period, there has been an increase in other renewable energy forms such as hydro as well as geothermal by 1.9% suggesting that there has been a global shift from fossils fuel as a means of energy expenditure to more renewable forms. Data in Figure 3 and 4 show that over time, there has been a fall in the prices of oil and coal together indicating that there has been a decrease in their demand for energy expenditure. Overall, the extent to which fossil fuels to produce energy is falling/has fallen depends on time. The data in Figures 1, 3 and 4 only show us the trends from 2006 to 2016; as of 2019, there may have been monumental changes in the trends of data suggesting that the original story that the data shows about decreasing reliance of fossils to produce energy may have reversed.
(edited 4 years ago)
Do you think that is true reflection of how you will be in the exam? It looks very thorough and realistically in 15minutes under stress, you are able to give this type of answer? - Or did you take you longer than 15minutes?
Original post by Drakonson
My take on the the AQA A-Level Economics Paper 3 Q31.

"To what extent, if at all, do the data suggest that the reliance on fossil fuels to produce energy is falling?"

Fossil fuel can be defined as forms of non-renewable energy expenditure methods such as oil, natural gas and coal.

The extent to which fossil fuel reliance is falling can be seen from the data provided in Extract C, Figure 1. The reliance of
non-renewable energy in the world market. In 2006 the energy consumption of fossil fuels has decreased by approximately 87.4% to just 85.5% by 2016. This implies that over the last 10 years, there has been a decreasing reliance on
fossil fuels to produce energy as opposed to it's reliance increasing; total fossil fuel energy expenditure decreased by 1.9%. However, during the same 10 year period, there has been an increase on the reliance on other renewable forms on energy such as
nuclear and hydroelectricity from 12.6% to 14.5%. This could be due to increasing demand for energy regardless of it's form maybe due to increased population size and their demand for energy; there has been a global increase
in the demand for energy by 17.8% during the last 10 years. This means that the extent to which the reliance of fossil fuels is falling isn't as exaggerated as the data in isolation would suggest.

Figure 3 and Figure 4 show that there has been a relative decreases in the price of fossil fuels such as coal and oil from 2006 to 2016. For instance, the price of oil has fallen from $64 per barrel to $44 per barrel from 2006 to 2016; a decrease of 31.3% during the 10 year period.
The steep fall in price infers that there has been a decreasing reliance on fossil fuels to produce energy has been falling since producers of coal oil are willing to charge lower prices to sell their commodity.
However, the price of coal has fallen from $64 per tonne to just $60 per tonne in the 10 year period; a decrease of 6.25% from 2006 to 2016. In contrast to the price fall of oil, coal hasn't been in decline as much as oil has during the 10 year period.
This could means that the extent to which fossil fuels energy reliance is falling depends on the type of fossil fuel in question. In this instance, there has been an increasing fall in the reliance of oil as opposed to coal to produce energy

Peaks in Figure 3 and 4 however suggests that there may have been an increasing reliance on fossil fuels to produce energy. For instance, in Figure 3, the price of coal in US dollars per tonne has increased by 123.4% from $64 per tonne to $143 per tonne in just a 2 year period. This may suggest that at on point in time
the reliance of coal, a fossil fuel, had increased substantially. This can be reflected in the huge price hike in a short period of time. However, this may not serve as direct evidence that there is a increasing reliance on fossil fuels for several reasons. Subsequent years have shown that there has been decreases in the price of coal
from 2008; the price of coal peaked again at $120 per tonne in 2011 and has never peaked again 5 years on, falling to a price of just $60 per tonne in 2016, a sharp decrease of 50% from 2011 to 2016. There is a need for more data before 2006 and beyond 2016 to reach a tentative conclusion as to whether fossil fuel reliance had been increasing
or decreasing. The data given suggets that at one point there way a large reliance on fossial fuels as a means of energy expenditure

In judgement, the data infers that there has been a fall in the reliance of fossil fuels over time as a means of producing energy in the global market. Data in Figure 1 shows that has been a 1.9% decrease in the use of fossil fuels such as coal, oil and natural gas to fuel energy expenditure, during the same 10 year period, there has been a increase in other
renewable energy forms such as hydro as well as geothermal by 1.9% suggesting that there has been a global shift from fossils fuel as a means of energy expenditure to more renewable forms. Data in Figure 3 and 4 show that overtime, there has been a fall in the in the prices of oil and coal together indicating that there has been a decrease
in their demand for energy expenditure. Overall, the extent to which fossil fuels to produce energy is falling/has fallen depends on time. The data in Figures 1, 3 and 4 only show us the trends from 2006 to 2016; as of 2019 there may have been monumental changes in the trends of data suggesting that the original story that the data shows about decreasing reliance of
fossils to produce energy may have reversed.

Do you think that is true reflection of how you will be in the exam? It looks very thorough and realistically in 15minutes under stress, you are able to give this type of answer? - Or did you take you longer than 15minutes?

23 mins in total. I definitely won't be this thorough at all but I would use the same structure, most likely with less detail.

I write on a computer in my exams anyway though.
I wish i asked to write on a computer too, I scribble a lot in exams ;( but I type fast on computer lol. - I wanna see like an exam answer that is really short, not as detailed and that is awarded like 7-9 marks lol 😂 that would be ideal because when i’m in the exam room I can’t spell my own name lol and I get so out of the zone. I’m so angry with myself how that happened in the last 2 papers, I should have thrown cold water on myself to wake me up but I would wet the paper so I didn’t. :frown: But yeah I get what you mean with the structure and that, it is helpful with what turn to take when answering it.
23 mins in total. I definitely won't be this thorough at all but I would use the same structure, most likely with less detail.

I write on a computer in my exams anyway though.
TBH this was my first time doing a 10 mark question but the requirements that the questions asks you wont be in great detail.

The response grid says that too at least hit 8-10 marks you need 3 points well-developed with evidence from Extract C with a judgement to the question.

Something about evaluation too
I wish i asked to write on a computer too, I scribble a lot in exams ;( but I type fast on computer lol. - I wanna see like an exam answer that is really short, not as detailed and that is awarded like 7-9 marks lol 😂 that would be ideal because when i’m in the exam room I can’t spell my own name lol and I get so out of the zone. I’m so angry with myself how that happened in the last 2 papers, I should have thrown cold water on myself to wake me up but I would wet the paper so I didn’t. :frown: But yeah I get what you mean with the structure and that, it is helpful with what turn to take when answering it.
It is a lot! And unrealistic to write it down under exam conditions. Issue I notice is the amount of time and length of Q31 and limited development of analysis/evaluation once they reach Q33.
The reference to 3 points well developed includes evaluations.
My take on the AQA A-Level Economics Paper 3 Q31.

The extent to which fossil fuel reliance is falling can be seen from the data provided in Extract C, Figure 1. The reliance on non-renewable energy in the world market. In 2006 the energy consumption of fossil fuels has decreased by approximately 87.4% to just 85.5% by 2016. This implies that over the last 10 years, there has been a decreasing reliance on fossil fuels to produce energy as opposed to its reliance increasing; total fossil fuel energy expenditure decreased by 1.9%. However, during the same 10 year period, there has been an increase on the reliance on other renewable forms of energy such as
nuclear and hydroelectricity from 12.6% to 14.5%. This could be due to increasing demand for energy regardless of its form may be due to increased population size and their demand for energy; there has been a global increase in the demand for energy by 17.8% during the last 10 years. This means that the extent to which the reliance on fossil fuels is falling isn't as exaggerated as the data in isolation would suggest.

Figure 3 and Figure 4 show that there have been relative decreases in the price of fossil fuels such as coal and oil from 2006 to 2016. For instance, the price of oil has fallen from $64 per barrel to $44 per barrel from 2006 to 2016; a decrease of 31.3% during the 10 year period.
However, the price of coal has fallen from $64 per tonne to just $60 per tonne in the 10 year period; a decrease of 6.25% from 2006 to 2016. In contrast to the price fall of oil, coal hasn't been in decline as much as oil has during the 10 year period. This could mean that the extent to which fossil fuels energy reliance is falling depends on the type of fossil fuel in question. In this instance, there has been an increasing fall in the reliance on oil as opposed to coal to produce energy

Peaks in Figure 3 and 4, however, suggests that there may have been an increasing reliance on fossil fuels to produce energy. For instance, in Figure 3, the price of coal in US dollars per tonne has increased by 123.4% from $64 per tonne to $143 per tonne in just a 2 year period. This may suggest that at one point in time the reliance of coal, a fossil fuel, had increased substantially. This can be reflected in the huge price hike in a short period of time. However, this may not serve as direct evidence that there is an increasing reliance on fossil fuels for several reasons. Subsequent years have shown that there have been decreases in the price of coal from 2008; the price of coal peaked again at $120 per tonne in 2011 and has never peaked again 5 years on, falling to a price of just $60 per tonne in 2016, a sharp decrease of 50% from 2011 to 2016. There is a need for more data before 2006 and beyond 2016 to reach a tentative conclusion as to whether fossil fuel reliance had been increasing or decreasing. The data given suggests that at one point there was a large reliance on fossil fuels as a means of energy expenditure

In judgement, the data infers that there has been a fall in the reliance on fossil fuels over time as a means of producing energy in the global market. Data in Figure 1 show that has been a 1.9% decrease in the use of fossil fuels such as coal, oil and natural gas to fuel energy expenditure, during the same 10 year period, there has been an increase in other renewable energy forms such as hydro as well as geothermal by 1.9% suggesting that there has been a global shift from fossils fuel as a means of energy expenditure to more renewable forms. Data in Figure 3 and 4 show that over time, there has been a fall in the prices of oil and coal together indicating that there has been a decrease in their demand for energy expenditure. Overall, the extent to which fossil fuels to produce energy is falling/has fallen depends on time. The data in Figures 1, 3 and 4 only show us the trends from 2006 to 2016; as of 2019, there may have been monumental changes in the trends of data suggesting that the original story that the data shows about decreasing reliance of fossils to produce energy may have reversed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending