The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE English language (1EN0) - Paper 1 Fiction & Imaginative - 4 June, 2019

Scroll to see replies

i did the happiness/relieved one and for some reason all i could think about was childbirth. so i wrote about the pain of labour and the relief felt upon giving birth
Reply 81
Original post by ayairos
I didn't say that the character was a psychopath outright, but I did heavily imply it. Also I kept saying that she was relieved to commit the murder and then at the end, she was relieved because her friend was safe (she murdered someone that she thought was going to hurt her friend).

Well, if it's implied 'heavily' enough, I think the examiner should notice. You should be fine and you should be unaffected. Besides, if you've managed to imply it in a clever way, that really shows your literary craft, and may actually work in your favour!

Original post by Dayo03
I wrote about the relief of getting GCSE results ...

That's also not a bad thing to write about!
Original post by dasda
I did even worse. I had a plane crash and there were no survivors. this lead to me feeling guilty about my survival so when I died, I felt relieved. I don't even know why I chose this question but oh well, let's try and ace paper 2

That sh*t sounds interesting if you look at it deeply. I just don't really think it's bad, but you never know lol.
Original post by Tolgarda

I started off my story with :

Worry. That's the only emotion I felt on that night. I closed my eyes desperately trying to catch the last two hours of darkness before the August morning sunshine would break through my window.

I wrote 3 pages - is that enough?
Reply 83
Original post by Dayo03
I started off my story with :

Worry. That's the only emotion I felt on that night. I closed my eyes desperately trying to catch the last two hours of darkness before the August morning sunshine would break through my window.

I wrote 3 pages - is that enough?

One of the things that I always noticed when I remembered something that I had written was that it meant I had expressed myself and exuded my writing style. That's usually a good thing. I think they'll like that.

As for how much you write, that is mostly irrelevant. Three pages is enough, but there is no particular length that actually helps you get more credit. If there was, the mark scheme would state as such.
(edited 4 years ago)
One of the things that I always noticed when I remembered something that I had written was that it meant I had expressed myself and exuded my writing style. That's usually a good thing. I think they'll like that.

As for how much you write, that is mostly irrelevant. Three pages is enough, but there is no particular length that actually helps you get more credit. If there was, the mark scheme would state as such.

alright, thanks
Reply 85
Do you remember what was the question for evaluation (im talking about context)?
Original post by Aryan3031
Florence has been rejected by her father and step-mother and goes to a maid smiths house and on the way she meets Diogenes (Di) and it focusses on her emotions and feelings
Reply 86
what was the evaluation about?
Original post by dasda
Hey i i think the extract was very hard to evaluate but i think i done well on everything else.
It was how successful the writer was at creating Florence's thoughts and feelings
Original post by xpatryq
Do you remember what was the question for evaluation (im talking about context)?
Original post by xpatryq

How successful is the attempt to convey Florence's thoughts and feelings in the extract?
Well, if it's implied 'heavily' enough, I think the examiner should notice. You should be fine and you should be unaffected. Besides, if you've managed to imply it in a clever way, that really shows your literary craft, and may actually work in your favour!

That sh*t sounds interesting if you look at it deeply. I just don't really think it's bad, but you never know lol.

I think your edge on the essay was a brilliant concept as it had layers in it, of meaning and therefore prompted the reader to take a closer look; lots of ingredients for interest and residual thinking leaves a nice interesting taste; that it was a 'good eating' idea. Smart, real smart, esp when you have to fit in a good story in 3.5 pages or more in 45-1 hr. I really like this, it inspires me to try it out to see how it works. What you had on your side even though you did not practice this type of essay was originality,exploring it in exam conditions,( would have momentarily taken away some of the anxiety giving you recovery time but returns it in equal measure when you go off the reservation., running out of time, juxtapose this with the fact you would have begun a momentum as ideas would come up fast, { and reflect in your writing, short sentences revealing excitement, self revelation} that would have speeded up mind to pen time), in seeing where it took you and that it would automatically diffuse into the examiner as the reader. This time you should have trusted your instincts. You did not practise lots of essay writing, nor did a lot of others. Don't beat yourself up, sit down with a piece of A4 and see if you can't transpose this experience to the future or write an essay like you would have, given the chance; how you would if you could apply it to a real life experience, you are yet to have? You have opened a page, finish it. You made a 'win' enjoy it. You've fought the battle , try to enjoy what you have learnt. You get a thumbs up from me! Good luck. F**k everyone else. You did well, you improvised under exam conditions as is the requirement but what an improvisation! Unorthodox. Trying what no one else did. You did not work to a formula and would have if you had really practised this 'art form' would have aced it, but since you didn't, you did well, considering..now improve on it. Get it right and apply it through out your coming life. Ingenious, I think the examiner would see it as that. That battle done ,walk on....lots more ahead.
Reply 90
are you talking about the psychopath one, the gcse results one, or the plane crash one?
also you wrote a lot damn hehe
Original post by jerryjkd
I think your edge on the essay was a brilliant concept as it had layers in it, of meaning and therefore prompted the reader to take a closer look; lots of ingredients for interest and residual thinking leaves a nice interesting taste; that it was a 'good eating' idea. Smart, real smart, esp when you have to fit in a good story in 3.5 pages or more in 45-1 hr. I really like this, it inspires me to try it out to see how it works. What you had on your side even though you did not practice this type of essay was originality,exploring it in exam conditions,( would have momentarily taken away some of the anxiety giving you recovery time but returns it in equal measure when you go off the reservation., running out of time, juxtapose this with the fact you would have begun a momentum as ideas would come up fast, { and reflect in your writing, short sentences revealing excitement, self revelation} that would have speeded up mind to pen time), in seeing where it took you and that it would automatically diffuse into the examiner as the reader. This time you should have trusted your instincts. You did not practise lots of essay writing, nor did a lot of others. Don't beat yourself up, sit down with a piece of A4 and see if you can't transpose this experience to the future or write an essay like you would have, given the chance; how you would if you could apply it to a real life experience, you are yet to have? You have opened a page, finish it. You made a 'win' enjoy it. You've fought the battle , try to enjoy what you have learnt. You get a thumbs up from me! Good luck. F**k everyone else. You did well, you improvised under exam conditions as is the requirement but what an improvisation! Unorthodox. Trying what no one else did. You did not work to a formula and would have if you had really practised this 'art form' would have aced it, but since you didn't, you did well, considering..now improve on it. Get it right and apply it through out your coming life. Ingenious, I think the examiner would see it as that. That battle done ,walk on....lots more ahead.
Reply 91
Original post by jerryjkd

This read more like an academic article than a TSR comment lol.
is there a paper 2 edition for this lol i think i did ight on the reading but i feel i messed up the writing
Reply 93
yup ! here it is : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5953312
Original post by NetNeutrality
is there a paper 2 edition for this lol i think i did ight on the reading but i feel i messed up the writing
Reply 94
Original post by NetNeutrality

The link to paper two's thread is in the link provided by the poster above. For future reference though, you should either check the original thread for other exam discussions pertaining to the sane qualification, of check the list of exam-discussion threads there. The thread-starting post and exams list already contain the thread for the second paper. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

The link to paper two's thread is in the link provided by the poster above. For future reference though, you should either check the original thread for other exam discussions pertaining to the sane qualification, of check the list of exam-discussion threads there. The thread-starting post and exams list already contain the thread for the second paper. :smile:

thanks 😂
Original post by qb2507
One more thing...
I understand how question 4 is pure A04, however if you look at the mark schemes on the website a substantial amount of points contain a language/structure point. So is it worth just throwing them in the answer alongside your evaluation or should I solely evaluate? Thanks for your help

Hello, where can i find the mark scheme?
Original post by ameliawinifred
Hello, where can i find the mark scheme?

The mark scheme for this paper is usually posted on Edexcel's website at around the end of April or the start of May. They usually post it around 2-3 weeks before the new GCSE exam season starts.
Could please discuss the paper with me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending