The Student Room Group

Advice on KPMG assessment centre?

hello guys ive got an assessment centre coming up in two weeks at KPMG for the audit programme. Wondering if anyone can give advice on the whole assessment centre process and what to expect, someone who expericned the assessment centre in the last two years would
be ideal?

Reply 1
Hi, what location did you apply for? I applied for an apprenticeship, and was emailed that I had got through to the assessment centre. However it’s been a few weeks and I haven’t received and email with the assessment centre dates.
I received an offer for KPMG and my AC was only a couple months ago. This is what I've been telling everyone who's needed help so hopefully, you find it useful, even if it's really long

First of it's really similar to other companies AC, except a bigger group for the group exercise. There were about 16 of us. The group exercise is to design an event but because there are so many people it may be hard to get your point across but you just have to make sure that you make a good relevant point and don't try and dominate the chat. You also have to present your findings as a group to the assessors but don't focus too much on planning the presentation because everyone just has to say a small part, maybe what they thought of, and no one should want to say loads because pressure and they probably know that they need to be a team player.

The group then splits in half, with half doing the written exercise and the other half doing the interview. The written exercise is just an essay where you have to do what you did in the group exercise but on your own and with more statistics. The interview was really relaxed and by the end of mine, me and my interviewer were discussing White Collar and other Netflix shows. Make sure to have questions to ask the interviewer and beforehand just write a list of everything you've done or enjoy doing, like I brought in that I enjoy doing escape rooms and made it relevant by saying teamwork and problem-solving. I also said I enjoy rock climbing and the quick thinking related to it.

The whole day was more relaxed than I expected and went by really quickly. You also get to ask current apprentices what they think, and a tip to make the day more comfortable is to become friends, or at least acquaintances, with the people around you. There were quite a few opportunities where you were just left to talk to each other.

If you have any questions or want any more tips, I'll be glad to help :biggrin:
Reply 3
thank you so much man, just two days now till my big day, I'm neverous but really excited at the same time. Do you remember any of the questions you were asked in your 1 vs 1 interview?
thanks a million btw
Original post by DiamondArtist
I received an offer for KPMG and my AC was only a couple months ago. This is what I've been telling everyone who's needed help so hopefully, you find it useful, even if it's really long

First of it's really similar to other companies AC, except a bigger group for the group exercise. There were about 16 of us. The group exercise is to design an event but because there are so many people it may be hard to get your point across but you just have to make sure that you make a good relevant point and don't try and dominate the chat. You also have to present your findings as a group to the assessors but don't focus too much on planning the presentation because everyone just has to say a small part, maybe what they thought of, and no one should want to say loads because pressure and they probably know that they need to be a team player.

The group then splits in half, with half doing the written exercise and the other half doing the interview. The written exercise is just an essay where you have to do what you did in the group exercise but on your own and with more statistics. The interview was really relaxed and by the end of mine, me and my interviewer were discussing White Collar and other Netflix shows. Make sure to have questions to ask the interviewer and beforehand just write a list of everything you've done or enjoy doing, like I brought in that I enjoy doing escape rooms and made it relevant by saying teamwork and problem-solving. I also said I enjoy rock climbing and the quick thinking related to it.

The whole day was more relaxed than I expected and went by really quickly. You also get to ask current apprentices what they think, and a tip to make the day more comfortable is to become friends, or at least acquaintances, with the people around you. There were quite a few opportunities where you were just left to talk to each other.

If you have any questions or want any more tips, I'll be glad to help :biggrin:
A lot of the questions were strength based rather than knowledge based. The specific questions I remember were; 'What do you like to do in your free time' 'why 360' 'what do you know about KPMG'. There were also questions about problem-solving and leadership roles. One question was what would you do if you were struggling to balance studying and work. Really sorry I can't remember more but I do know that at the end they ask if there's anything else you would like them to know. It might be good anyway to not have any rehearsed answers so that you seem more authentic?
Original post by yaph tam
thank you so much man, just two days now till my big day, I'm neverous but really excited at the same time. Do you remember any of the questions you were asked in your 1 vs 1 interview?
thanks a million btw
Reply 5
I've got an assessment centre tomorrow for the KPMG 360 Digital Apprenticeship. I'm just wondering how long the day lasts as i have not been provided with a finish time. Thanks in advance for any help! :smile:
Original post by 19lewiss
I've got an assessment centre tomorrow for the KPMG 360 Digital Apprenticeship. I'm just wondering how long the day lasts as i have not been provided with a finish time. Thanks in advance for any help! :smile:

Mine was half a day so I was there for morning like 8.30ish and then left at 1ish
Reply 7
Anyone got any tips for the audio submission? What did you talk about, and do you need to answer all 3 questions in 120 seconds?
Reply 8
Original post by 19lewiss

hello, congrats on making it this far. I had my assessment centre last tuesday and it was a very chill day, not as intimidating as i thought it would be. All the candidates had a group session in the morning which wasnt assessed, however I'd advise you to participate to the nest of your ability as the instrcutor does keep an eye on the candidates. We had to discuss an event kpmg would sponser and plan the day as such. The group then got split up, half went to do their interview and half went to do a written exercise which is a follow up from the group task from the morning and then at the end all the candidates returned to do a self refelction task, just talking about the day. You should expect to finish at around 1pm. :smile: good luck with your interview
Reply 9
Not much tips i could give you to be honest, just prepare well, practice your answers so you can read them fluently, and yes all 3 questions have to be answered within the 120 seconds. when answering each question just say " in response to question 1" etc. this will allow them to clearly understand what part your on. In my audio submission i had to talk about a few stories in my life in which i should good teamwork skills and overcomed a task but it may be different for everyone. i used a car wash story and discussed how i organised it etc and also talked about a eco project i was involved in.... use the STAR technique . i did it and i was successful. good luck
Original post by 12KK
Anyone got any tips for the audio submission? What did you talk about, and do you need to answer all 3 questions in 120 seconds?
Reply 10
Ah right thanks for your reply. So you need to talk pretty fast then? And also do you need to go into a lot of detail? Which office did you apply to?
Original post by yaph tam
Not much tips i could give you to be honest, just prepare well, practice your answers so you can read them fluently, and yes all 3 questions have to be answered within the 120 seconds. when answering each question just say " in response to question 1" etc. this will allow them to clearly understand what part your on. In my audio submission i had to talk about a few stories in my life in which i should good teamwork skills and overcomed a task but it may be different for everyone. i used a car wash story and discussed how i organised it etc and also talked about a eco project i was involved in.... use the STAR technique . i did it and i was successful. good luck
Reply 11
lool kinda fast yeah, not too much detail. Use the star method it will help you strcuture your answer and help you figure out how much detial you need to go into if you know what i mean. And I applied for the Canary Wharf office
Original post by 12KK
Ah right thanks for your reply. So you need to talk pretty fast then? And also do you need to go into a lot of detail? Which office did you apply to?
Reply 12
Hi, did anyone get accepted? Also, how many roles are available for the Canary Wharf office
Reply 13
Hi, did anyone get accepted? Also, how many roles are available for the Canary Wharf office
hi yaph tam,
is it possible if you could help me with my digital submission by uploading your answers as I am finding it difficult to answer these questions
anyone got advice on the virtual assessment? ive been told there is an online innovation report, individual reflection, 1 on 1 interview and finally asking own questions
Reply 16
I think with the interview best to be yourself and answer honestly, why I’ve noticed the most is that people look for someone who is nice and isn’t likely to leave when it gets difficult coz it does get hard
Original post by Mrmoon1
I think with the interview best to be yourself and answer honestly, why I’ve noticed the most is that people look for someone who is nice and isn’t likely to leave when it gets difficult coz it does get hard

Thank you so much! i think it went okay, time will tell

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending