The Student Room Group

Student Arrested by Armed Police At the University of Exeter

Scroll to see replies

Lol why thank you!! :smile:
Original post by Notoriety
Wired is the resident delusional lad who thinks anything but ICL or Manchester is not worthy of his attention. I like to call this fresher insecurity, but he seems to keep parroting this into his early 20s. I suggest you ignore him.
Original post by phoebebuffay77
Lol why thank you!! :smile:

Don't take Notoriety seriously when he insults me. He is on a mission to attack me because of a personal vendetta against me.

Feel free to do what you want. It is your daughter’s education and future.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
The barrier to entry is really low, so you should expect such. You don't hear many crazy stuff like this from Oxbridge, Imperial or other top unis.

Of course you do - that Oxford student stabbed her boyfriend didn't she? Some unis are better at keeping the lid on scandal - it happens everywhere.
https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/sep/25/oxford-student-lavinia-woodward-gets-suspended-sentence-for-stabbing-boyfriend
Ok thanks, I'll have a look further into TSR posts and see what we can find. It really is a mindfield isnt it?!

Ignore these posters - Many of my students have gone to Exeter and been really happy :smile: All unis have 'issues' ...some stop the press from publishing them.
That was Cameron (with his Bullingdon Club chums) and it happened probably 25 years ago.

But according to you, you never hear about it.
Original post by Muttley79
Of course you do - that Oxford student stabbed her boyfriend didn't she? Some unis are better at keeping the lid on scandal - it happens everywhere.
https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/sep/25/oxford-student-lavinia-woodward-gets-suspended-sentence-for-stabbing-boyfriend

That is fair. Yes, I had about the medic who stabbed her bf.
Original post by Drewski
But according to you, you never hear about it.

The point on Cameron was that this happened many years ago. Many of the news stories that we are focused on focused on recent activities.
Ok thanks, I'll have a look further into TSR posts and see what we can find. It really is a mindfield isnt it?!

My son's at Exeter and he's perfectly happy there (History). Every uni has people that don't like it for some reason or another - you will find people on here saying that Oxford Brookes is better than Oxford, for example.

You need to trust your own research and impressions from the Open Days you attend and not let one person's negativity about a uni put you off. I would say it is a very good uni, on a par for Psychology with places like Bristol, Nottingham and York.
Crazy Chinese, remember a story from Essex university where a student decided to take some local ducks, behead them and hang them in his room.
Thank you so much, that's really helped me. We were really impressed with Exeter, and at present its my daughters 2nd choice after Royal Holloway but they're pretty close together.
Original post by harrysbar
My son's at Exeter and he's perfectly happy there (History). Every uni has people that don't like it for some reason or another - you will find people on here saying that Oxford Brookes is better than Oxford, for example.

You need to trust your own research and impressions from the Open Days you attend and not let one person's negativity about a uni put you off. I would say it is a very good uni, on a par for Psychology with places like Bristol, Nottingham and York.
Thank you so much, that's really helped me. We were really impressed with Exeter, and at present its my daughters 2nd choice after Royal Holloway but they're pretty close together.

That's good, happy to help. Royal Holloway ask for lower grades than Exeter though don't they? Normally people's Insurance choice is lower than their Firm choice but if your daughter likes RH best, that is where she should Firm

Hello. I was not trying to put you off Exeter. I was sharing information that I was told. I apologise if you felt it was unnecessary.

To be fair, many unis are great. Sajid Javid (Home Sec) went there.
This is true of most universities I think, especially given how wildly over-optimistic some of the marketing they do is.
Yes just one grade different but she did prefer it, still got another couple to see too. Some of them accept the EPQ shes doing too (dont think Exeter do?)
That's good, happy to help. Royal Holloway ask for lower grades than Exeter though don't they? Normally people's Insurance choice is lower than their Firm choice but if your daughter likes RH best, that is where she should Firm
Yes just one grade different but she did prefer it, still got another couple to see too. Some of them accept the EPQ shes doing too (dont think Exeter do?)

I'm not sure about the EPQ at Exeter as my son didn't do one. I do think Exeter would quite likely accept people at around the AAB mark in reality since most unis slightly exagerrate what they are looking for - RH would also probably be a bit flexible. It's a question to ask Admissions tutors at Open Days (or over the phone) - what are the miniumum grades you are realistically likely to accept? Some of them are very open about what they are really looking for, others are more cagey and of course there are no guarantees
The barrier to entry is really low, so you should expect such. You don't hear many crazy stuff like this from Oxbridge, Imperial or other top unis.

Wasn't there that female Oxbridge medical student who stabbed her boyfriend while she was on drugs or drink.

Edit: realise this had already been brought up.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Guru Jason
Wasn't there that female Oxbridge medical student who stabbed her boyfriend while she was on drugs or drink.

That was already mentioned.
That was already mentioned.

I did amend my post once I realised my mistake.
Good idea, thank you very much :smile:
I'm not sure about the EPQ at Exeter as my son didn't do one. I do think Exeter would quite likely accept people at around the AAB mark in reality since most unis slightly exagerrate what they are looking for - RH would also probably be a bit flexible. It's a question to ask Admissions tutors at Open Days (or over the phone) - what are the miniumum grades you are realistically likely to accept? Some of them are very open about what they are really looking for, others are more cagey and of course there are no guarantees
Reply 39
I think my opinions were formed from threads on TSR and friends who have attended Exeter. There seems to be a disconnect between what the university claims and the real experience of the students. Yes, I agree that these are anecdotal evidence, but I have to take them at face value since I have no direct connection to the uni.

In terms of ranking, many people agree that these are very subjective and based on attributes or criteria that appear to be ridiculous. For example, the Guardian puts Bath above Imperial College London and Exeter above LSE.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2018/may/29/university-league-tables-2019

I would not want to put you off your daughter’s choice, as her experience may be different to what I have been told. You may be right that the uni is different to what has been claimed.

You are absolutely right Wired.

My friend was at this university. Thanks to perpetual bullying, corruption and abuse they attempted suicide last year.

I have spoken to four students at different programmes at this university. They all complain of the exact same things. There seems to be very serious problems at this university and it seems to be very very good at hiding these problems and keeping them from public attention. Every now and then thanks to leaks we have stories like this coming out.

Having spoken to students at this university I would not be surprised if this student, the one with the fake gun, turned out to have done what he or she done as a result of pressure, corruption, exploitation or bullying at the university. In my research I have found out that this university does not allow the student guild to get involved in directly supporting students during investigations. I have found out that the student guild at this university often does not answer phone calls and only ever responds to emails, and its staffed by a very small number of people who are over worked, often carrying out tasks whilst on their holidays. It employs one of the largest teams of lawyers that I have ever come across at a university that help protect it and its interests. This university clearly has a lot of issues. One student at the university passed an audio recording to me of staff and students at this university mocking and abusing patients at a hospital. This university is a scandal waiting to happen.

Those on this thread relying in their research of this university on stats, I highly recommend you refrain from doing that as most of these stats are as Wired wrote in his comments greatly unreliable and often disconnected from the reality of these universities. I would highly advise students, particularly those from minority backgrounds, to stay away from this university like they would the plague.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending