The Student Room Group

Alabama completely loses the plot in pro-life travesty.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by naem071
Actually, in that example how the hell is the parent totally clear of blame? An altercation occurs and the child is put in a position where their life is threatened. The parent is presented with a clear choice here, they could discontinue the altercation in order to protect the child, but continues for the sake of it and as a result the child is shot and killed. Whilst clearly the shooter is guilty of murder, how could you argue that the blame is entirely on the one party? The parent has clearly neglected the child when they have a bloody gun to their head, and continued to fight and as a result failed to protect their child. There was a choice, they failed to make the right choice, and the child was killed as a result of that choice.

Because verbal alterations should not end in violence and the one who throws the punch or pulls the knife/gun is always 100% at blame.
Original post by Guru Jason
This is the biggest load of victim blaming BS I have ever heard. By your logic I could kill people while robbing a bank or shoot a politician and get a way with it, you know, so long as I give them enough warning right?

when did I say the shooter can therefore get away with it??? I just said the parent is partly to blame, not, lock the parent up for manslaughter and let the shooter go free without charge.
Because verbal alterations should not end in violence and the one who throws the punch or pulls the knife/gun is always 100% at blame.

Of course, but in the example a gun is pointed at the child's head and the shooter is threatening to kill the child if the fight continues. Are you genuinely suggesting that the parent, who if they chose to continue the fight, would not be under a certain degree of blame for failing to protect their child from harm? I'm not sure about you, but if my child had a gun to their head I would back the hell down and walk away. If I continued to fight and my child died, what sort of parent would I be if I valued a fight over my own child's life? (Hint: neglectful).
Original post by Leviathan1611
when did I say the shooter can therefore get away with it??? I just said the parent is partly to blame, not, lock the parent up for manslaughter and let the shooter go free without charge.

Blame implies they did something wrong. The parent did nothing wrong. Arguing is neither wrong or illegal.
So aborting a baby by scraping it out of the womb with a scalpel is ok but shooting one in the womb is bad? Morally, pro-killers haven't got a leg to stand on.

She started the fight while pregnant and was then shot. If she caused the argument and intended to kill and the other woman shot her back, legally it is also a non-issue.
Original post by naem071
Of course, but in the example a gun is pointed at the child's head and the shooter is threatening to kill the child if the fight continues. Are you genuinely suggesting that the parent, who if they chose to continue the fight, would not be under a certain degree of blame for failing to protect their child from harm? I'm not sure about you, but if my child had a gun to their head I would back the hell down and walk away. If I continued to fight and my child died, what sort of parent would I be if I valued a fight over my own child's life? (Hint: neglectful).

Of course I'd walk away and I'd hope every sane person would but those that don't are not at fault for actions that are not their own.
Blame implies they did something wrong. The parent did nothing wrong. Arguing is neither wrong or illegal.

purposely doing something that causes the death of your child is wrong, would you agree?

if your kid is hanging off a cliff calling for help, but you're busy fighting a person you don't like. what do you do? keep fighting the person, or abandon the fight and save your child?
The logic goes she started the fight and continues with it.
She is allowed by law to defend herself and for the sake of this that means using her gun.
She has a duty the foetus, she broke that and therefore gets charged.

Lesson dont get into fights when other citizens are allowed to have concealed weapons.
Obviously it wouldnt happen here.
Alabama. Lost the plot.

Nothing new there then.
purposely doing something that causes the death of your child is wrong, would you agree?

if your kid is hanging off a cliff calling for help, but you're busy fighting a person you don't like. what do you do? keep fighting the person, or abandon the fight and save your child?

1st point is misleading. It's not the argument that caused the death. It's the person pulling the trigger. The argument and the other person pulling the trigger are 2 different events. The first should have no bearing on the second. It only sounds bad as the example you are using is using extremes.

Also see above post for answer to the second point. I would help my kid but if someone was to carry on the fight, provided the other person was the reason there hanging on in the first place then I don't see how you can blame the person for not helping. It's not there fault, sure they didn't help but still not their fault for the predicament they're In.

No because shooting is a complete fricking overreaction to having an argument.She is blameless.Its entirely the shooters fault.If someone is arguing with you at most you hit them.You do not pull out a handgun and blow a hole in them.
Original post by James2312
No because shooting is a complete fricking overreaction to having an argument.She is blameless.Its entirely the shooters fault.If someone is arguing with you at most you hit them.You do not pull out a handgun and blow a hole in them.

right, but if the shooter is threatening the life of your child and will shoot your child if you don't walk away from the situation, and you decide not to and the kid gets shot and dies, is it partly your fault?
if they had stopped talking, the child could have lived though. but okay

If they are already holding a gun to a child's head then what's to stop them killing them anyway? There is no way to know whether they will shoot or not. All you have is their word that they won't.Honestly with logic like this you should be in American Goverment.Perhaps they'd make you president?
right, but if the shooter is threatening the life of your child and will shoot your child if you don't walk away from the situation, and you decide not to and the kid gets shot and dies, is it partly your fault?

No.They might shoot regardless.

The article says it was a fight.

It says it was a fight.
If they are already holding a gun to a child's head then what's to stop them killing them anyway? There is no way to know whether they will shoot or not. All you have is their word that they won't.Honestly with logic like this you should be in American Goverment.Perhaps they'd make you president?

assuming the shooter is being truthful and will keep their word but the parent refuses to stop talking and the child dies, would you agree the parent is partly at fault.

I have no interest in politics, I'd rather do A-level Chemistry
No.They might shoot regardless.

assuming the shooter keeps their word and is being truthful.
I'm not sure what's a bigger sh*tshow, the legal case or the comments in this thread.
It's the females too.
All my friends in Alabama are being just as vile about Marshae Jones, both girls and guys.
Their comments over the last 48 hours about her marital status and ethnicity have been absolutely revolting.

Quick Reply