The Student Room Group

EPQ-to what extent does a persons epigenetics contribute to their addiction disorder?

I was wondering if this would be a good enough biology (BTW i take bio for a level so does anyone know if this topic would cross over with the course because otherwise i don't think i could do it) /psychology EPQ question because i find it really interesting but i'm not sure if i would find epigenetics too confusing to write about. Obviously I would be writing about the psychology side too.

Any suggestions on how to structure this argument?

Also any tips for doing the literature review because i'm quite confused, our school hasn't helped us at all really.
I know very little about epigenetics, but I junk that as long as you have a clear structure that you stick to, it should be fine. I did mine on literary and translation theory and had 3 sections each with 2-3 paragraphs which I titled prior to writing. For me, that worked well as I knew what I still had to write. I did change format and titles a little between drafts, but generally the structure was comprehensive for me from the start.

In terms of reviewing sources, you need the title, publication date, edition, author's name and publishers. Just it it all into a table (numbered) and then evaluate whether the source is reliable or not, based in teh known biases of the researcher, publisher, etc, how recent it was, history, change, etc.
Original post by rachel.v58
I was wondering if this would be a good enough biology (BTW i take bio for a level so does anyone know if this topic would cross over with the course because otherwise i don't think i could do it) /psychology EPQ question because i find it really interesting but i'm not sure if i would find epigenetics too confusing to write about. Obviously I would be writing about the psychology side too.

Any suggestions on how to structure this argument?

Also any tips for doing the literature review because i'm quite confused, our school hasn't helped us at all really.

First of all really good question. I did a science based EPQ and a good questions is often half the story. Be willing to change it to something completely if too complicated. My advice with is is write your EPQ around factors. Please note I havnt read much on epigentics (only 2 books) and havnt studies psycology so dont really know a lot a lot about it. Off the top of my head 1 factor (possibly mini title in your discussion) could be "Epigentics as a cause of addiction" and then another factor "Socio-economic background as a cause" (this is me thinking with a geography brain sorry if it isnt relevant)

Another suggestion is possibly narrow your question down to a type of addiction. E.g alcahol.

My experience of the literature review is it is the key pieces of research you used. You need to talk about the content of the source, limitations, Is the source reliable (credentials of author, is it from a academic journal etc )and usefulness to EPQ.

What year are you in? What board are you doing? When do you need to complete your EPQ by?
Reply 3
thank you so much! Well I just finished year 12 and my dissertation is due early November so i have about 4 months left and i'm doing edexcel board.
and yeah, i think it would be better if i narrowed my topic from just addiction disorder to maybe alcohol addiction disorder or substance use disorder.

Also just one more question: when i'm reading studies/research papers and the researcher comes to a conclusion based off their experiment - like for e.g. 'adolescents with parents that have substance use disorders are more likely to develop SUD's themselves' am i still allowed to write that in my dissertation (obviously i would reference the research). Because with a topic like addiction a lot of the research has already been done and there's not much for me to come with on my own, all that left is for me to argue the extent to which factors like family influence etc. contribute to substance use disorders or alcohol addiction disorders etc...

also for the factors thing i was thinking epigenetic vulnerability, family influence, peer influence, social media influence, education, religion...etc. but i feel as though this may be too many factors?
Original post by Jungleseu1
First of all really good question. I did a science based EPQ and a good questions is often half the story. Be willing to change it to something completely if too complicated. My advice with is is write your EPQ around factors. Please note I havnt read much on epigentics (only 2 books) and havnt studies psycology so dont really know a lot a lot about it. Off the top of my head 1 factor (possibly mini title in your discussion) could be "Epigentics as a cause of addiction" and then another factor "Socio-economic background as a cause" (this is me thinking with a geography brain sorry if it isnt relevant)

Another suggestion is possibly narrow your question down to a type of addiction. E.g alcahol.

My experience of the literature review is it is the key pieces of research you used. You need to talk about the content of the source, limitations, Is the source reliable (credentials of author, is it from a academic journal etc )and usefulness to EPQ.

What year are you in? What board are you doing? When do you need to complete your EPQ by?
Reply 4
thank you so much! can i ask, if yours was on a theory - did you do like an argument sort of thing...? also for your paragraphs were your titles kept for the final draft and were they more like subheadings or questions? sorry if these sound like really dumb questions we literally had 3 sessions at school in which they didn't answer any questions which is great.
Original post by redmeercat
I know very little about epigenetics, but I junk that as long as you have a clear structure that you stick to, it should be fine. I did mine on literary and translation theory and had 3 sections each with 2-3 paragraphs which I titled prior to writing. For me, that worked well as I knew what I still had to write. I did change format and titles a little between drafts, but generally the structure was comprehensive for me from the start.

In terms of reviewing sources, you need the title, publication date, edition, author's name and publishers. Just it it all into a table (numbered) and then evaluate whether the source is reliable or not, based in teh known biases of the researcher, publisher, etc, how recent it was, history, change, etc.
Original post by rachel.v58
thank you so much! can i ask, if yours was on a theory - did you do like an argument sort of thing...? also for your paragraphs were your titles kept for the final draft and were they more like subheadings or questions? sorry if these sound like really dumb questions we literally had 3 sessions at school in which they didn't answer any questions which is great.

Don't worry, they're not stupid questions at all! I was discussing whether literature is fundamentally untranslatable or not, so it was a discussion all the way through. As such, I used headings to guide my argument so that I could avoid having to introduce each topic and so that I could include an index.
I actually planned my headings before anything else. My titles at the end weren't the same as at the beginning, but by having titles I could write my first draft in sessions based on finishing a specific section of about 500 words, which was much more manageable!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending