The Student Room Group

Should you talk about your EPQ in your personal statement?

If so, to what extent
I guess it depends on your course, if you're doing a English course more so then if you're doing a maths. If your topic of choice relates to your course more than if it doesn't etc.
Talk about the skills it taught you that apply to your course: Independence, time management - discuss the use of Gannt charts if you used them etc. Don't make your whole statement about it but a line or so may look good!
Reply 2
Original post by ella1507
If so, to what extent

I had a small paragraph about mine in my personal statement, mention a book or a journal you read when researching and what you learnt
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
Including your EPQ in your personal statement can be beneficial, especially if it is relevant to your chosen course of study or demonstrates valuable skills and attributes. Here are a few considerations to help you decide whether to discuss your EPQ in your personal statement:
Relevance: If your EPQ is directly related to the subject you are applying for, it can showcase your passion, depth of knowledge, and commitment.
Skills and Abilities: Your EPQ may have helped you develop valuable skills, such as research, critical thinking, project management, and independent learning.
Differentiation: It shows that you have taken the initiative to go beyond the standard curriculum and engage in independent academic work, which can make a positive impression on admissions tutors.
Impact and Achievement
However, keep in mind the word limit and the overall structure of your personal statement. If you choose to include your EPQ, ensure that it flows naturally within the context of your statement and does not overshadow other important aspects, such as your academic interests, extracurricular activities, or work experience.
Remember to focus on the relevance and impact of your EPQ rather than simply listing the topic or providing a detailed summary. Explain how it relates to your chosen course, what you learned from the process, and how it has influenced your academic and personal development.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending