The Student Room Group

Mocks

Hi, I really need help because recently we did mocks in school and I absolutely failed them. I got a U in Chemistry, a U in Biology and a D in psychology. My teachers are trying to get me to drop bio and chem but I want to carry on doing them because I’m motivated for second year. I just feel like absolute **** and I don’t know what to do. 😞
Reply 1
Hi,

sorry to hear that things aren't going well. If you don't want to drop the courses then you need to make sure you use that as motivation to really work hard and pick up your grades! even if you think you are doing everything you possibly can, its more than likely that you're not! I would suggest planning out how you are going to improve your grades and prove your teachers wrong.

I'm sure you can do it! If you weren't motivated enough then you would've just dropped them for something easier!

so good luck :smile:
i think discuss with your teachers and try and put plans in place for how to lift your grades. is this normal for you or was this an unexpected occurrence?
If you're motivated to do better definitely keep at them !!
I didn't do alevels but I did IB and after first year I had a 3 in chemistry HL (which is about an E). Just got my final results back on Saturday and had a 7 (an A*). It's possible to take your mock grades to anything if you're willing to put the work in and go through the course in your own time :smile:
Original post by leilakt
Hi,

sorry to hear that things aren't going well. If you don't want to drop the courses then you need to make sure you use that as motivation to really work hard and pick up your grades! even if you think you are doing everything you possibly can, its more than likely that you're not! I would suggest planning out how you are going to improve your grades and prove your teachers wrong.

I'm sure you can do it! If you weren't motivated enough then you would've just dropped them for something easier!

so good luck :smile:

Yeah I guess I am motivated, it’s just that I had a chat with one of my teachers today and she was really negative. Like she was saying in her 25 years of teaching there has never been anyone that went from a U to higher than an E, I didn’t know what to say because she could obviously tell I was disappointed, but she carried on going. And I keep looking through threads but I can’t find anyone who went from a U in their AS mocks to higher than an E. Before she had this chat I was really motivated as well 😑
Usually I get Ds and Es on my tests, but I really revised hard for this exam. But when I sat down in the hall I got really bad anxiety and I forgot everything, but obviously they don’t believe that because of my previous grades 😔 I even showed them all the work I did.
Original post by Skeletonclique21
i think discuss with your teachers and try and put plans in place for how to lift your grades. is this normal for you or was this an unexpected occurrence?
some teachers will bash student always. it's sad really. i don't think what she's saying is true because a lot of people in my classes have gone from U's last year to C's and above. if she's talking from personal experience it may be because she seems to give up on them. if you really want to do it, you can prove her wrong.
Original post by Salllyrawson
Yeah I guess I am motivated, it’s just that I had a chat with one of my teachers today and she was really negative. Like she was saying in her 25 years of teaching there has never been anyone that went from a U to higher than an E, I didn’t know what to say because she could obviously tell I was disappointed, but she carried on going. And I keep looking through threads but I can’t find anyone who went from a U in their AS mocks to higher than an E. Before she had this chat I was really motivated as well 😑
Thank you :smile: And well done, I hope I have the same outcome
Original post by R.Murphy1
If you're motivated to do better definitely keep at them !!
I didn't do alevels but I did IB and after first year I had a 3 in chemistry HL (which is about an E). Just got my final results back on Saturday and had a 7 (an A*). It's possible to take your mock grades to anything if you're willing to put the work in and go through the course in your own time :smile:
At the end of the day, I don't think they can force you to drop them. I'm sorry that happened to you... it sucks. I think you need to go to a form tutor or a more supportive member of staff. if this college aren't helping you, maybe leave and resit year 12? don't let them demotivate you
Usually I get Ds and Es on my tests, but I really revised hard for this exam. But when I sat down in the hall I got really bad anxiety and I forgot everything, but obviously they don’t believe that because of my previous grades 😔 I even showed them all the work I did.
Thank you for the advice, I guess I really need to work even harder to prove them wrong. Some people just shouldn’t be teaching tbh, they’re not good at teaching or dealing with students well being. I just wish I’d done well in these mocks because now I’m worried that I won’t get into university 🙁 are you still able to with **** grades if they require As Bs or Cs? 😫

some teachers will bash student always. it's sad really. i don't think what she's saying is true because a lot of people in my classes have gone from U's last year to C's and above. if she's talking from personal experience it may be because she seems to give up on them. if you really want to do it, you can prove her wrong.
it's okay! and honestly, i've had my experiences with teachers doubting me and it can feel so horrible and demeaning. i'm the kind of person that channels that into motivation though to prove them wrong. my chemistry teachers doubted my ability to get through all 40 past papers in 3 months before the exam and because they did, somehow, i managed to do them all plus a couple of different spec ones. (madness lol) some teachers are in the job to teach, some are in to help others and you can tell who is who.
Usually with unis, you need to meet the requirements given on the website. some are lenient on results day however but i wouldn't rely on that. you can look into ways to get reduced offers such as access programmes (Uni of Manchester does MAP) for example.
Thank you for the advice, I guess I really need to work even harder to prove them wrong. Some people just shouldn’t be teaching tbh, they’re not good at teaching or dealing with students well being. I just wish I’d done well in these mocks because now I’m worried that I won’t get into university 🙁 are you still able to with **** grades if they require As Bs or Cs? 😫
Hi, I really need help because recently we did mocks in school and I absolutely failed them. I got a U in Chemistry, a U in Biology and a D in psychology. My teachers are trying to get me to drop bio and chem but I want to carry on doing them because I’m motivated for second year. I just feel like absolute **** and I don’t know what to do. 😞

Hey, don't worry at all. Maybe a little bit. Loads of people in my school got like Ds in all of their exams. Its a massive jump from GCSE and no one realises this until we do these mocks and do absolutely ****. If they are the courses that you want to do then thats your choice. If you need to have those ALevels to get into uni or an apprentaship then just follow it through and work really hard next year. If not then consider doing other courses that may relate to what you want to do as these might be easier/motivate you more. Its your choice what you do now but i know that after my results i am more motivated to do well next year so hopefully you feel the same too. Good luck next year! x
Thanks so much 😭 I guess in A level the stress just gets to u so much. And yh the jump from GCSE to a level is massive, but I guess I don’t want to drop it cuz that will mean doing something totally unrelated to what I want to do, I’d either have to do btec law or btec creative arts. I guess I should reconsider, but I guess teachers don’t understand how students can be motivated to do better because they’re too worried about themselves looking bad. It’s just ****, but thank you anyways xx
Original post by charlotteg27
Hey, don't worry at all. Maybe a little bit. Loads of people in my school got like Ds in all of their exams. Its a massive jump from GCSE and no one realises this until we do these mocks and do absolutely ****. If they are the courses that you want to do then thats your choice. If you need to have those ALevels to get into uni or an apprentaship then just follow it through and work really hard next year. If not then consider doing other courses that may relate to what you want to do as these might be easier/motivate you more. Its your choice what you do now but i know that after my results i am more motivated to do well next year so hopefully you feel the same too. Good luck next year! x
Thank you again, I guess for now I should just focus on improving my results and then afterwards I should think about uni. I just need to stop panicking and have confidence in myself that I can pull through!
it's okay! and honestly, i've had my experiences with teachers doubting me and it can feel so horrible and demeaning. i'm the kind of person that channels that into motivation though to prove them wrong. my chemistry teachers doubted my ability to get through all 40 past papers in 3 months before the exam and because they did, somehow, i managed to do them all plus a couple of different spec ones. (madness lol) some teachers are in the job to teach, some are in to help others and you can tell who is who.
Usually with unis, you need to meet the requirements given on the website. some are lenient on results day however but i wouldn't rely on that. you can look into ways to get reduced offers such as access programmes (Uni of Manchester does MAP) for example.
it is good to think of uni now but don't get tied down. I would definitely keep speaking to people who are supporting you and asking for their advice on this situation because they know you better and at the end of the day i'm just someone on the internet. and definitely- you've got this x
Thank you again, I guess for now I should just focus on improving my results and then afterwards I should think about uni. I just need to stop panicking and have confidence in myself that I can pull through!

Quick Reply

Latest