The Student Room Group

GDL Grade

I have just recently received the results of my GDL, and whilst I am happy to have passed it all, I am a bit disappointed that I only achieved a pass, a few marks short of the commendation grade I was aiming for. The GDL was intense and tough, and I am still planning on doing the LPC. However, I intend to work as a paralegal for a year before doing the LPC. Having read up about this, I am hearing mixed opinions, with some people saying most firms don't mind a minimum of a pass, and others saying a commendation or distinction is the preference or requirement. Can anybody share some info on this? Either from their own experience or that of people they know. As far as I'm aware, a pass will still enable me to do the LPC, but I am a bit concerned that the pass grade will put me at a disadvantage. I am not looking at applying at any major city firms, just the smaller local ones in my hometown.
Original post by KJT1995
I have just recently received the results of my GDL, and whilst I am happy to have passed it all, I am a bit disappointed that I only achieved a pass, a few marks short of the commendation grade I was aiming for. The GDL was intense and tough, and I am still planning on doing the LPC. However, I intend to work as a paralegal for a year before doing the LPC. Having read up about this, I am hearing mixed opinions, with some people saying most firms don't mind a minimum of a pass, and others saying a commendation or distinction is the preference or requirement. Can anybody share some info on this? Either from their own experience or that of people they know. As far as I'm aware, a pass will still enable me to do the LPC, but I am a bit concerned that the pass grade will put me at a disadvantage. I am not looking at applying at any major city firms, just the smaller local ones in my hometown.

In terms of paralegal, then unless they specify, just apply and see. Its most likely it will be temporary anyway.
In terms of TC, then it is what it is and you cant change it. Some firms might discriminate others might be more impressed with other parts of your application and how you perform in interview. I doubt they will be overly concerned unless they say so in their recruitment criteria. You can always check beforehand. I wouldnt worry especially as theres not a lot you can do.
Reply 2
Yeah that's what I've been told. I know I can't really do anything and I'm stuck with this mark now, just a bit frustrated that it's not going to make the application process any easier. Did you do the GDL?
Original post by KJT1995

My daughter was told by Kaplan's careers adviser (dealing exclusively with GDL/LPC students) that her ability to secure a TC would be severely compromised if she "only" got a Pass on her GDL (I put it in inverted commas because I know how intense the course is and how much of an achievement it is to pass it without needing any retakes). The university of Law would have happily accepted her onto their LPC course (they were even offering places to people who had to retake several modules) but we chose to believe the Kaplan careers adviser since she seemed to be impartial. In fact, she was efffectively turning away business since my daughter would have done her LPC at Kaplan if the careers adviser had given a more optimistic message.

My advice to you would be to work as a paralegal if you can find a suitable job, and apply for some training contracts while you are working, with a view to trying to get a firm to pay for your LPC, rather than you paying for it yourself. The year's experience will give you the opportunity to learn a lot more about the realities of working in the legal sector, while you will be able to see for yourself how receptive Law firms are to your applications.
Reply 4
Yeah I intend to work as a paralegal and hopefully the firm will offer to sponsor the LPC for me. That is why I have chosen to take the paralegal path, as it'll give me a bit of practical insight into the profession so hopefully I'll be better prepared. And yeah, like I said, the GDL was tough but I am under the impression that most achieve at least a commendation or a distinction. Whilst my past grades are respectable, some have slightly iffy and I am even more concerned now that the GDL outcome is only going to add to this burden, making it even more difficult.

If you don't mind me asking, did your daughter only achieve a pass? If so what was her luck in the end with the application process?
Reply 5
Original post by harrysbar
My daughter was told by Kaplan's careers adviser (dealing exclusively with GDL/LPC students) that her ability to secure a TC would be severely compromised if she "only" got a Pass on her GDL (I put it in inverted commas because I know how intense the course is and how much of an achievement it is to pass it without needing any retakes). The university of Law would have happily accepted her onto their LPC course (they were even offering places to people who had to retake several modules) but we chose to believe the Kaplan careers adviser since she seemed to be impartial. In fact, she was efffectively turning away business since my daughter would have done her LPC at Kaplan if the careers adviser had given a more optimistic message.

My advice to you would be to work as a paralegal if you can find a suitable job, and apply for some training contracts while you are working, with a view to trying to get a firm to pay for your LPC, rather than you paying for it yourself. The year's experience will give you the opportunity to learn a lot more about the realities of working in the legal sector, while you will be able to see for yourself how receptive Law firms are to your applications.

Yeah I intend to work as a paralegal and hopefully the firm will offer to sponsor the LPC for me. That is why I have chosen to take the paralegal path, as it'll give me a bit of practical insight into the profession so hopefully I'll be better prepared. And yeah, like I said, the GDL was tough but I am under the impression that most achieve at least a commendation or a distinction. Whilst my past grades are respectable, some have slightly iffy and I am even more concerned now that the GDL outcome is only going to add to this burden, making it even more difficult.

If you don't mind me asking, did your daughter only achieve a pass? If so what was her luck in the end with the application process?
Original post by KJT1995

Yes she did only get a Pass so decided not to do the LPC after all - she hadn't enjoyed the GDL anyway and was having doubts about her suitability for the career so made the decision to switch to something completely different.

I don't know about where you studied it, but at the Uni of Law Bloomsbury, quite a few of her cohort got Passes or didn't get even a Pass and had to resit in August.
Reply 7
I am a law graduate from India planning to start GDL in sep 2019. I would like to work as a paralegal for parttime during the studies. I have around 8 months of experience working as a trainee lawyer in India. Are there any firms in Birmingham providing part time oppurtunities there? Is my experience counted there? Im not looking for any high end law firms. Just want to get some uk work experience
Original post by 999tigger
In terms of paralegal, then unless they specify, just apply and see. Its most likely it will be temporary anyway.
In terms of TC, then it is what it is and you cant change it. Some firms might discriminate others might be more impressed with other parts of your application and how you perform in interview. I doubt they will be overly concerned unless they say so in their recruitment criteria. You can always check beforehand. I wouldnt worry especially as theres not a lot you can do.
Reply 8
Out of curiosity, to both the OP and @harrysbar:

Where many of the people on your (daughters) GDL course sponsored and already had training contracts lined up?
Original post by Abru001
I am a law graduate from India planning to start GDL in sep 2019. I would like to work as a paralegal for parttime during the studies. I have around 8 months of experience working as a trainee lawyer in India. Are there any firms in Birmingham providing part time oppurtunities there? Is my experience counted there? Im not looking for any high end law firms. Just want to get some uk work experience

The legal market is very competitive.
Prepare your CV and apply.
Note the work restrictions on your visa.
Make your mind up whether you want work experience or paid work.

You can id firms using this website.
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/
https://chambers.com/guide/uk?publicationTypeId=1
https://www.legal500.com/c/west-midlands/overview

You can id agencies and possible job opportunities using these sites.
https://www.indeed.co.uk/Paralegal-jobs-in-Birmingham
https://www.totallylegal.com/jobs/paralegal/birmingham/

They will want to know you have the right to work in the UK, which you will do according to the terms of your visa.
Original post by TC123453

Where many of the people on your (daughters) GDL course sponsored and already had training contracts lined up?

No that was very rare at the Bloomsbury campus, nearly everyone was self funding.

Although apparently the students with training contracts are more likely to go to U of L's other London campus at Moorgate, as this is where the bigger firms offering the paid GDL tend to send their trainees. If they have a preference, firms are more likely to opt for Moorgate which has a more commercial "feel"
Reply 11
Original post by TC123453

No, on my GDL course very few people (only 2 I think) actually had training contracts lined up. The rest were self funded (myself included). Are you thinking of starting it this year?
Reply 12
Yes she did only get a Pass so decided not to do the LPC after all - she hadn't enjoyed the GDL anyway and was having doubts about her suitability for the career so made the decision to switch to something completely different.

I don't know about where you studied it, but at the Uni of Law Bloomsbury, quite a few of her cohort got Passes or didn't get even a Pass and had to resit in August.

Oh I see. Yeah I am not surprised as it is a seriously intense course. My course leader told me that by all means you can still do the LPC with a pass, and that many firms don't mind it either, provided you have the qualification.
Reply 13
I am not really looking to apply to those sorts of firms, mainly smaller ones. I actually achieved 2:1's on three modules but the weight of the others averaged it out to just a pass. Most of the firms I have looked at do not expressly state grade requirements in their recruitment info, so I am just going to carry on applying and see. Fingers crossed something will come up. Have you done the GDL?
Reply 14
Original post by 999tigger

Yeah that's what I've been told, and I intend to do as you've mentioned. I know I can't really do anything and I'm stuck with this mark now, just a bit frustrated that it's not going to make the application process any easier. Did you do the GDL?
Original post by KJT1995
My course leader told me that by all means you can still do the LPC with a pass, and that many firms don't mind it either, provided you have the qualification.

The experience of my daughter's friends who did progress on to the LPC with a Pass would suggest otherwise - they all seem to still be working as paralegals several years later, or have gone into something else now. Of course that's just a small sample of people but it is enough to make me advise people not to be too quick to self fund the LPC if they only have a pass at GDL ....if it's really no barrier to getting a TC then it shouldn't be that hard to find a firm to fund the LPC.

It may well be true that some firms don't mind it, but it is an extra layer of risk....and you need to bear in mind that your course leader may be biased as they need to recruit students for the course each year
Reply 16
The experience of my daughter's friends who did progress on to the LPC with a Pass would suggest otherwise - they all seem to still be working as paralegals several years later, or have gone into something else now. Of course that's just a small sample of people but it is enough to make me advise people not to be too quick to self fund the LPC if they only have a pass at GDL ....if it's really no barrier to getting a TC then it shouldn't be that hard to find a firm to fund the LPC.

It may well be true that some firms don't mind it, but it is an extra layer of risk....and you need to bear in mind that your course leader may be biased as they need to recruit students for the course each year

I do not intend to self fund the LPC. I am going to look into getting a firm to sponsor it for me, that is if they will allow this. Yeah I understand the risk, it just looks like I will have to work harder to get my foot in the door.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending