The Student Room Group

international Relations and a GDL ?

Helloooo ,

im a YEAR 13 student and im choosing what to study at uni this year.
I want to study law but lately ive taken interest in international relations.
My question is , would an IR degree be a good fit with a GDL?
Reply 1
Yes definitely. I'm currently a 2nd year law student and I don't think it's necessary at all to study a law degree at undergraduate level and try and achieve a good degree grade if you're interested in another degree. Study what you enjoy for the 3 years at uni and the pathway into law is still accessible.
Original post by spam44
Helloooo ,

im a YEAR 13 student and im choosing what to study at uni this year.
I want to study law but lately ive taken interest in international relations.
My question is , would an IR degree be a good fit with a GDL?

Hi @spam44

To be able to do a GDL at the University of Law you just need a 2:2 or above in any undergraduate subject. In fact, having done the GDL last year, there were people on the course from all sorts of academic backgrounds. Therefore, IR certainly fits from a practical application point of view. It is also a great fit as a subject in relation to studying law when you are on the GDL as there are lots of similar topics and skills that you will be required to draw upon. In order to get a good grade at undergraduate you need to enjoy the subject that you are studying so if you think you would enjoy an IR degree more than Law then study that and convert to law later. I did an English Literature degree and have had absolutely no issues in my legal education/ career so far!

I hope this helps and good luck :smile:

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending