The Student Room Group

Access to Higher Education (Engineering)

I have 2 offers from colleges to start my Access course, Trafford College (Stretford), and Manchester College (City Labs). Anyone with any thoughts or experience of the two places, and which would be the better pick?
Original post by Arcann
I have 2 offers from colleges to start my Access course, Trafford College (Stretford), and Manchester College (City Labs). Anyone with any thoughts or experience of the two places, and which would be the better pick?

Have you been to an open day? If not then go and look round both plus ask if you can speak to someone.
You can look up their ofsted rating here.

https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/find-a-school-in-england
Original post by Arcann

Hey OP, I've just completed the engineering access course this july at TMC and I really enjoyed it.

It was definitely challenging for me having been out of education for 8 years, but the 2 tutors I had were fantastic in my opinion.

All of the graded assignments that I did were closed book timed assesments, except for one lab report at the end of the year.

If you have anything specific you would like to know, about the course or City Labs I'd be more than happy to answer any questions.
Reply 3
Original post by shakey1992jm
Hey OP, I've just completed the engineering access course this july at TMC and I really enjoyed it.

It was definitely challenging for me having been out of education for 8 years, but the 2 tutors I had were fantastic in my opinion.

All of the graded assignments that I did were closed book timed assesments, except for one lab report at the end of the year.

If you have anything specific you would like to know, about the course or City Labs I'd be more than happy to answer any questions.

Hi Shakey,
Thanks for your reply, its really encouraging to hear from someone who has completed the course and enjoyed a positive experience! Apologies for the time gap in replying, I decided to go away for a couple days, however before doing so, I accepted a place at Manchester rather than Trafford. I'd love if you could answer a few questions for me!!
Which days and how many days a week did you attend? (I understand from an interview at Trafford that they are in the college 3 days a week, wondering if it is similiar)
How many hours did you spend, roughly, studying at home a week?
How many people were in the same 'class' last year just to give me a rough estimate?!!
How did you find city labs as a facility?
What would you say was the average age of the 'class'? (Im 20 myself)
Finally anything at all you didnt like about your experience, or anything I should be wary of.
Hope those aren't too much to answer, any help is much appreciated.
Many Thanks, Ben.
Reply 4
Original post by shakey1992jm

Hi, I'm also interested in doing that exact course (I'd like to go on to do something architecture related at university) and wanted to know more about the course contents and the breakdown of credits. In particular, I'd like to know how many math credits there are in the course? Undergraduate courses I'm looking at quote there should be about 15 math-related credits and wanted to know if this access course would align with that?

Would really appreciate any and all info. Thanks!
Original post by Arcann
Which days and how many days a week did you attend?

I was in classes twice a week on Monday and Wednesday. The Monday was a half day and the Wednesday was a full day so around 9 hours a week in total.

Original post by Arcann
How many hours did you spend, roughly, studying at home a week?

I'd say I probably spent the same amount of time studying at home that I did in the lesson.

Original post by Arcann
How many people were in the same 'class' last year just to give me a rough estimate?!!

In my class there was about 15 people in my class.

Original post by Arcann
How did you find city labs as a facility?

City labs is very small compared to one of the main campuses like Nichols. This is due to the fact that it's catered for access students in engineering/medical/science. It does have a small library however I never struggled to find what I was looking for. There are no canteen facilities on site however there is a Starbucks next door and plenty of places to eat on Oxford Rd.

Original post by Arcann
What would you say was the average age of the 'class'?

I'd say the average age was around 21-22. However there were people in my class in there mid/late 20's (i'm 27 myself) and in the other engineering class there was a lady in her 40's.
Original post by spequa
Hi, I'm also interested in doing that exact course (I'd like to go on to do something architecture related at university) and wanted to know more about the course contents and the breakdown of credits. In particular, I'd like to know how many math credits there are in the course? Undergraduate courses I'm looking at quote there should be about 15 math-related credits and wanted to know if this access course would align with that?

Would really appreciate any and all info. Thanks!

On my course there were 6 maths modules(18 credits), 6 physics(18 credits) modules, 3 electronics modules(9 credits) and 5 ungraded developmental modules.

The maths modules were:
Coordinate Geometry.
Algebra.
Differentiation.
Integration.
Trigonometry.
Complex Numbers.

The physics modules were:
Physical quantities and algebraic methods.
Dynamics and statics.
Circular motion,Simple Harmonic Motion and Resonance.
Properties Of Matter.
Heat And Thermodynamics.
Fluid Mechanics.

The electronics modules were:
AC Waveforms.
AC Circuit Analysis.
Applied electronics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending