The Student Room Group

Pound falls to 28 month low amid Brexit fears

Let me guess, Brexiteers will claim this is somehow fantastic news?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49156403
If you had been watching the pound it's been range bound for nearly 3 years. It's not really new news.

Obviously the £ will fall alot further when no deal brexit occurs. But the B of E doesn't care and neither does the government, they believe the inflation will actually make British goods more attractive abroad. The issue is England doesn't produce very much.

It also fails to answer how price stability will be ensured if the pound drops to 1:1 to the Euro.

Everyone always focuses on GBP/USD... But that's not where the UK buys it's dinner lol.
Reply 2
Original post by Realitysreflexx
If you had been watching the pound it's been range bound for nearly 3 years. It's not really new news.

Obviously the £ will fall alot further when no deal brexit occurs. But the B of E doesn't care and neither does the government, they believe the inflation will actually make British goods more attractive abroad. The issue is England doesn't produce very much.

It also fails to answer how price stability will be ensured if the pound drops to 1:1 to the Euro.

Everyone always focuses on GBP/USD... But that's not where the UK buys it's dinner lol.

And what it does produce is usually made from imported goods to boot.
Reply 3
Original post by Napp
Let me guess, Brexiteers will claim this is somehow fantastic news?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49156403

Not necessarily but Remainers can safely be expected to portray it as terrible news. Footsie nicely up yesterday on the back of the falling pound, as it always happens when it falls a bit against the Dollar.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by z-hog
Not necessarily but Remainers can safely be expected to portray it as terrible news. Footsie nicely up yesterday on the back of the falling pound, investors and pensioners not bothered much.

So you admit it’s bad news..?
Need I point out why that is irrelevant to the vast majority of the population? Or at least the majority who won’t be dead within the decade?
Although, with that being said, seeing as this makes medicine more expensive and i imagine said coffin dodgers you cited will need it...
Reply 5
Original post by Napp
So you admit it’s bad news..?
Need I point out why that is irrelevant to the vast majority of the population? Or at least the majority who won’t be dead within the decade?
Although, with that being said, seeing as this makes medicine more expensive and i imagine said coffin dodgers you cited will need it...

To cut a long story short, Brexit is bad news for Remainers but life goes on and their desire to see it reversed will take them nowhere.
Reply 6
Original post by z-hog
To cut a long story short, Brexit is bad news for Remainers but life goes on and their attachment to the notion that it can be reversed is fading fast.

Is it though?
Original post by z-hog
To cut a long story short, Brexit is bad news for Remainers but life goes on and their desire to see it reversed will take them nowhere.

No deal is like ripping the band aid off the patient. People are afraid of that. So if they can't reverse it at least allow them their right to be scared.

Luckily the UK has just appointed one of the most privately educated, elitist cabinets ever.. 😂 😂 And that's a loaded statement.

All of these people will survive Brexit just fine.

Jacob, Nigel, Boris, insert posh prick.

It's the poor common folk that voted for brexit including you who will really suffer. Especially on food prices. Wait till that kicks in.
No deal is like ripping the band aid off the patient.

Wrong side of the Atlantic.
Original post by AngeryPenguin
Wrong side of the Atlantic.

Not even sure what that's supposed to mean.
It's the poor common folk that voted for brexit including you who will really suffer. Especially on food prices. Wait till that kicks in.

well they only have themselves to blame.
Reply 11
Not even sure what that's supposed to mean.

Band aid is an american term. In britian the word is plaster.

Ripping the plaster off the wound.
Original post by Bio 7
Band aid is an american term. In britian the word is plaster.

Ripping the plaster off the wound.

Ahh see i guess brexit supporter's only watch tv and use idioms that are purely British in nature. Really significant to the issue at hand.

Which is really odd why would you put plaster on your arm, that goes on a wall.

But i guess it's taken from the German word for bandage which is pflaster... 😂
Anyone claiming this is news, doesn't understand how the market works.
Reply 14
Original post by Jebedee
Anyone claiming this is news, doesn't understand how the market works.

Are you referring to yourself here or?
Original post by Napp
Are you referring to yourself here or?

The pound dropping slightly due to market uncertainty is not some "wow gotcha brexiteers" moment.

We knew it would happen and its a minor side effect in a much larger plan.
Reply 16
Original post by Jebedee
The pound dropping slightly due to market uncertainty is not some "wow gotcha brexiteers" moment.

Uhuh... thats one way to look at it, i mean, its the wrong way and is at variance with the facts but hey ho.

We knew it would happen and its a minor side effect in a much larger plan.

Oh please say this sentence is a joke? :lol:
And who is "we" or have you started using the royal pronoun now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending