The Student Room Group

Not enough student finance years left, any options

So to start off I've had 2 years previous study where I dropped out of uni on my 2nd year and gave no explanation to the university (I know its my own fault, and I give complete disregard to my future) but I'm just wondering if I have any other options of funding.I know finance is worked out as 'length of course applied for' 1 - 'Years of previous study' = finance entitlement.So regardless if I apply for a 2 year HND or a 3 year bachelors I'm always left 1 year short. I cant provide any evidence for mitigating circumstances to gain an extra year so that's out of the window, so is my only other option to save up and pay for the first year myself? I'm ex military so do you think I can try and gain partial funding from say the british legion? or are there any other ways? I cant be the only person who's been as daft as me.Cheers!
Original post by danielrennoldson
So to start off I've had 2 years previous study where I dropped out of uni on my 2nd year and gave no explanation to the university (I know its my own fault, and I give complete disregard to my future) but I'm just wondering if I have any other options of funding.I know finance is worked out as 'length of course applied for' 1 - 'Years of previous study' = finance entitlement.So regardless if I apply for a 2 year HND or a 3 year bachelors I'm always left 1 year short. I cant provide any evidence for mitigating circumstances to gain an extra year so that's out of the window, so is my only other option to save up and pay for the first year myself? I'm ex military so do you think I can try and gain partial funding from say the british legion? or are there any other ways? I cant be the only person who's been as daft as me.Cheers!

which subject is it you want to study?
Original post by claireestelle
which subject is it you want to study?

Hi Claire, I'd loved to study a kind of building & planning degree, mainly surveying
Hi Claire, I'd loved to study a kind of building & planning degree, mainly surveying

what was the degree you did before? if there's any crossover then maybe you could transfer credits or perhaps finish the undergrad subject you did then see what the postgrad options on to do surveying and then you can use a postgrad loan for that.
what was the degree you did before? if there's any crossover then maybe you could transfer credits or perhaps finish the undergrad subject you did then see what the postgrad options on to do surveying and then you can use a postgrad loan for that.

My previous study was engineering with an integrated foundation year so it was a 4 year course and I only completed the foundation year, before I took a job opportunity Id been offered. That's why I cant see a cross over, or I dont think I'd have funding to go back on the course and finish it.
My previous study was engineering with an integrated foundation year so it was a 4 year course and I only completed the foundation year, before I took a job opportunity Id been offered. That's why I cant see a cross over, or I dont think I'd have funding to go back on the course and finish it.

you could transfer the credits and do it part time as part time funding is different or just look at any part time stem degree as that allows second degree funding
you could transfer the credits and do it part time as part time funding is different or just look at any part time stem degree as that allows second degree funding

I just remembered I applied for the hardship fund at my uni before I dropped out and stated I was struggling in my application and it was going to affect my studies. Do you think this could class as any kind of evidence of mitigation to SFE ?
I just remembered I applied for the hardship fund at my uni before I dropped out and stated I was struggling in my application and it was going to affect my studies. Do you think this could class as any kind of evidence of mitigation to SFE ?

you could try, but they may need something from a medical professional, call them and ask
you probably wouldnt be able to transfer credits from a engineering degree to a real estate one as there wouldnt be any cross over between the two subject areas and STEM wouldnt cover valuer surveying as its not a STEM area.
You could do it Part Time - if you had enough money now for the starting modules. Or look at an apprenticeship.
If you are going onto a Post Grad degree without experience in the area you have to look at whether they will require you to have any assessment prior to letting you on the course as this can sometimes be the case.
You could do a sandwich course- that way use the remaining funding for year 1 and 2. then go on the sandwich year where you are employed - then use this money to fund the final year.
Original post by Pebblepad
you probably wouldnt be able to transfer credits from a engineering degree to a real estate one as there wouldnt be any cross over between the two subject areas and STEM wouldnt cover valuer surveying as its not a STEM area.
You could do it Part Time - if you had enough money now for the starting modules. Or look at an apprenticeship.
If you are going onto a Post Grad degree without experience in the area you have to look at whether they will require you to have any assessment prior to letting you on the course as this can sometimes be the case.
You could do a sandwich course- that way use the remaining funding for year 1 and 2. then go on the sandwich year where you are employed - then use this money to fund the final year.

The sandwich course idea sounds good but the only problem is they fund youre courses from back to front so regardless I'll have to fund the first year myself!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending