The Student Room Group

National 5/Higher Art- Any Tips or Sources

I am crashing Higher Art, meaning I did not study national 5, and I need to learn about the written side of things since I know absolutely nothing about it. I am confident in my ability to create my Folio but I am really struggling to find any resources to help with the questions :'/ I would really appreciate if anyone would like to share some useful pointers or sources that they found helpful!
have you had a look at past papers
Original post by Hoshiko
I am crashing Higher Art, meaning I did not study national 5, and I need to learn about the written side of things since I know absolutely nothing about it. I am confident in my ability to create my Folio but I am really struggling to find any resources to help with the questions :'/ I would really appreciate if anyone would like to share some useful pointers or sources that they found helpful!

Original post by heatherks
have you had a look at past papers

Yeah but it's more how to phrase the answers then about the kind of things I should know about. Bitesize is pretty good for learning about elements of art and techniques. I guess I am looking more for a sort of answer frame. How should I set it out kind of thing? I will keep looking at past papers though!
my daughters teachers told her to start with a mind-map . eg this years exam paper had a question about a watch from the 18th centuary - you had to talk about and explain .. materials, athetics and the target market. you would start off by choosing the easiest which for my daughter was the materials eg brass and gold and then explain the weight of it and how easy it would be to wear, how durable etc target market who would have worn it. eg the rich, wealthy or in other cases it could be young or people who like to keep up with the trends at that time. A lot of the time one of the answers will be it was a collectors item or gender steriotypes. Athetics it just how it looks eg is it an inticate design or not. What colours were used. There are more examples than these three which you can use N5 past papers to practice on, just take away the comment part at the bottom/end as that is not in higher and make the 8 marks into 10

For the new highers you cant get anymore than 10 marks for each of the questions and no more than four marks for each of these eg 4 for target market, 3 for materials, 3 for athetics. that is for unpredictables which you have t pick two from Design and two from Expressive...

IIn class you should be studying you should be studying an artist and their work and a designers work and their social and cultural influences. which your teacher will most likely have already selected they will help you with that part. When you are doing a paper pretend your teacher is behind you saying "and then what ?" after each point you make until you cant think of any more.

if you need anymore help just ask and she will try to help you. my daugher got an A in N5 and Higher 53/60 for her written work and is currently studying Advanced Higher.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending