The Student Room Group

Mental Health Issue's and Uni

Hey, I couldn't see my question elsewhere but if i'm missed a similar one then please accept my apologies. Also this may be difficult reading so beware but I need advice from regular students! :smile:

I've been accepted to uni this September, I studied for a HND which I finished 3years ago and have been in work ever since - now I'm returning to education for a degree in civil engineering. Before I ask my question, let me say that I know exactly what I am doing in terms of uni, I understand the pressures, I understand that I need this for structure and future progression and also I appreciate that it is my studies that will be affected should anything go wrong. That said.....

This year I've seen a huge decline in my MH, I've spent 3.5 months in hospital this year (a month under section, the rest "voluntary" - those who know voluntary doesn't mean that). My history spans back 20years so i'm a mature student (34).

My question is, does anyone have experience of what happens if you are admitted to hospital whilst studying - do you get additional time to complete missed work? I'm assuming the uni offer support where they can? What's people's experience of this sort of thing?

I'm hoping not to go down that route but i'd be daft to ignore the concern in my head!
Hi!

For me at my university, if you go in voluntary you can suspend your studies (if for a long time admitted) and return when you need. If sectioned, you need to be cleared by your psychiatrist to be ok to return to uni

Yes, you should have arrangements for mental health admitted or not, such as extra time on exams and extensions on coursework if needs be.

You can also apply for DSA which can cover a mental health mentor who can help with all the above
Original post by Noodlzzz
Hi!

For me at my university, if you go in voluntary you can suspend your studies (if for a long time admitted) and return when you need. If sectioned, you need to be cleared by your psychiatrist to be ok to return to uni

Yes, you should have arrangements for mental health admitted or not, such as extra time on exams and extensions on coursework if needs be.

You can also apply for DSA which can cover a mental health mentor who can help with all the above

Hi thanks for that! 😊

I’d guessed there must be something in place but it’s on a case by case basis I guess too . Obviously it’s it something you pa to do but rather something you need t be aware of?

I’ve applied for DSA; I’ve got an assessment at the end of the month - dreading it because I don’t know what they’ll ask but have arranged for my Care Coordinator to come with me which will help.

Have you any experience in the assessment?
Original post by b00mzx
Hi thanks for that! 😊

I’d guessed there must be something in place but it’s on a case by case basis I guess too . Obviously it’s it something you pa to do but rather something you need t be aware of?

I’ve applied for DSA; I’ve got an assessment at the end of the month - dreading it because I don’t know what they’ll ask but have arranged for my Care Coordinator to come with me which will help.

Have you any experience in the assessment?

Hi! I’m on my third degree so yes well versed in DSA assessments! They take about an hour and you are asked a variety of things to assess how your mental health affects your studying and how they can help. Really nothing to be worried about, they won’t grill you on things or make you feel like you need to justify your mental health :smile:
Hi! I’m on my third degree so yes well versed in DSA assessments! They take about an hour and you are asked a variety of things to assess how your mental health affects your studying and how they can help. Really nothing to be worried about, they won’t grill you on things or make you feel like you need to justify your mental health :smile:

Ah that’s good then. I was thinking it would be a grilling that I’d be getting. Thanks for your help, you’ve put my mind at ease 😊
Original post by b00mzx
Hey, I couldn't see my question elsewhere but if i'm missed a similar one then please accept my apologies. Also this may be difficult reading so beware but I need advice from regular students! :smile:

I've been accepted to uni this September, I studied for a HND which I finished 3years ago and have been in work ever since - now I'm returning to education for a degree in civil engineering. Before I ask my question, let me say that I know exactly what I am doing in terms of uni, I understand the pressures, I understand that I need this for structure and future progression and also I appreciate that it is my studies that will be affected should anything go wrong. That said.....

This year I've seen a huge decline in my MH, I've spent 3.5 months in hospital this year (a month under section, the rest "voluntary" - those who know voluntary doesn't mean that). My history spans back 20years so i'm a mature student (34).

My question is, does anyone have experience of what happens if you are admitted to hospital whilst studying - do you get additional time to complete missed work? I'm assuming the uni offer support where they can? What's people's experience of this sort of thing?

I'm hoping not to go down that route but i'd be daft to ignore the concern in my head!

Hi @b00mzx

First of all, well done! Realising you want to return to education can be a tough decision - it's great you know exactly what you want to do.

I agree with what @Noodlzzz had written above. The only other thing I would suggest is to let the University know about any support you might need as soon as possible - for instance when you first apply (if you haven't already). This will mean that they can look into your needs and tailor support for you and have it all in place before you start your degree.

It might be, that in the current moment you don't need any support. But, I would still let them know about your past with Mental Health just so they have it on file. This will make it easier for you to get allowances like extra time on course work if feel you need them.

Universities have a lot of services available for free for students in relation to Mental Health and over all well-being. For example here we have trained psychiatrists that you can book appointments with, and workshops to give students who book on the tools they need to help combat stress, feelings of being overwhelmed or any other issues that can come occur with being a student. Make sure you ask someone at your chosen university about the support you can access. Its there for free, so make sure you use it if you need it!

Hope this helps

I wish you all the luck in your Civil Engineering studies.

Alex - UoP Rep :smile:
Original post by University of Portsmouth
Hi @b00mzx

First of all, well done! Realising you want to return to education can be a tough decision - it's great you know exactly what you want to do.

I agree with what @Noodlzzz had written above. The only other thing I would suggest is to let the University know about any support you might need as soon as possible - for instance when you first apply (if you haven't already). This will mean that they can look into your needs and tailor support for you and have it all in place before you start your degree.

It might be, that in the current moment you don't need any support. But, I would still let them know about your past with Mental Health just so they have it on file. This will make it easier for you to get allowances like extra time on course work if feel you need them.

Universities have a lot of services available for free for students in relation to Mental Health and over all well-being. For example here we have trained psychiatrists that you can book appointments with, and workshops to give students who book on the tools they need to help combat stress, feelings of being overwhelmed or any other issues that can come occur with being a student. Make sure you ask someone at your chosen university about the support you can access. Its there for free, so make sure you use it if you need it!

Hope this helps

I wish you all the luck in your Civil Engineering studies.

Alex!

That’s great, I didn’t realise the universities offered so much that it’s really putting my mind at ease.

Yes I’ll get in touch with them after my DSA review and see what is available. The workshops sound really interesting and if they have them at Bolton then booking with Psychiatrist could be beneficial too.

Also good point on getting it on file just in case!

Thanks 😊

Hey Noodlzzz, how's it going?

Just wanted to update on this - thanks again for your helpful advice. I had my DSA assessment this afternoon and it was really productive (aside from the room, the guy interviewing and the journey there and back lol which were all stressful af and overwhelming!).

They have recommended some audio recording software for my laptop and 2x1hr Mentor sessions per week so it feels like some of the pressure is off knowing someone will be able to help.

I wanted your opinion on whether you think it would be out of order of me if I asked DSA if it's possible for preference for a female mentor? I really struggle with men and find them really intimidating :frown:
Original post by b00mzx

Just wanted to update on this - thanks again for your helpful advice. I had my DSA assessment this afternoon and it was really productive (aside from the room, the guy interviewing and the journey there and back lol which were all stressful af and overwhelming!).

They have recommended some audio recording software for my laptop and 2x1hr Mentor sessions per week so it feels like some of the pressure is off knowing someone will be able to help.

I wanted your opinion on whether you think it would be out of order of me if I asked DSA if it's possible for preference for a female mentor? I really struggle with men and find them really intimidating :frown:

I think that’s a legit claim and would ask!
Original post by b00mzx

Hi@b00mzx

I am so glad you got in contact with them and they have recommended you some things to help!

Yeah I agree with @Noodlzzz - Definitely worth an ask :smile: It's not a silly question or out of order at all! It's whatever works for you and makes you feel most comfortable.

@Noodlzzz & @University of Portsmouth Thank you for that. I'll ask and hopefully they can be accommodating. :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest