The Student Room Group

Can I Get Into Law?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 123543
Don't really want to argue, but I got AAAAB and was warned by Edinburgh when I contacted them that they haven't been able to give out offers to students that haven't achieved AAAAA recent years. Acceptance rates for English students to Edinburgh for Law are way higher than Scottish - I'm talking 20% vs 70%. I'm aware of dual options, I'm not saying these don't exist - I'm saying that don't immediately disregard England as a viable option. It's not going to be free to train to be a practicing lawyer anyway.

Of course, you can get a fantastic degree up here and I am by no means advocating against it, all I'm suggesting is that remember there are Universities down south too.

No, I definitely don't want to argue either :smile: I am by no means a Law expert, my field is Vet Med and I always encourage my mentees to apply to two English universities since they only have two Scottish options :biggrin:
Reply 21
Would it be possible to receive the documents too? Thank you for doing this :smile:
Original post by 123543
Don't really want to argue, but I got AAAAB and was warned by Edinburgh when I contacted them that they haven't been able to give out offers to students that haven't achieved AAAAA recent years. Acceptance rates for English students to Edinburgh for Law are way higher than Scottish - I'm talking 20% vs 70%.

I'd be curious as to what the actual figure is. I had a lot of friends at university who did Law and they were 90% from Scotland. Of course, I didn't befriend the entire Law cohort at Edinburgh, but still - I'm not really sure your figure is accurate...

To be honest, I'm pretty sure you'd receive an offer from Edinburgh with your grades. Make sure you have a killer personal statement and very good references!
Haha :biggrin: Think you could hook us up?

Yeah, I imagine many students from down south don't firm Edinburgh. I wonder why so many apply, to be honest. Back-up from Doxbridge and London? :lol: Or, novelty?
Original post by fucthesqa
Since Glasgow has the LNAT that also led me to believe it edges Edinburgh?

Not at all. The LNAT is simply a metric by which various institutions assess applicants. Certain universities choose to utilise this and certain universities don't. Edinburgh simply uses other means to judge their applicants.

Just so you know, both historically and domestically, Edinburgh's reputation for Law in Scotland is unparalleled. Glasgow is fantastic as well but I definitely wouldn't say it edges over Edinburgh. It comes to a close second.

I can't comment on the content of the courses, I'm afraid. Just reputation (which may not be the most ideal way to select your university).
Original post by Quick-use
Not at all. The LNAT is simply a metric by which various institutions assess applicants. Certain universities choose to utilise this and certain universities don't. Edinburgh simply uses other means to judge their applicants.

Just so you know, both historically and domestically, Edinburgh's reputation for Law in Scotland is unparalleled. Glasgow is fantastic as well but I definitely wouldn't say it edges over Edinburgh. It comes to a close second.

I can't comment on the content of the courses, I'm afraid. Just reputation (which may not be the most ideal way to select your university).

Hello all,
I noticed your discussions about Law. For anyone who is interested in studying English Law at other Scottish Universities, I have just had a look at the Aberdeen Clearing Pages for Law, and we have Law with English Law, and Law with English Law - Accelerated. We also have Law with English Law and European Legal Studies, and Law with second languages, psychology, business amongst others - all very useful disciplines for employment!. Take a look at the School of Law as they have some very insightful blogs, and you maybe be able to widen your choices. Good luck to all of you, wherever you study!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by JohanGRK
Thought it to be easier to just link you to the Drive folders that have all the data

The 'old requests' folder contains information for law students who enrolled in 2018.

The 'new requests' folder contains information for law students who enrolled in 2017 and 2018. Only a couple of responses are out - check back over the course of the next month.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Soj-NRTG18fTEw85t_KdLRVdo4eTNZkX?usp=sharing

Thank you! This is really helpful)
Reply 27
I'd be curious as to what the actual figure is. I had a lot of friends at university who did Law and they were 90% from Scotland. Of course, I didn't befriend the entire Law cohort at Edinburgh, but still - I'm not really sure your figure is accurate...

To be honest, I'm pretty sure you'd receive an offer from Edinburgh with your grades. Make sure you have a killer personal statement and very good references!

You're correct, the statistic isn't quite as drastic as I thought it was - I must have read the 70 offers and interpreted it as 70% for rUK - sorry haha. It is still quite considerably higher, though. https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/scotland_and_eu_admissions_statistics.pdf

https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/rest_of_uk_admissions_statistics.pdf

Scottish offer rate in 2016: 17%

rUK offer rate in 2016: 32%
Original post by 123543
You're correct, the statistic isn't quite as drastic as I thought it was - I must have read the 70 offers and interpreted it as 70% for rUK - sorry haha. It is still quite considerably higher, though. https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/scotland_and_eu_admissions_statistics.pdf

https://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files/rest_of_uk_admissions_statistics.pdf

Scottish offer rate in 2016: 17%

rUK offer rate in 2016: 32%

Um, did you check the number of applications and the acceptance rate?

Scotland and EU applications: 1,686.
Scotland and EU offers given: 288 (17%)
Scotland and EU accepting offers: 141

Rest of the UK applications: 231
Rest of the UK offers given: 74 (32%)
Rest of the UK accepting offers: 13

In other words, barely anyone from England (and rest of the UK) applies to Edinburgh for Law. We can also assume that the ones that do apply most likely have Edinburgh as a back up from Oxbridge meaning that they are likely to have stellar grades (hence the offer rate).

While the offer percentage given out to rest of the UK applicants is higher, it's all contextual considering the sheer volume of Scottish (and EU) applicants for Law at Edinburgh.

I knew there was something amiss here. I know a lot of Law graduates from Edinburgh (and I went to a few parties during my undergrad hosted by Law students and their peers) and I can only remember meeting a handful (at most) of students who were from England.

Ergo, English students doing Law at Edinburgh are a rare breed. I would definitely encourage students (who meet the entry requirements or have special consideration as a result of their economic background or schooling) to apply to Edinburgh to study Law. Of course, that's only assuming that they want to use one of their choices on Edinburgh.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 29
Um, did you check the number of applications and the acceptance rate?

Scotland and EU applications: 1,686.
Scotland and EU offers given: 288 (17%)
Scotland and EU accepting offers: 141

Rest of the UK applications: 231
Rest of the UK offers given: 74 (32%)
Rest of the UK accepting offers: 13

In other words, barely anyone from England (and rest of the UK) applies to Edinburgh for Law. We can also assume that the ones that do probably have it as a back up from Oxbridge and thus are likely to have stellar grades (hence the acceptance rate).

While the offer percentage given out to rest of the UK applicants is higher, it's all contextual considering the sheer volume of Scottish (and EU) applicants for Law at Edinburgh.

I knew there was something amiss here. I know a lot of Law graduates from Edinburgh (and I went to a few parties during my undergrad hosted by Law students and their peers) and I can only remember meeting a handful (at most) of students who were from England.

Ergo, English students doing Law at Edinburgh are a rare breed. I would definitely encourage students (who meet the entry requirements or have special consideration as a result of their economic backgrounds or schooling) to apply to Edinburgh to study Law. Of course, that's only assuming that they want to use one of their choices on Edinburgh.

Fair enough, I'm just going on what Edinburgh told me as a student that got AAAAB.
Original post by 123543
Fair enough, I'm just going on what Edinburgh told me as a student that got AAAAB.

If you're wanting to go to Edinburgh, I'd definitely consider applying there. You never know - you might be part of that 17%.
Reply 31
If you're wanting to go to Edinburgh, I'd definitely consider applying there. You never know - you might be part of that 17%.

It's something I'm considering. I'm just waiting to go back to school and look at everything (mark breakdowns, bands etc) just now. Thanks for the encouragement, though :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by 123543
It's something I'm considering. I'm just waiting to go back to school and look at everything (mark breakdowns, bands etc) just now. Thanks for the encouragement, though :smile:

1 mark off 5 As, praying that the marking review works.
Let me know how close you were in maths
It's a great Law school but I'm afraid it's definitely not top 3 as far as reputation goes. Maybe that's the case on certain league tables, but I might not believe them too easily...

In Scotland, Edinburgh is definitely number 1 and many law firms only end up taking graduates from UoE. Glasgow comes in second here and maybe top 10 or 20 within the context of the rest of the UK.

Um no. Glasgow is far more prestigious than Glasgow and ranks above Edinburgh for Law in most university rankings. Mainly due to the LNAT.
Original post by Catriona23
Um no. Glasgow is far more prestigious than Glasgow and ranks above Edinburgh for Law in most university rankings. Mainly due to the LNAT.

Again, I can't help but overstate this to high school students - don't fully rely on online rankings to determine what's prestigious and what's not. Rankings are arbitrary.

Many top Law firms in Scotland (and England) are known to exclusively take Edinburgh Law graduates but not Glasgow graduates simply because of lack of brand awareness. Again, I can't comment on course quality - it could be that the content of the Glasgow Law course is better - but as far as reputation/brand and history goes, Edinburgh wins out on prestige.
(edited 4 years ago)
I got AAABB at higher in 5th year and university of Glasgow gave me a conditional offer for 6th year to get BB at advanced higher (which I took in English and modern studies) and another A at higher - so my conditions were relatively hard but I still a conditional with worse grades than you. So alongside a well thought out personal statement and a good score on the LNAT (which Glasgow uni requires you to take) I’m sure you’ll get a conditional at least - just make sure you still work hard in 6th year so you meet the conditions
Original post by S.carter
It’s not 3rd, I don’t know what rankings you are looking at. No way it would’ve been above Cambridge or oxford last year, who are pretty consistently the top two in the UK.

I am aware that there are several ranking systems but I am only providing this knowledge from the rankings obviously plastered over the university website- I hardly imagine it would be on their website if it was false information, however, it obviously does not take account of reputation and what people actually think
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending