The Student Room Group

How did you know medicine was for you?

Just curious :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Your doing medicine? What year are u on
I think I view treating people a fulfilling line of work.

I also think science is one of my strong points, as opposed to essay subjects.

Those are the main two reasons.
Reply 3
Same boat. 2 years postgrad and currently taking a year out. Dunno if it’s really for me but I guess I’m kinda committed
Just weighed up my options and made the best decision I could. Only decided a couple months before the deadline.

Wanting a practical, not-office based job with good job security were probably the biggest factors if we're honest. Although now the idea of an office sounds great!
Reply 5
My current role as a clinical pharmacist has given me many perks a medical career would offer; job security, progression, lifelong learning, leadership, teaching etc. However, I reached a point where I realised there would always be a limit on my competence to help my patients and also a limit on the weight of my decision-making abilities. I still don't know if medicine is the best option for me, but it's more fitting with what I want out of a career and it's one step closer for me to being able to help my patients the way I want to help them :h:.
wdym year 10+ what year are u on in medicine ?
Reply 7
Original post by dontevenknow2
wdym year 10+ what year are u on in medicine ?

Greater than Yr 10! ecolier is a qualified Dr and almost a Consultant
Reply 8
Original post by thisisatrek
Just curious :smile:

The fact you’re asking how to know if Medicine is for you and also about people who dropped out of medical school, suggests to me that you’re trying to make a decision about something. Give us some more context about your situation and maybe we can advise you better.
Original post by asif007
The fact you’re asking how to know if Medicine is for you and also about people who dropped out of medical school, suggests to me that you’re trying to make a decision about something. Give us some more context about your situation and maybe we can advise you better.

Hi,
I have an offer to study medicine in September but I’m not 100% sure it is for me. So I’m debating whether I should pursue it or not
(edited 4 years ago)

Hi,
I have an offer to study medicine in September but I’m not 100% sure it is for me. So I’m debating whether I should pursue it or not

Why are you not sure it’s for you? You obviously demonstrated a lot of interest in the career to get a place. What’s making you doubt your decision?
Original post by asif007
Why are you not sure it’s for you? You obviously demonstrated a lot of interest in the career to get a place. What’s making you doubt your decision?

I’m scared more than anything else to make such a big commitment. I love the science behind it all. I volunteer at a Hospice currently I always think about how I would love to go and try find a cure for the diseases the patients suffer from but I don’t necessarily find it comfortable to even interact with the patients, I’m pretty socially awkward so I don’t know if clinical medicine is for me, as I’m constantly obsessing over what people think of me rather than thinking about them. The alternative would be to do a biochemistry degree and then go into medical research which seems more suited to my personality. I know both fields are challenging so I’m just scared to make the wrong decision.
I’m scared more than anything else to make such a big commitment. I love the science behind it all. I volunteer at a Hospice currently I always think about how I would love to go and try find a cure for the diseases the patients suffer from but I don’t necessarily find it comfortable to even interact with the patients, I’m pretty socially awkward so I don’t know if clinical medicine is for me, as I’m constantly obsessing over what people think of me rather than thinking about them. The alternative would be to do a biochemistry degree and then go into medical research which seems more suited to my personality. I know both fields are challenging so I’m just scared to make the wrong decision.

Interacting with patients as a doctor is very different to being a volunteer at a hospice. Some communication skills will be formally taught and you will also pick up a great deal by observing your seniors over the course of many years.

I think if you've got into medicine then you should give it a go. It's far easier to switch from medicine to biochem than the other way round.

One of the best things about medicine is how many different specialties there are to suit all personality types :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Plus quite a bit more.
I am though. I just tell people I am 21 plus VAT.
Original post by Oxford Mum
Plus quite a bit more.

Reading ecolier's "about me".

He is a boy!
Original post by CuriosityYay
Reading ecolier's "about me".

He is a boy!

Yes, I thought he was a girl for years, because of his cute doggie avatar
Are you a consultant?
hmm good question. I think for me it was the fact that its unpredictable. You always have something new to do, additionally it takes ages....which (weird me) considers good because i like the idea of always having something new to reach for.
Original post by Oxford Mum
I am though. I just tell people I am 21 plus VAT.

Here in the UAE, 21 plus 20% VAT makes you just over 23. Lol. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending