The Student Room Group

Can anyone share their experience doing foundation?

Hi. I'm going for my foundation this September cause my A-levels didn't make the cut. Does anyone have the same experience as me? Can anyone share their experience doing foundation? Like, was it worthwhile, the advantages, did it prepare you better for first year uni...? Things like that. I'm just really paranoid and worried and scared cause I'll be spending one year on foundation then 3 years on undergraduate. Basically I'll be one year late in actually getting a degree, I'll be 23 instead of 22 by that time. Please, if anyone has the same experience as me, share it with me. :frown: 😖😢😰😱😭
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Samantha Cecilia
Hi. I'm going for my foundation this September cause my A-levels didn't make the cut. Can anyone share their experience doing foundation? Like, was it worthwhile, the advantages, did it prepare you better for first year uni...? Things like that

What course is this for? :smile:
Original post by She-Ra
What course is this for? :smile:

Foundation for Arts and Education
Original post by Samantha Cecilia
Hi. I'm going for my foundation this September cause my A-levels didn't make the cut. Can anyone share their experience doing foundation? Like, was it worthwhile, the advantages, did it prepare you better for first year uni...? Things like that

Hi @Samantha Cecilia,

That's great that you have got a place on a foundation degree, congratulations!

I personally haven't done a foundation degree, but I have a friend who has just completed the foundation year. He was initially reluctant to begin University but has found that the foundation year has really motivated him and he's doing incredibly well in his subject field. He believes that the foundation year has really helped to prepare him for the first year of the degree and has helped to cement his prior knowledge of the subject. Doing the foundation course has actually really helped him as he was set on doing one particular degree, and as he was learning a broader range of topics, he realised he wanted to change paths which has resulted in him choosing a slightly different undergraduate degree, which starts in September. You may find that this works in a similar way for you, as the foundation degree may introduce you to other subject areas which you may not have been aware of previously.

Good luck with starting your new course! If you have any questions in the meantime, please let me know :smile:

Eloise
Hi Samantha, I was on the same boat last year and took foundation year at the Uni of Sheffield and will be starting my first year this September. I haven't started my first year yet but the foundation year was definitely worthwhile. Personally, I feel like I have an advantage over the other first years as the foundation year is essentially similar to first year in terms of seminars, lectures, courseworks, etc so you practically have an extra year to familiarise yourself with all these before starting your first year. When I was in sixth form, I never learned how to reference journals properly and foundation year literally demands you to reference for all your courseworks (same as first year) and I'm glad that I don't have to worry about that anymore. In all honesty, you shouldn't be worried or embarrassed about graduating one year later than everyone! There were plenty of 22-23 year olds in my foundation year so imagine how old they will be when they graduate.
Original post by naflainas
Hi Samantha, I was on the same boat last year and took foundation year at the Uni of Sheffield and will be starting my first year this September. I haven't started my first year yet but the foundation year was definitely worthwhile. Personally, I feel like I have an advantage over the other first years as the foundation year is essentially similar to first year in terms of seminars, lectures, courseworks, etc so you practically have an extra year to familiarise yourself with all these before starting your first year. When I was in sixth form, I never learned how to reference journals properly and foundation year literally demands you to reference for all your courseworks (same as first year) and I'm glad that I don't have to worry about that anymore. In all honesty, you shouldn't be worried or embarrassed about graduating one year later than everyone! There were plenty of 22-23 year olds in my foundation year so imagine how old they will be when they graduate.

I feel slightly reassured that there are people out there who went through the same thing as I'm experiencing now. Glad to hear something positive about foundation because someone once told me that it was a complete waste.

The age was bothering me slightly because I feel as if my friends will all have gotten jobs while I'll be be in second or third year of study. I guess I'm just anxious as I'm an only child and my parents are both retired; I feel like I need to graduate and get a job as soon as possible to support my family. 😖

Congrats on finishing your foundation. Wish you luck on your first year of uni:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending