The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Foundation Year

Hi,

I'm really confused at the moment - I'm looking at the course Computer Science at university at leeds but I don't have the required grades.

I'm looking at their Foundation Year and it says the duration is 4 years - Am I missing something? Usually foundation year is one year

Sorry if I've misunderstood something on their website that is obvious

Here is what I'm looking at:
https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/3430/interdisciplinary-science-with-foundation-year-bsc#section2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You apply for a course starting on a foundation year but the one your looking at lasts 4 years
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by Spud14
You apply for a course starting on a foundation year but the one your looking at lasts 4 years

Original post by Spud14

Hi,

thanks for the response!

So how would I apply for a foundation year? Would I simply just apply for Computer Science course and mention that I would like to do a foundation year?
Reply 3
The first year is known as the foundation year (as in foundations for the rest of the degree)
Original post by Dan192
Hi,

I'm really confused at the moment - I'm looking at the course Computer Science at university at leeds but I don't have the required grades.

I'm looking at their Foundation Year and it says the duration is 4 years - Am I missing something? Usually foundation year is one year

Sorry if I've misunderstood something on their website that is obvious

Here is what I'm looking at:
https://courses.leeds.ac.uk/3430/interdisciplinary-science-with-foundation-year-bsc#section2

It's one year for the foundation year, then three years for your chosen degree.
Reply 5
Original post by Evilpengwinz
It's one year for the foundation year, then three years for your chosen degree.

Are you certain about this?
Original post by Dan192
Are you certain about this?

Yes - I did this course last year.
Reply 7
Yes - I did this course last year.

Thank you very much! greatly appreciate it!

What course we're you doing after your foundation year and would you say it's difficult to get into the foundation year?
Hi, Yes the above is correct.
Foundation year = 1 Year (duration)
and the rest of the course will = 3 Years
So total duration = 4 Years.

In regards to how to apply, are you applying via UCAS Or direct to the university? I am starting a foundation year course, and the course I applied for was separate than the normal course. So on UCAS there was a different option for 'Accounting and Finance With Foundation Year'.
And from people who I've already spoken to regarding foundation year, they say it's fairly easy it's more of a repeat of A - Levels xx
Reply 10
Original post by Samsam31
And from people who I've already spoken to regarding foundation year, they say it's fairly easy it's more of a repeat of A - Levels xx

thanks for the message.

Would you say it's fairly easy to get into foundation year? Or have you yet to be accepted?
Original post by Dan192
Thank you very much! greatly appreciate it!

What course we're you doing after your foundation year and would you say it's difficult to get into the foundation year?

I'm doing Maths next year.

I wouldn't say it's difficult to get onto the course - A lot of the (younger) people signing up will be people that didn't get the grades they hoped for and they're now applying through clearing. The grade requirements are pretty low (CDD @ A level) and I'd imagine if they were getting tons of applicants then the cutoff would be higher.

Last year I phoned them up to ask for a place, they arranged a 20 minute Skype interview with me where they ask the kind of stuff you'd expect really - why do you want to come to Leeds, why this course, why didn't you do as well as you would have liked at A level and what are you going to do to improve if we give you a place etc. Then they said "Apply through UCAS and we'll accept you".
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Dan192
thanks for the message.

Would you say it's fairly easy to get into foundation year? Or have you yet to be accepted?

Yeah, I get accepted straight away, I applied via UCAS.
Check the requirements, do you meet them ?
Reply 13
I'm doing Maths next year.

I wouldn't say it's difficult to get onto the course - A lot of the (younger) people signing up will be people that didn't get the grades they hoped for and they're now applying through clearing. The grade requirements are pretty low (CDD @ A level) and I'd imagine if they were getting tons of applicants then the cutoff would be higher.

Last year they arranged a 20 minute Skype interview with me where they ask the kind of stuff you'd expect really - why do you want to come to Leeds, why this course, why didn't you do as well as you would have liked at A level and what are you going to do to improve if we give you a place etc.

thank you for the response!

I'm just looking at the requirements and it says this:
"As well as the academic requirements above, you must live permanently in the UK and meet at least one of the following:

Your permanent address is in a neighbourhood with low progression to higher education.

You attended a school which achieved less than the national average of five grade A*-C or 9-4 passes at GCSE or attainment 8 score at GCSE

You grew up in public care."

Is this something that is definitely needed?

I do not meet any of those requirements so would I be rejected?
Original post by Dan192

I'm just looking at the requirements and it says this:
"As well as the academic requirements above, you must live permanently in the UK and meet at least one of the following:

Your permanent address is in a neighbourhood with low progression to higher education.

You attended a school which achieved less than the national average of five grade A*-C or 9-4 passes at GCSE or attainment 8 score at GCSE

You grew up in public care."

Is this something that is definitely needed?

I do not meet any of those requirements so would I be rejected?

My hometown was an absolute sh*thole so that was never an issue for me. I'd say just phone up and ask, the worst they can say is "No".
Reply 15
My hometown was an absolute sh*thole so that was never an issue for me. I'd say just phone up and ask, the worst they can say is "No".

Ah okay, thank you very much. Will do!

Original post by Samsam31
Yeah, I get accepted straight away, I applied via UCAS.
Check the requirements, do you meet them ?

Sam, if you don't mind me asking did you meet any of these requirements?:

You grew up in public care"
Original post by Dan192
Ah okay, thank you very much. Will do!

This is for the "Interdisciplinary science with a foundation year" which has grade requirements CDD. We called this ISFY.

If you don't make the requirements then you apply for the "Science foundation year" which is the exact same thing but with requirements ABB, known as SYS.
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
This is for the "Interdisciplinary science with a foundation year" which has grade requirements CDD. We called this ISFY.

If you don't make the requirements then you apply for the "Science foundation year" which is the exact same thing but with requirements ABB, known as SYS.

Hi,

I took a look at the science foundation year but it doesn't state computer science as a course you can choose after the foundation year:
"On successful completion of the foundation year, and subject to meeting the academic requirements for progression, you will progress onto year one of your chosen degree courses in biology, chemistry, engineering, mathematics, environmental science, food science and nutrition, physics or psychology. For more information about specific career opportunities please check the degree course you wish to progress to."

So it looks like "Interdisciplinarity science with a foundation year" would be the only option for me
Original post by Dan192
Hi,

I took a look at the science foundation year but it doesn't state computer science as a course you can choose after the foundation year:
"On successful completion of the foundation year, and subject to meeting the academic requirements for progression, you will progress onto year one of your chosen degree courses in biology, chemistry, engineering, mathematics, environmental science, food science and nutrition, physics or psychology. For more information about specific career opportunities please check the degree course you wish to progress to."

So it looks like "Interdisciplinarity science with a foundation year" would be the only option for me

What are you talking about?
You're looking at the wrong thing. They're both the same course with different entry requirements, it is called "Studies in science foundation year" if you want to be specific.

Or you can have a look at the entry requirements for the course you specifically want to study.

I don't think /I do meet any of the following, but I've applied to a different University from you. so that may be why I was accepted?

Quick Reply

Latest