The Student Room Group

foundation year or retake?

I’m an international student re-applying for Mpharm and retaking my Chemistry exam. I got an offer however to do a jan-aug foundation year at university of sunderland. Should i take the offer or just continue studying for my Chemistry retake? Also if i end up doing this foundation year instead of my retake, can i still apply to other universities for the course? (USunderland has never really crossed my mind, i don’t have a clear idea on what it’s like there or how reputable it is, so idk if i’d want to stay for the next ~5 years?)
Original post by wondji
I’m an international student re-applying for Mpharm and retaking my Chemistry exam. I got an offer however to do a jan-aug foundation year at university of sunderland. Should i take the offer or just continue studying for my Chemistry retake? Also if i end up doing this foundation year instead of my retake, can i still apply to other universities for the course? (USunderland has never really crossed my mind, i don’t have a clear idea on what it’s like there or how reputable it is, so idk if i’d want to stay for the next ~5 years?)

Is the foundation year from January 2024 to August 2024? If so, that would be better than retaking your Chemistry as you don't know your future grade.

You should read up on the Foundation programme at Sunderland to confirm whether you can apply to other unis.

If you are not particularly keen on that foundation programme, there are other similar programmes at UCL, Manchester etc.
Reply 2
Original post by Wired_1800
Is the foundation year from January 2024 to August 2024? If so, that would be better than retaking your Chemistry as you don't know your future grade.

You should read up on the Foundation programme at Sunderland to confirm whether you can apply to other unis.

If you are not particularly keen on that foundation programme, there are other similar programmes at UCL, Manchester etc.

yes it's from january to august 2024. from what i've read, entry to other unis is unlikely as foundation years are quite specific to the uni offering it. i'm leaning towards just completing my gap year and retake as i'm seeing a lot of cons; the foundation year is quite expensive, is in a university i know very little about and the chances of me getting in to one of my original choices after completing the foundation year is very slim. do you know of any advantages a foundation year gives?
Original post by wondji
yes it's from january to august 2024. from what i've read, entry to other unis is unlikely as foundation years are quite specific to the uni offering it. i'm leaning towards just completing my gap year and retake as i'm seeing a lot of cons; the foundation year is quite expensive, is in a university i know very little about and the chances of me getting in to one of my original choices after completing the foundation year is very slim. do you know of any advantages a foundation year gives?

A foundation year is an effective approach to enter the uni of your choice, if you want to study at that uni. However, you are right that you should not waste time, money and efforts on a uni’s foundation year that you have no idea about nor do you want to progress in

Since your desire is to study at specific unis, i would suggest that continue with improving your Chem grade. I would also suggest that you consider applying to the foundation year programmes at other unis as back up options. That way, if you don't meet the requirements with your updated grade, you will still have a uni to go to in September 2024.
Reply 4
Retaking is likely to be a LOT cheaper. Suggest you look at all the costs associated with a foundation year. Don’t forget the increasing cost of accommodation in whatever town/city the Uni is located.
As above, retaking will be cheaper, it will also leave you with more options.

Foundation years are not desiged to be transferred. You may find some other unis wiling to accept it, but equally others may not.
Reply 6
Original post by Wired_1800
A foundation year is an effective approach to enter the uni of your choice, if you want to study at that uni. However, you are right that you should not waste time, money and efforts on a uni’s foundation year that you have no idea about nor do you want to progress in

Since your desire is to study at specific unis, i would suggest that continue with improving your Chem grade. I would also suggest that you consider applying to the foundation year programmes at other unis as back up options. That way, if you don't meet the requirements with your updated grade, you will still have a uni to go to in September 2024.

thank you so much. i'll look at applying to an mpharm with a foundation year as a backup.
Reply 7
Original post by Sarah H.
Retaking is likely to be a LOT cheaper. Suggest you look at all the costs associated with a foundation year. Don’t forget the increasing cost of accommodation in whatever town/city the Uni is located.

the cost is one of the reasons i am leaning towards a retake, the course itself is £16k which doesn't include accommodation or living costs. if i choose to stay behind and retake i would be living at home and would only have to pay for the exam.
Reply 8
thank you all for your help. i talked it over with my parents and they agree it would be far cheaper and probably more beneficial to stay and do my chemistry retake instead of taking the foundation year offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending