The Student Room Group

language studies

hi! I'm finding it hard learning and understanding the language I'm doing for GCSEs any tips on how to learn a new language?
(edited 4 years ago)
Heyyyyyy so I love learning languages and glad I found ur post!
Wat language u studying?
Reply 2
Original post by Sannah 21
Heyyyyyy so I love learning languages and glad I found ur post!
Wat language u studying?

That's great to know I'm currently learning Arabic and tbh I'm not doing good at it ...at all.
I would really appreciate some help 😅
OMG I’m learning arabic too!!! On Saturdays and I’m in yr 7 and everyone asking me too do GCSE
Urghhh idk 😬😬

Use Memrise it’s soo good
There’s Arabic 1 and just go up from there
That’s wat I’m doing....
Watch Arabic movies, listen to arabic songs, tv series....
Make a vocabulary book so vocab that will help u in any of the exams and high level ones....
And add phrases (high level) which u can get off the internet to a piece of paper u can take everywhere....
Do past papers or at least see them snd try to answer them

R u good in speaking?
I did Spanish but u can revise in the same way for arabic ... use Memrise or Duolingo, have a vocabulary book with u with vocabulary u can use all the time
Or alternatively u can get a sheet of paper and divide it into 8 sections QACNOTTI Q for qualifiers like too much, A for adjectives, C for connectives, N for negatives like I hate, O for opinions like I love, T for tenseslike (I will do...), the other T for Time phrases like tomorrow and the I for idioms coz those will get u a higher mark....
After u learn each topic make a mind map and use wat I told u above
One a sheet of paper u can write down like phrases that’ll get u a really high mark which U can get off the internet
Learn tenses and how to conjugate coz that’ll really help
Read the revision guide watnot

(I copied and pasted this from another chat where I helped someone put so
Just look at the new points)
Reply 5
OMG I’m learning arabic too!!! On Saturdays and I’m in yr 7 and everyone asking me too do GCSE
Urghhh idk 😬😬

Use Memrise it’s soo good
There’s Arabic 1 and just go up from there
That’s wat I’m doing....
Watch Arabic movies, listen to arabic songs, tv series....
Make a vocabulary book so vocab that will help u in any of the exams and high level ones....
And add phrases (high level) which u can get off the internet to a piece of paper u can take everywhere....
Do past papers or at least see them snd try to answer them

R u good in speaking?

Gurl Ur in YEAR 7? And u find languages easy dammn your gonna find secondary as a breeze 😂 thx so much for the tips and no I'm not good at speaking or anything to do with Arabic it's a tough language to learn but I'm sure if I stick to your advice I'll be able to learn a lot more before I do my GCSEs (I'm going to year 9 btw) and if you think your confident enough to take the language GCSEs then by all means go for it girl ! But I would recommend doing pass papers and get a friend or teacher to examine your oral exam just to know what your getting yourself into.
Thank you so much 4 the response do u recommend any movies or TV series for me to watch? ❤️
Thanks for ur reply!! Yh Arabic is hard...but just keep on working!
Thanks for ur recommendation I’ll definetely try that and my end of yr exam I do speaking and they get marked....
But Yh Spanish and Arabic both my speaking is so bad I mean I always forget wat to say

Lol I don’t watch tv shows in Arabic or listen to any songs 😂 but i should
Just search in Netflix or on the internet

BTW I finished yr 11 and going into yr 12
Reply 7
Thanks for ur reply!! Yh Arabic is hard...but just keep on working!
Thanks for ur recommendation I’ll definetely try that and my end of yr exam I do speaking and they get marked....
But Yh Spanish and Arabic both my speaking is so bad I mean I always forget wat to say

Lol I don’t watch tv shows in Arabic or listen to any songs 😂 but i should
Just search in Netflix or on the internet

BTW I finished yr 11 and going into yr 12

Oh sorry my bad 😂 but yeah I'll try look up some Arabic shows and what not.Once again thank you so much for your help oh and btw I hope you get the results u wanted for your GCSEs good luck girl try not stress 😂
Omggg thanks babe!!!!!! Byeeeee
Best of luck for ur future exams !!
Try search for a frequency word list in your target language (a list of the most common and used words) - even better if you can find one uses the word in an example sentence.
Once you know some of the top words (maybe 500+) you'll be in a very good position.
Also make sure you listen to the pronunciation of the words.

It's also important that you start listening to content in your target language (YouTube is a good place to look). Even if you can speak well in the language - it won't matter much if you can't understand what things are being said or questions are being asked.
You can listen to songs, watch interesting videos (preferably with subtitles in your target language - but it depends on your current knowledge and ability in the language)

You can also change your phone language to your target language.

Read articles, blogs, books in your target language - make sure the content is about stuff that you enjoy and are interested in.

Practice and learn how pronunciation works in your target language - you might have to learn to make new sounds (for example the French r and u sounds don't exist in English and need to be learned by native English speakers learning French)

Try and get a text book for your GCSE language (and correct exam board) so you can see what topics you'll be doing at what specific phrases and vocabulary you need to know (example vocabulary relating to environmental issues)

Practice your reading and writing skills by looking at past papers. You don't have to do the whole past paper - you could just select one question to do from a writing paper and focus on answering it (look at the mark scheme when necessary)

Always try to read out what you have written in your target language to practice your speaking skills. (Forvo.com is a good website to look up pronunciations, though it has a limited number languages on it)

Don't be afraid to put on an accent in your target language. Try not to be nervous or shy or feel embarrassed - try to imagine your are a native speaker and put expression into what you say. Try and sound confident and speak fluidly.

Good luck! - and don't be afraid to use your teacher to practice (it's their job after all, and they are normally very happy to help!)

Also are you just learning the language for exams, or do you want to speak it fluently in the future too?
Original post by AGrizzlyBearo
Try search for a frequency word list in your target language (a list of the most common and used words) - even better if you can find one uses the word in an example sentence.
Once you know some of the top words (maybe 500+) you'll be in a very good position.

It's also important that you start listening to content in your target language (YouTube is a good place to look). Even if you can speak well in the language - it won't matter much if you can't understand what things are being said or questions are being asked.
You can listen to songs, watch interesting videos (preferably with subtitles in your target language - but it depends on your current knowledge and ability in the language)

Read articles, blogs, books in your target language - make sure the content is about stuff that you enjoy and are interested in.

Practice and learn how pronunciation works in your target language - you might have to learn to make new sounds (for example the French r and u sounds don't exist in English and need to be learned by native English speakers learning French)

Try and get a text book for your GCSE language (and correct exam board) so you can see what topics you'll be doing at what specific phrases and vocabulary you need to know (example vocabulary relating to environmental issues)

Practice your reading and writing skills by looking at past papers. You don't have to do the whole past paper - you could just select one question to do from a writing paper and focus on answering it (look at the mark scheme when necessary)

Always try to read out what you have written in your target language to practice your speaking skills. (Forvo.com is a good website to look up pronunciations, though it has a limited number languages on it)

Don't be afraid to put on an accent in your target language. Try not to be nervous or shy or feel embarrassed - try to imagine your are a native speaker and put expression into what you say. Try and sound confident and speak fluidly.

Good luck! - and don't be afraid to use your teacher to practice (it's their job after all, and they are normally very happy to help!)

Also are you just learning the language for exams, or do you want to speak it fluently in the future too?

Wow great advice! Better than mine!
Reply 11

Thank you so much for you reply and for recommending that website I'll check it out to see if they have Arabic and I am learning Arabic for the exams if it was my choice I would have taken my time into learning it after school but I am aiming to be fluent before the exams . Arabic is a language that I have always wanted to learn but never got the chance to when I was younger and idk school is just hard to learn such a complex language is a few years 😂 I would definitely use it even after I leave school tho .
Wow great advice! Better than mine!

Thanks! :smile:
But yours was also very good and included stuff that I didn't - it could very well be more useful than mine!
Thanks! :smile:
But yours was also very good and included stuff that I didn't - it could very well be more useful than mine!

😌 thanks
Original post by pjgirl707
Thank you so much for you reply and for recommending that website I'll check it out to see if they have Arabic and I am learning Arabic for the exams if it was my choice I would have taken my time into learning it after school but I am aiming to be fluent before the exams . Arabic is a language that I have always wanted to learn but never got the chance to when I was younger and idk school is just hard to learn such a complex language is a few years 😂 I would definitely use it even after I leave school tho .

No problem! I also searched a bit and found that it does include arabic: https://forvo.com/languages/ar/

Also, just the fact that you want to speak Arabic fluently later on in life gives you that extra edge and motivation!

Just another tip;
There may be times where you feel overwhelmed and just think 'This is impossible - how can I possibly learn a whole other language'. When this happens, try to think about why you want to language.
- For example imagine all of the different places and countries you could go and all the people your could meet, how you'll be more employable, or simply just the fact that speaking another language is pretty cool in its self.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
No problem! I also searched a bit and found that it does include arabic: https://forvo.com/languages/ar/

Also, just the fact that you want to speak Arabic fluently later on in life gives you that extra edge and motivation!

Just another tip;
There may be times where you feel overwhelmed and just think 'This is impossible - how can I possibly learn a whole other language'. When this happens, try to think about why you want to language.
- For example imagine all of the different places and countries you could go and all the people your could meet, how you'll be more employable, or simply just the fact that speaking another language is pretty cool in its self.

Thank you guys so much hopefully I'll be able to learn Arabic quicker thanks to your advice.
Original post by pjgirl707
Thank you guys so much hopefully I'll be able to learn Arabic quicker thanks to your advice.

No problem!!!
Good luck for ur upcoming exams!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending