The Student Room Group

Film Studies at Uni.

Hello,
I have a choice essentially between going and studying film studies or film production at university. I intend to go and do a postgraduate course at hopefully NFTS, however I don't know whether to start that 'practical' side of film straight away, or whether going and spending a few years studying the theory is actually going to be more useful in the long term. Studying film studies will also allow me to go to the 'top' universities such as lancaster, whereas film production seems to be leading me towards westminster, arguably not a BAD university, but not on the same league as lancaster. Will studying film studies and going to better uni give me an edge in terms of employability, or does the practical experience prove more appealing and westminsters rep hold up fine in the film industry? Thanks.
Original post by 15jwilliams
Hello,
I have a choice essentially between going and studying film studies or film production at university. I intend to go and do a postgraduate course at hopefully NFTS, however I don't know whether to start that 'practical' side of film straight away, or whether going and spending a few years studying the theory is actually going to be more useful in the long term. Studying film studies will also allow me to go to the 'top' universities such as lancaster, whereas film production seems to be leading me towards westminster, arguably not a BAD university, but not on the same league as lancaster. Will studying film studies and going to better uni give me an edge in terms of employability, or does the practical experience prove more appealing and westminsters rep hold up fine in the film industry? Thanks.

Hi there

It's great to hear you're considering Westminster to study Film. Finding employment in the film industry is challenging and competitive. Often it's about being in the right place at the right time. Having contacts within the film industry helps as well as having a good portfolio. A lot of students are already producing short films before they even start their degrees.

Like a lot of creative industries, it can seem impenetrable if you don’t happen to know the “right” people. Most students graduating from university will start as runners often working as unpaid interns gaining practical experience. You should decide which part of film making you want to pursue. At Westminster our Film BA is at least 60% practical. This course offers industry-relevant teaching and is endorsed by ScreenSkills, the skills body of UK’s screen-based creative industries. Whichever university you choose you should try to gain work experience in the summer holidays starting in Year 1 if possible. This will increase your chances of meeting industry people. Film is all about teamwork, and finding an aspiring writer, or composer or editor along your way will benefit both you and them when building a portfolio. Placing yourself around the right people will lead to great and broader opportunities.

Good luck with your studies.

Kim
Course Enquiries Team
Original post by 15jwilliams
Hello,

Hello,
Just a few points to help you to decide!
If you study film at Lancaster you'll have to do a minor (another subject in first year). Some students love this as it gives them an edge in their degree and they get to study another subject & broaden their skillset. Some obviously prefer to just study film! There's definitely opportunities to practice the practical element. The Lancaster University Film Production Society is super active and produces short films as well helping to produce content for the university and various clients. You can have a look at their Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/lufilmproduction/
There's also job opportunities to help you get experience too (as well as a lot of internships etc in Manchester which is about an hour away).
Hope this helps you to make your decision & let me know if you have any questions
Charlotte :smile:
2nd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending