The Student Room Group

Resitting Bio,Chem,Maths A Levels! HELP

So i have decided to resit all my subjects as a private candidate after getting disgraceful grades due to lack of effort, terrible teachers and poor mental health. i was predicted AAA with an offer to study at a superb london university. but i didn't get anywhere close to what i needed. does anyone have any advice/stories/website recomendations for studying for alevels resits by themselves?

please PM if you're in a similar situation. i feel like i'm all alone because my friends are all off to uni doing the subjects that they love and i'm stuck at home. my family are also being very negative about this whole thing (which i understand im dissapointed in myself too) but i can't really say anything to them since i'm the one who f'ed up my alevels. it might take me a couple of months before i can be okay again
I would go down the route of using Tailored Tutors and going over everything you have done for A Levels once again. Revisit every exercise in the textbook for maths and then go onto the past papers like C1-C4. Do other exam boards questions if you need to get extra questions.

For Bio and Chem, use Quizlet for flashcards and revisit the CGP revision guides. Get your base knowledge up to where it should be. Then go through past paper questions. Make certain you have a good base. Try to explain it back and use mindmaps and draw out spider diagrams in order to get the basic facts solidifed. Then do practice papers until the exam, saving some for when you are revising in between exams.
Original post by greenredviolet
So i have decided to resit all my subjects as a private candidate after getting disgraceful grades due to lack of effort, terrible teachers and poor mental health. i was predicted AAA with an offer to study at a superb london university. but i didn't get anywhere close to what i needed. does anyone have any advice/stories/website recomendations for studying for alevels resits by themselves?

please PM if you're in a similar situation. i feel like i'm all alone because my friends are all off to uni doing the subjects that they love and i'm stuck at home. my family are also being very negative about this whole thing (which i understand im dissapointed in myself too) but i can't really say anything to them since i'm the one who f'ed up my alevels. it might take me a couple of months before i can be okay again

Hey, you're definitely not alone! I felt disappointed in myself with my results too but you have to realise sometimes plan A doesn't work out be you can always look out for another option. Have you tried looking at other courses or maybe courses with foundation years. If not you could always resit. Just remember when one door closes there will always be another one that is open.
Original post by komaldeepx
Hey, you're definitely not alone! I felt disappointed in myself with my results too but you have to realise sometimes plan A doesn't work out be you can always look out for another option. Have you tried looking at other courses or maybe courses with foundation years. If not you could always resit. Just remember when one door closes there will always be another one that is open.

i did but i would much rather resit my exams and get the grades that i know i can hopefully get. i don't want to settle, but that's just me. everyone has a different path, and i feel like this is the one for me
i did but i would much rather resit my exams and get the grades that i know i can hopefully get. i don't want to settle, but that's just me. everyone has a different path, and i feel like this is the one for me

That's cool too but remember what you learnt from this year and use it to help you in the next e.g. have a revision timetable to stay committed; good luck!
Although I cannot offer any help as I am in year 12, what advice can you offer for biology and chemistry? if you could turn back time then what would you do differently? what do you think is essential to success in these subjects?
Reply 6

heyy! im also retaking the exact same subjects because i also f'ed up,, dw we can check in on each other we got this ✊🏼❤️
Original post by pjms
heyy! im also retaking the exact same subjects because i also f'ed up,, dw we can check in on each other we got this ✊🏼❤️

omg imagine if namjoon knew we flopped skjdsjdbfj
Reply 8
omg imagine if namjoon knew we flopped skjdsjdbfj

oh my god he deadass wouldnt wanna associate with us fools
Original post by Sharemine
EXAMPRO Exam questions for every single topic
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...c3BGxs5_te_saa
^^ literally saved my life , some questions came up in exam too . Good for recall and u will never run out.
- Also, the specification is also your best friend, read every single word and make sure u have covered every little thing , even the very small parts , this saved my exams.

Biology
- i made a google drive for EXAMPRO exam questions for every single topic, this is one of the best way to revise for biology, ANSWER MANY EXAM QUESTIONS every week. when making flashcards , for general questions e.g mitosis, learn the exam answers https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...0UbbaW7gweiVQi
- i used the aqa kerboodle online textbook
- also the specification is also your best friend here, make sure u have notes on every single part of the spec, even the small parts, Trust me.
- extra exam questions
https://padlet.com/andrew_p_luck/158f2rycp5hh

(ps: save this links on your computer, thnk me later)

IF U need extra help pls pm me :smile: goodluck

thank you so much. im going to download everything (im doing aqa biochem also) asap on my computer. how often did you do a work review? for example, to make sure you remember all the details for biology or the mechanics in chemistry. i found it hard to have a specific time to sit my *** down and force myself to review everything. because i was scared of not knowing something and having to go over a topic all over again which is so stupid and is costing me at the end
thank you so much. im going to download everything (im doing aqa biochem also) asap on my computer. how often did you do a work review? for example, to make sure you remember all the details for biology or the mechanics in chemistry. i found it hard to have a specific time to sit my *** down and force myself to review everything. because i was scared of not knowing something and having to go over a topic all over again which is so stupid and is costing me at the end

i say the most helpful way to learn mechanims, is using white board and keep doing active recall , i did mine like once a week every friday but started that in like jan/feb time. Best utuber was Allery chemistry and i also used chemrevise
Im thinking of retaking a level geography
Hey you’re not alone I feel the same although I got into my insurance (UEA) I was not happy about my results and I know my that I can do better so you’re definitely not the only one who feel this way . Also I did bio , Chem and psych

Hey, have you still got this material? It says error 404. Much appreciated!
Reply 15
^^ literally saved my life , some questions came up in exam too . Good for recall and u will never run out.
- Also, the specification is also your best friend, read every single word and make sure u have covered every little thing , even the very small parts , this saved my exams.

Biology
- i made a google drive for EXAMPRO exam questions for every single topic, this is one of the best way to revise for biology, ANSWER MANY EXAM QUESTIONS every week. when making flashcards , for general questions e.g mitosis, learn the exam answers https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...0UbbaW7gweiVQi
- also the specification is also your best friend here, make sure u have notes on every single part of the spec, even the small parts, Trust me.
- extra exam questions

is there anyway u could send that again😭😭😭
Reply 16
Original post by GOATCR7
is there anyway u could send that again😭😭😭

Did you get a response
Reply 17

Biology
- extra exam questions

Hi is there anyway you can share this with me x

Hey 🙂 Planning to retake the same subjects as you and same I did not amazingly well... I know you posted this years a go but would like to ask on any updates on the retaking and what uni you got into! If you have any tips for retaking these 3 hard levels again please share:smile:) Thank you x

Quick Reply

Latest