The Student Room Group

Can I do physics or chem a level with these grades

I got a 7/7 in combined science but messed about all the two years and the only revision I ever did was one or two days before the exam. And I got a 6 in maths but was only 5 marks off of a 7 in maths. Right now I’m doing biology economics and geography but you can’t do that much with just buology. If I did the 20 hours per week my school recommends of revision plus doing homework on the day and doing past papers could I get an a star or an a. And are these good a levels to pick.
Of course! Those grades are perfectly fine for the alevels that you want to take, there's a lot of math involved within alevel science. But if you got a 6, almost a 7, then you're going be fine because they teach you to do all that anyways
Original post by Sugoistar
Of course! Those grades are perfectly fine for the alevels that you want to take, there's a lot of math involved within alevel science. But if you got a 6, almost a 7, then you're going be fine because they teach you to do all that anyways

Are you sure I can get an A or B with good amounts of work but not having to do crazy work compared to all the other students.
Original post by Deisosospiw
Are you sure I can get an A or B with good amounts of work but not having to do crazy work compared to all the other students.

You don't have to combine biology with another science if you don't want to. Biology, economics and geography is a perfectly fine combination provided that they meet any requirements for uni courses that you're considering.

If you do physics or chemistry it's generally recommended that you take maths as well, just because the skills complement each other well (you don't need content from A level maths to do physics or chemistry).
Original post by GreenCub
You don't have to combine biology with another science if you don't want to. Biology, economics and geography is a perfectly fine combination provided that they meet any requirements for uni courses that you're considering.

If you do physics or chemistry it's generally recommended that you take maths as well, just because the skills complement each other well (you don't need content from A level maths to do physics or chemistry).

I want to go into banking, law or consulting. Therefore I wana do a degree in finance,business or law. However I do want to keep my options open and geography is extremely boring even though I’m very good at it. 8 at gcse
I want to go into banking, law or consulting. Therefore I wana do a degree in finance,business or law. However I do want to keep my options open and geography is extremely boring even though I’m very good at it. 8 at gcse

This isn't always the case, but it can sometimes be advantageous to take Maths for finance or business. If you find geography boring, why did you take it? Did the course just turn out not to be as interesting as you thought it would be, or did you pick it to fill up an option slot?
Reply 6

TAKE MATHS TAKE MATHS TAKE MATHS TAKE MATHS

It's the best a-level for finance and business tbh. And yes, I did put maths above business for a business degree.
Original post by hoixw
TAKE MATHS TAKE MATHS TAKE MATHS TAKE MATHS

It's the best a-level for finance and business tbh. And yes, I did put maths above business for a business degree.

I agree, Maths A level is light-years more useful for a career in finance/business than a Business Studies A level. Most finance employers ask for a numerate degree (maths, physics, chemistry, engineering, statistics/data science etc) and almost never require a finance degree. That said, it's perfectly possible to get into finance without maths...
Original post by hoixw
MATHS TAKE MATHS TAKE MATHS TAKE MATHS

I can’t do a level maths I only got a 6
Original post by GreenCub
This isn't always the case, but it can sometimes be advantageous to take Maths for finance or business. If you find geography boring, why did you take it? Did the course just turn out not to be as interesting as you thought it would be, or did you pick it to fill up an option slot?

Because I’m good at it and it’s a traditional subject. I can’t do maths
Because I’m good at it and it’s a traditional subject. I can’t do maths

Still, if you find a subject extremely boring, it's not a good idea to take it.

Quick Reply

Latest