The Student Room Group

4th year medical student - I am finding medicine so hard

I am a fourth-year medical student who is struggling.

1. I come home from clinics and am exhausted! I don't know whether making notes is worth it or not. I also can't seem to answer qs that my fellow peers can. I also struggle with taking a good history and examining. I literally have no idea how I have made it this far.

2. I am also dyslexic and feel this is affecting me on placements a lot - especially making notes/spelling new illnesses etc. Furthermore, to this I struggle with talking in general. I stutter a lot and can never form sentences. Is there a way I can work on this ?
Medical school *
Original post by Confffffffused
I am a fourth-year medical student who is struggling.

1. I come home from clinics and am exhausted! I don't know whether making notes is worth it or not. I also can't seem to answer qs that my fellow peers can. I also struggle with taking a good history and examining. I literally have no idea how I have made it this far.

2. I am also dyslexic and feel this is affecting me on placements a lot - especially making notes/spelling new illnesses etc. Furthermore, to this I struggle with talking in general. I stutter a lot and can never form sentences. Is there a way I can work on this ?

presumably you've just started on clinics - I am at the same stage as you. Just work slowly and practice slowly - like we all know some stuff and don't know other stuff that our peers do know, because we are all at different stages depending on which wards/GP we are placed with
Original post by HumblyBumbly
presumably you've just started on clinics - I am at the same stage as you. Just work slowly and practice slowly - like we all know some stuff and don't know other stuff that our peers do know, because we are all at different stages depending on which wards/GP we are placed with

I get what you mean but I feel that some students are just naturally SMART! They read something on a slide and can remember it forever. I don't get much out of lectures - most of the time I find it hard to follow through what the lecture is actually saying and how it ties with the overall picture.

Do you study after clinics?
I get what you mean but I feel that some students are just naturally SMART! They read something on a slide and can remember it forever. I don't get much out of lectures - most of the time I find it hard to follow through what the lecture is actually saying and how it ties with the overall picture.

Do you study after clinics?

I think different people learn in different ways. I am terrible at listening to lectures! I get so bored and switch off. I am good at sitting at home with books. I actually got a distinction* last year (finished top 10% in the medical school exams)

I do study most days or at least like read a clinical case study. Atm I am using this book: Oxford Cases in Medicine and Surgery
Original post by HumblyBumbly
I think different people learn in different ways. I am terrible at listening to lectures! I get so bored and switch off. I am good at sitting at home with books. I actually got a distinction* last year (finished top 10% in the medical school exams)

I do study most days or at least like read a clinical case study. Atm I am using this book: Oxford Cases in Medicine and Surgery

That's well impressive. Do you mind me asking you a bit more about your study routine?
Do you study from books more than lecture slides? Do you write or type up your notes? Do you use flashcards? How do you consolidate your learning? Do you study everyday?

That's well impressive. Do you mind me asking you a bit more about your study routine?
Do you study from books more than lecture slides? Do you write or type up your notes? Do you use flashcards? How do you consolidate your learning? Do you study everyday?

for clinical medicine I use Kumar & Clarke's + Oxford Handbook of Clinical medicine (previously I used to use lecture slides)

I do a bit of both - writing and typing (depends on how I feel haha)

I do use flashcards when they are available!

consolidation --> flashcards or case studies

I try to do a bit every day yeah!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending