The Student Room Group

can I do medicine with btec applied science and psychology A-Level

so I'm currently studying btec applied science double and psychology a level. I'm predicted a D* D* and A* and my GCSE results are average (mostly 6s) I heard that you can do medicine in certain universities if an a level is taken with btec applied science, and getting the highest grades possible, but I don't know the whole info for it. I just wanted to know if I could do medicine with these courses. if I need another A-level I wouldn't mind. do you think the unis would care if I got 6s in GCSE eventhough if I get the highest results for my courses?? otherwise, is there any other way I could do medicine?
Usually they require an a-level in science, so either biology, physics or chemistry. However, you can go the apprenticeship route and do a kind of work experience / placement to gain a qualification. Hope it works out for you
Reply 2
Original post by Tigger234
Usually they require an a-level in science, so either biology, physics or chemistry. However, you can go the apprenticeship route and do a kind of work experience / placement to gain a qualification. Hope it works out for you

thank you UWU
maybe if you were taking the extended diploma in applied science? & St Georges, University of London accepts grade 6 & above at GCSE & AAB A Levels, but doesn’t show alternative accepted grades for BTECs. There are many universities that still accept BTEC which has enough scientific content (usually ask for extended diploma on it’s own). Unfortunately many medical schools do not accept A Level Psychology to be one of the chosen A Levels along with General Studies etc.
Reply 4
Original post by OK432
so I'm currently studying btec applied science double and psychology a level. I'm predicted a D* D* and A* and my GCSE results are average (mostly 6s) I heard that you can do medicine in certain universities if an a level is taken with btec applied science, and getting the highest grades possible, but I don't know the whole info for it. I just wanted to know if I could do medicine with these courses. if I need another A-level I wouldn't mind. do you think the unis would care if I got 6s in GCSE eventhough if I get the highest results for my courses?? otherwise, is there any other way I could do medicine?

most unis will say no but best thing to do before even applying is to email the unis. youre most likely going to have to apply for a foundation year for medicine. https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2019/01430/mbchb-medicine-6-years-including-foundation-year/entry-requirements/#alternative-entry-requirements. this is one foundation year for medicine D*D and A at a level there are others but youre gonna have to do the research and email them. there was this girl that went to the same college as me and managed to get into medicine for a foundation year with btec level 3 applied science and nothing else. literally all the teachers said she wouldnt get in but after emailing about 30 unis she got 1 offer that if she got D*D*D* she would be allowed to do the foundation year and shes now studying medicine. if youre really passionate about this go for it
Reply 5
Original post by Tigger234

honestly im not sure what youre on about theres no apprenticeship thats gonna get you into medicine, i highly doubt it. only ways that i know of that can get you into medicine is through direct entry, foundation year and graduate entry.
Reply 6
Original post by hilmao
honestly im not sure what youre on about theres no apprenticeship thats gonna get you into medicine, i highly doubt it. only ways that i know of that can get you into medicine is through direct entry, foundation year and graduate entry.

My friend is doing psychology in uni rn, she said that after she finishes the degree in psychology she can do medicine, is that even possible
Reply 7
Original post by OK432
My friend is doing psychology in uni rn, she said that after she finishes the degree in psychology she can do medicine, is that even possible

well yh you can do that as graduate entry medicine. most people doing biomed science often go onto other degrees such as dentisry or medicine
Reply 8
she has to get a 2:1 in psychology or higher then apply as graduate entry to medicine then go through the same process as normal medicine with interviews and ukcat or bmat if the uni requires it
Reply 9
Original post by hilmao
she has to get a 2:1 in psychology or higher then apply as graduate entry to medicine then go through the same process as normal medicine with interviews and ukcat or bmat if the uni requires it

ah I see. is there a specific GCSE requirement?
Reply 10
Original post by hilmao
most unis will say no but best thing to do before even applying is to email the unis. youre most likely going to have to apply for a foundation year for medicine. https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2019/01430/mbchb-medicine-6-years-including-foundation-year/entry-requirements/#alternative-entry-requirements. this is one foundation year for medicine D*D and A at a level there are others but youre gonna have to do the research and email them. there was this girl that went to the same college as me and managed to get into medicine for a foundation year with btec level 3 applied science and nothing else. literally all the teachers said she wouldnt get in but after emailing about 30 unis she got 1 offer that if she got D*D*D* she would be allowed to do the foundation year and shes now studying medicine. if youre really passionate about this go for it

aww thanks this really helped! bless you
Reply 11
Original post by OK432
ah I see. is there a specific GCSE requirement?

there usually is but depends on the uni, some will ask for a level and bio and chem to be certain grades as well its just university specific.
Reply 12
Original post by OK432
aww thanks this really helped! bless you

your welcome, but you should do your own research on specific universities as well

Quick Reply

Latest