The Student Room Group

If labour were to get back into power, when would uni tuition fees get scrapped

Say something like a vote of no confidence passed, in these next few months, and somehow a general election was called, when would labour scrap tuition fees? next academic year?

And also whats the likelihood of a general election within these next few months?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
Say something like a vote of no confidence passed, in these next few months, and somehow a general election was called, when would labour scrap tuition fees? next academic year?

And also whats the likelihood of a general election within these next few months?

All unlikely imo. If he scraps tuition fees then where is he getting the money and that means money for other things will have to be scrapped, like the nhs money.

Dont think he will get in anyway. he is pretty unelectable.
Reply 2
General election this year - pretty certain. Labour to scrap tuition fees early in a parliament if they win or get into a coalition? Don't know. If they reduced the tuition fee loan down to £3k I doubt the cost would be particularly huge so it might be a pretty clever slight of hand.
This is more likely to be made our national anthem than tuition fees be abolished.
https://youtu.be/w7PYASZn86A
Original post by Andrew97
This is more likely to be made our national anthem than tuition fees be abolished.
https://youtu.be/w7PYASZn86A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caBOkyguZ_c

You're one for debates aren't you? I'm actually trying to get an answer to my question
Reply 5

You're one for debates aren't you? I'm actually trying to get an answer to my question

What is your particular concern about student loans?
There will likely be an election towards the end of this year, or early next year at the latest. So presuming there is a late november election...

If Labour stood on a manifesto of free tuition fees, and it was a key promise of theirs, then we can presume they would do it. Its certainly not impossible or that hard for them if they were the majority government. They would just increase our borrowing a bit, and get on with it..

But, I doubt it would happen before they sort out brexit. Like with the current and past tory goverments, most big social policies will be delayed whilst they sort out the crisis of brexit.

So for me, the quickest it could happen would be:

Nov 2019 - election, labour win a majority
Dec 2019 to June 2020 - labours 6 month renegotiation they have already promised
July-August 2020 - labours proposed referendum on what ever deal they made vs remain
September onward... no more Brexit, back to working on domestic policy properly.

So for me, at the absolute earliest, presuming they wanted to do it, and achieved a majority in an election, would be around this time next year. I highly doubt they will put any significant spending or major plans through until they 'sort out' brexit first.
If they promise to cancel old student debt... I may actually vote for them.

I don't live in the UK, so all the stuff they want to do that I disagree with won't effect me.. but cancelling my student debt would save me a good bit of money each year, and give me a bit of peace of mind being debt free.

Yeah, I’m just messing with you.

To answer your question, I don’t think so.

firstly I don’t think a majority is possible for Labour right now, probably due to Brexit and some people do not trust Mr Corbyn.

a GE is entirely possible, the opposition don’t want one until Johnson has asked for, and got, an extension to article 50. However, this may be vetoed by Hungary.

On the policy itself, I don’t think it’s feasible. It is way too expensive. Corbyn and co need to find the money from somewhere. You can only tax the rich so much, this will get more expensive as more go to uni. Moreover, it is understandably popular with students (who in all likelihood will vote labour anyway). But won’t get them votes from elsewhere. Why would many adults vote for this policy? Why should working class people in the north pay for rich kids to go to uni?
Even if they got into power I doubt they will actually scrap tuition fees
As soon as humanly possible. Ideally before I go to uni!!

It might depend on the extent of the reforms, and exactly what they intend to do. It’s unlikely to be overnight though.

A GE is virtually inevitable in the next few months. The Conservative party cannot govern at the moment, but Labour needs an election as well, but ideally one in which Brexit plays second fiddle to their messaging on the economy, inequality, and action on climate change. Unfortunately that’s unlikely to happen.

Labours indecision on Brexit will hurt it, but the conservatives risk being undermined by Farage and the Brexit party, not to mention the fact that in many of the Labour seats they need to win, there is distrust and dislike of the tories going back generations.

If party identity (left-right) matters more to people than Brexit identity (remainer-leaver) then Labour has a good chance at a good result. If Brexit identity matter more, the conservatives will probably do well.

It’s likely to be somewhere in between these two, which could result in another hung parliament or a razor thin majority for one party or the other. The Lib Dems will probably rather well, as they are a more attractive prospect to Conservative remainers and moderates than Corbyns party, as well as to Labour remainers worried about their party’s Brexit strategy.

It depends on the size of Labour’s majority. If they are in a minority Govt, then it is very unlikely the policy can go through Parliament. If there was a majority, then Prime Minister Corbyn can whip the votes and get it down by the first year in office.

The money can be obtained from wasteful projects like HS2, Trident etc. It is laughable how people claim there is no money, then we hear of another ridiculous project for London or £1 Billion for the DUP.

No tuition fees will be phased in IMHO. I think October 2020 or 2021 depending on when and the size of Labour’s majority.
Not even scrapped uni fees would be worth labour getting into power...
Original post by Wired_1800
It depends on the size of Labour’s majority. If they are in a minority Govt, then it is very unlikely the policy can go through Parliament. If there was a majority, then Prime Minister Corbyn can whip the votes and get it down by the first year in office.

The money can be obtained from wasteful projects like HS2, Trident etc. It is laughable how people claim there is no money, then we hear of another ridiculous project for London or £1 Billion for the DUP.

No tuition fees will be phased in IMHO. I think October 2020 or 2021 depending on when and the size of Labour’s majority.

Im not sure that labour would need much if any of a majority for this - coalition partners such as th SNP would hardly be opposed.
Reply 14

Labour commits to nothing. Look at the language they use. They use semantics and double-speak. If you want to see the UK end up a dustbin..vote Labour.
I think i've just entered some sort of Hyperlie state where I can't take any politician seriously or at toenail value let alone face.

It's like if you extend the 'One apple ruins the barrel' metaphor to it's natural conclusion..add all the disease, insects and stench, and some grinning berk is telling you 'There's some good apples still in there if you look!'
Original post by ajj2000
Im not sure that labour would need much if any of a majority for this - coalition partners such as th SNP would hardly be opposed.

Depends on whether the SNP have the numbers. They may choose to frustrate the Government, in order to get another shot at referendum.
Original post by Wired_1800
Depends on whether the SNP have the numbers. They may choose to frustrate the Government, in order to get another shot at referendum.

Well - Scotland will either vote SNP or labour. One way or another Corbyn has a route forward - but a big fight with the Scotish Labour party if he goes the SNP route to power.
Original post by ajj2000
Well - Scotland will either vote SNP or labour. One way or another Corbyn has a route forward - but a big fight with the Scotish Labour party if he goes the SNP route to power.

Exactly. That is why he needs the votes, yours and mine. He needs the MPs to have the majority to bring in the change that we want in this country.
They aren't

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending