The Student Room Group

Can I say something about a levels?

Everyone always wanted to pick psychology and I can see why coz it does seem rly interesting and fun BUT
I was suffering with mental health issues and it was difficult for me and I thought that psychology alevel would be hell for me coz it’ll be teaching about things I wanted to stay away from like the diagnosis of mental health issues, why some get it and how does it get better and so on. I’ve heard from my friends that you learn about murdered ‘crazy ppl’ as well and I don’t classify them as crazy coz obviously something was wrong with them to become like that. Anyway my question is I kinda think I would’ve enjoyed psychology alevel more than geography alevel but the reason I didn’t take it was so that I could stop the regression of going back to mental health issue. I always became tense when I heard ppl talking about mental health issues but now I see it as a problem that ppl must know about but....I don’t even know what I’m saying lol. Basically am I missing a whole lot out by doing geo instead of psychology???
Reply 1
I'll answer the question at the end:

We're all missing out. I could have taken a language, or chemistry, or economics, or any other of the myriad of A-level subjects that exist. Just make the best of what you have chosen and hope that they were your favourites.
Do you like geography? If so, relax.

tbh I think your impression of psychology A-level is a bit warped but I don't know much about the subject content either.
Reply 2
Psychology is really interesting.
Psychopathology (i.e. mental health) is a part of all psychology A-Levels, but is really only one of the many topics you'll have to study. To be honest, most of the things you learn aren't as attention-grabbing as the type of stuff you've mentioned, but when I was taking it I actually found topics like memory, perception and bio-psychology more interesting.
The best thing to do would be some reading into psychology on your own. If it interests you, you could always do it later down the line at uni (and don't worry - you're not missing out that much IMO. Psychology is great, but the actual A-Level is very little except essay writing, and most of the content is oversimplified for the sake of that).
Ah that makes me feel better. I guess when I had a few problems with my mental health it severely put me of the alevel coz I thought I want to stay away from things that will trigger the issues again but I have recently become interested. I think I’ll stick to reading books about it etc and perhaps consider it for uni. Thank you!!!!
I doubt you're missing out on anything. A levels are beginner level by nature. You could easily just read about Psychology online.
Ah that makes me feel better. I guess when I had a few problems with my mental health it severely put me of the alevel coz I thought I want to stay away from things that will trigger the issues again but I have recently become interested. I think I’ll stick to reading books about it etc and perhaps consider it for uni. Thank you!!!!

Original post by Sinnoh
I'll answer the question at the end:

We're all missing out. I could have taken a language, or chemistry, or economics, or any other of the myriad of A-level subjects that exist. Just make the best of what you have chosen and hope that they were your favourites.
Do you like geography? If so, relax.

tbh I think your impression of psychology A-level is a bit warped but I don't know much about the subject content either.

That’s very true. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest