The Student Room Group

Interior Design

Do i need art for interior design because i recently changed my mind about my university choices and i'm in year 13 so i cant change my subjects now . im currently studying biology chemistry and maths
Original post by For_Good_Luck
Do i need art for interior design because i recently changed my mind about my university choices and i'm in year 13 so i cant change my subjects now . im currently studying biology chemistry and maths

If you don't have an art or design A level then you'll need to put together a portfolio of design and creative work in your free time. Is that something you can do? Talk to your teachers about making sure your UCAS application doesn't go off until January so that you have as much time as possible to work on your portfolio before you get any requests/invitations to interview.

As a backup look into applying to art & design foundation diploma courses at your local colleges/art universities. It's a 1 year course designed to help you explore different types of creative work, produce a banging portfolio and help you with creative university applications.
Original post by PQ
If you don't have an art or design A level then you'll need to put together a portfolio of design and creative work in your free time. Is that something you can do? Talk to your teachers about making sure your UCAS application doesn't go off until January so that you have as much time as possible to work on your portfolio before you get any requests/invitations to interview.

As a backup look into applying to art & design foundation diploma courses at your local colleges/art universities. It's a 1 year course designed to help you explore different types of creative work, produce a banging portfolio and help you with creative university applications.

Ahh perfect i was already preparing a portfolio for my own purposes . Do you know what kind of work i need to put into my portfolio just to make sure im not missing anything, and is it absolutely necessary to do an art course or can miss that out ? i mean i did art in gcse so i can use that.
Original post by For_Good_Luck
Ahh perfect i was already preparing a portfolio for my own purposes . Do you know what kind of work i need to put into my portfolio just to make sure im not missing anything, and is it absolutely necessary to do an art course or can miss that out ? i mean i did art in gcse so i can use that.

I'm only saying look into a foundation diploma as a backup - if you don't get any offers this year then it gives you a productive way to boost your portfolio and get an extra qualification if things don't work out.

What kind of work do you have? for a course like interiors then you'd normally have a lot of observational drawing/sketches, some 3D work/models/mockups, maybe some textiles work and one or two projects showing start to finish (so a brief, a mood board/inspirations, refining your ideas, a mockup and a final design). Your portfolio should show your creative process - how you take a task, come up with ideas, do research and develop your idea and come up with a final piece of work...that shows how "teachable" you can be.

Quick Reply

Latest