The Student Room Group

NHS Graduate Management Training Scheme (GMTS) 2020

Now that it is officially open, is anyone here applying to the GMTS, for September 2020 intake?

I am yet to, but I know that I definitely am! Thinking of either Policy & Strategy, or General Management. Also looking at the DHSC scheme.

What is everyone else thinking?

Also, if anyone has any tips or useful info, feel free to share for the benefit of everyone!

Scroll to see replies

anyone struggling with the personality profiler?
Original post by HR2326
Now that it is officially open, is anyone here applying to the GMTS, for September 2020 intake?

I am yet to, but I know that I definitely am! Thinking of either Policy & Strategy, or General Management. Also looking at the DHSC scheme.

What is everyone else thinking?

Also, if anyone has any tips or useful info, feel free to share for the benefit of everyone!

I want to apply for the general management scheme
A lot of people keep failing the personality profiler, why is this?
Hi, I've started the application for this, I've applied for Health Analysis and Health Informatics for my second choice.

Hoping to complete the tests this weekend.

I applied last year and got to the video interview but i couldn't complete the interview due to personal circumstances. So hoping i can make it at least that far again this year.
Reply 5
Original post by Aiviloblue
Hi, I've started the application for this, I've applied for Health Analysis and Health Informatics for my second choice.

I applied last year and got to the video interview but i couldn't complete the interview due to personal circumstances. So hoping i can make it at least that far again this year.

I hope you're able to get as far, and then beyond this year! It seems to me like, provided you have positive circumstances, you will do just fine.

Given that you applied last year, do you have anything particularly note worthy to mention about the application process as whole?
Original post by HR2326
I hope you're able to get as far, and then beyond this year! It seems to me like, provided you have positive circumstances, you will do just fine.

Given that you applied last year, do you have anything particularly note worthy to mention about the application process as whole?

Thank you! And yourself:smile:

Well, its all a bit hazey as so much was going on at the time and so many graduate schemes were released at once.
From what I remember, the tests were more overwhelming becuse of how many there are and how long they can take, more so than their difficulty. You see, they have a set pass mark already if I'm right, so you will know if you can progress to the next test pretty much right away. This does not mean that it is sufficient enough to pass to the next stage though. Once you complete all the tests, you will have to wait a couple of days MINIMUM, before you are told if you have passed to the video interview. So though you may pass the tests initially and get to the next stage, this does not mean your scores are enough to get you to the video interview. (Not 100% sure about that but by reading the threads last year and the website, this is my understanding.) I don't much further than that. You don't get feedback for the tests either I'm sure.

A friend on mine applied alongside me and she made it to the assessment centre and also got a place and is currently working in general management. She got to choose her location preferences a lot later in the process, around the assessment centre dates I'm sure? Which she did get.

Hi, I hope you do really well, do keep us informed on how the tests go !

Do you have any info on how its possible to fail on either the SJT or personality profiler, I though it was not possible! But my friends have said they failed the personality profiler, I know that there is a certain type of person they are looking for but how can you get below their bench mark?

After hearing this I'm so scared to apply Lol as you can only apply once a year, I don't want to mess it up so early into the application process, I too want to apply and do the tests by the weekend, if I can build the courage !!:s-smilie:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by James Smith 90

Do you have any info on how its possible to fail on either the SJT or personality profiler, I though it was not possible! But my friends have said they failed the personality profiler, I know that there is a certain type of person they are looking for but how can you get below their bench mark?

After hearing this I'm so scared to apply Lol as you can only apply once a year, I don't want to mess it up so early into the application process, I too want to apply and do the tests by the weekend, if I can build the courage !!:s-smilie:

I've started my application, and did the SJT. Got the personality profiler up next.

In my opinion, the SJT wasn't very complex. Provided you trust your judgement and are fairly reasonable and well thought out, you will do fine! Just take your time, absorb all the info (there isn't much), select your answers and then read back through them to ensure it all makes sense. It's easy to mis-order them, I did a couple of times and then changed them to how I wanted!

The personality profiler is up next, so I'll let you know how it goes when I do it this evening.
Original post by HR2326
I've started my application, and did the SJT. Got the personality profiler up next.

In my opinion, the SJT wasn't very complex. Provided you trust your judgement and are fairly reasonable and well thought out, you will do fine! Just take your time, absorb all the info (there isn't much), select your answers and then read back through them to ensure it all makes sense. It's easy to mis-order them, I did a couple of times and then changed them to how I wanted!

The personality profiler is up next, so I'll let you know how it goes when I do it this evening.

Hi,
Yes in my opinion the SJT seems straightforward as I've practised for it, but in terms of the personality profiler, my friends have said its very different in terms of format to others as you have to move the slider to either one of two statements, they found it difficult on some questions to choose one end so they went for the middle, but what does the middle mean that you're not sure or you feel equal about both statements?

Thank you I would appreciate your feedback on it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Hi,

I did all the tests yesterday and got through to video interview. I didn't find the personality profiler challenging so I'd say just go for it and see what happens!
Hi everyone,

I’ll definitely be applying for this intake but haven’t started the application yet because I can’t tell if I’m prepared enough for the tests. Numeral reasoning makes me nervous.

Are the tests timed, out of interest? Particularly for the numeral reasoning.

I’ll be applying for Policy and Strategy and the DHSC Fast Stream, although they are separate applications. Provided you’re allowed to apply for both (I emailed yesterday asking but had no reply). I’m assuming you are though.

Good luck everyone and keep us updated.

Ps. I’ve seen that the intake for this year is 500. Was this the same as last year?
Original post by James Smith 90

I don't really know how important or how the personality profiler works, I am sure they will be looking for certain things but as for failing it, I can only think of one way that might happen, though it is just speculation. I assume that, as you said your friends did, constantly choosing the middle of the scale doesn't give much evidence of your personality, not enough for them to judge anyways, it could indicate your inability to make firm decisions, even about yourself (I remember geting scolded for this in an interview for something completely different-by making comments such as 'i think' rather than 'I am').
Just answer honestly and if you find a question tough, give yourself an extra minute about what you think it means, but usually with personality profilers, i go with my first instinct of how I believe I am.

Good luck!
Original post by connorfrench96
Hi everyone,

I’ll definitely be applying for this intake but haven’t started the application yet because I can’t tell if I’m prepared enough for the tests. Numeral reasoning makes me nervous.

Are the tests timed, out of interest? Particularly for the numeral reasoning.

I’ll be applying for Policy and Strategy and the DHSC Fast Stream, although they are separate applications. Provided you’re allowed to apply for both (I emailed yesterday asking but had no reply). I’m assuming you are though.

Good luck everyone and keep us updated.

Ps. I’ve seen that the intake for this year is 500. Was this the same as last year?

Hi,

There is no time limit for any of the tests but I think for the last 3, numerical, critical reasoning and the verbal reasoning, though there is no time limit, time is taken into account. It says on the website it should take 30 minutes approximately for the tests, so I would use that as a guideline.

I have also applied for the DHSC, and as far as I'm concerened, you can apply for both, that was what I applied to last year but through the NHS management scheme, I believe they only became seperate applications this year.
Hi,

There is no time limit for any of the tests but I think for the last 3, numerical, critical reasoning and the verbal reasoning, though there is no time limit, time is taken into account. It says on the website it should take 30 minutes approximately for the tests, so I would use that as a guideline.

I have also applied for the DHSC, and as far as I'm concerened, you can apply for both, that was what I applied to last year but through the NHS management scheme, I believe they only became seperate applications this year.

Hello,

Thanks for this, very much appreciated.

Are you able to have breaks between tests or do you have to do them all in one sitting? Rather nervous you see as I’ve had my eye on the scheme for over a year and really want to get past the tests. I feel like they will be my biggest barrier.

Thanks again
Original post by connorfrench96
Hello,

Thanks for this, very much appreciated.

Are you able to have breaks between tests or do you have to do them all in one sitting? Rather nervous you see as I’ve had my eye on the scheme for over a year and really want to get past the tests. I feel like they will be my biggest barrier.

Thanks again

No problem!

You get breaks, don't worry:tongue:
After each test it takes you back to your application homepage where you will find out if you've met the reqiured minimum mark for said test, before you can start the next one. So it goes in order, for example: if you fail the situational judgement test, then you can't progress onto the personality profiler and hence you're out of the running all-together.

So just take it one step at a time, I guess some people prefer to do them all in one sitting but if you prefer to prepare for each test beforehand, then it's okay to do them days apart. Good Luck!
No problem!

You get breaks, don't worry:tongue:
After each test it takes you back to your application homepage where you will find out if you've met the reqiured minimum mark for said test, before you can start the next one. So it goes in order, for example: if you fail the situational judgement test, then you can't progress onto the personality profiler and hence you're out of the running all-together.

So just take it one step at a time, I guess some people prefer to do them all in one sitting but if you prefer to prepare for each test beforehand, then it's okay to do them days apart. Good Luck!

Amazing thank you so much for this.

Really appreciated. And best of luck to you!
I don't really know how important or how the personality profiler works, I am sure they will be looking for certain things but as for failing it, I can only think of one way that might happen, though it is just speculation. I assume that, as you said your friends did, constantly choosing the middle of the scale doesn't give much evidence of your personality, not enough for them to judge anyways, it could indicate your inability to make firm decisions, even about yourself (I remember geting scolded for this in an interview for something completely different-by making comments such as 'i think' rather than 'I am').
Just answer honestly and if you find a question tough, give yourself an extra minute about what you think it means, but usually with personality profilers, i go with my first instinct of how I believe I am.

Good luck!

Hi,
I mean it could be a possibility although they said they didn't do that for all just a few, I don't know whether it could be a system error? But I'm sure we'll find out when someone does it and then gives us feedback
Original post by cjp987
Hi,

I did all the tests yesterday and got through to video interview. I didn't find the personality profiler challenging so I'd say just go for it and see what happens!

Hi, Congrats!
For the personality profiler did you choose one statement each time or for some questions did you put the slider in the middle? I'm so scared to do the personality profiler after my friends failed them, I didn't think it was possible!
Got through to the video interview stage today. Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending