The Student Room Group

What area of Mathematics do you prefer?

Those of you who are studying/have studied maths post A level, do you prefer Pure, applied or stats and why?
Original post by MajorFader
Those of you who are studying/have studied maths post A level, do you prefer Pure, applied or stats and why?

Pure. Simply because it comes a lot more naturally to me than anything applied.
Applied. I like application to real life and the methods are usually not too hard to understand. And
Probability (not stats) it just clicks with me and its super useful.

Pure is too abstract and Im unmotivated when I was studying it, I could never grasp group/rings and number theory properly without doing many steps of thinking.

I don't like stats because I find it incredibly boring, although I did find the application interesting and undoubtedly useful esp in linear modelling, I am not good at it.
Reply 3
Original post by NotNotBatman
Applied. I like application to real life and the methods are usually not too hard to understand. And
Probability (not stats) it just clicks with me and its super useful.

Pure is too abstract and Im unmotivated when I was studying it, I could never grasp group/rings and number theory properly without doing many steps of thinking.

I don't like stats because I find it incredibly boring, although I did find the application interesting and undoubtedly useful esp in linear modelling, I am not good at it.

I’ll probs choose pure and applied modules next year, can’t stand stats 🤮.
Original post by MajorFader
I’ll probs choose pure and applied modules next year, can’t stand stats 🤮.

What year will you be going into?
Reply 5
Original post by NotNotBatman
What year will you be going into?

2nd

Quick Reply

Latest