The Student Room Group

Immigration in England

Looking at Brexit it seems English people hate immigration from Europe, but I'm left wondering why the English hate immigration from Europe but seem to welcome immigration from Arabia, Pakistan and India?

Even there mayor is Pakistani and there secretary of state is Indian

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's quite the opposite.
English people don't hate immigration. Actually by comparative international poles, the British are some of the most welcoming and accepting of migrants. Far more so than varous other comparable European countries.. (france etc.)

What they hate is Mass migration. Slow down the number to a reasonable level, and all but the most hard-core racists will stop complaining quickly..
Original post by fallen_acorns
English people don't hate immigration. Actually by comparative international poles, the British are some of the most welcoming and accepting of migrants. Far more so than varous other comparable European countries.. (france etc.)

What they hate is Mass migration. Slow down the number to a reasonable level, and all but the most hard-core racists will stop complaining quickly..

They may slow European immigration but it looks like Asian, Arabs and African immigration will just be getting bigger and bigger.
Reply 5
Original post by Answer seeker90
Looking at Brexit it seems English people hate immigration from Europe, but I'm left wondering why the English hate immigration from Europe but seem to welcome immigration from Arabia, Pakistan and India?

The same people who dislike European migration also tend to dislike any migration. It's just that the migration from the former empire has been going on much longer so those people are essentially used to it.
Reply 6
lots of people who voted to leave are not against immigration - they are against open borders. people who come here from outside the EU must apply; they must have a student or work visa or they need a family member to sponsor them. i don't know what you're saying is true that they are more welcomed, but if it is true that's one possible reason. not that the average UK citizen understands immigration law.
They may slow European immigration but it looks like Asian, Arabs and African immigration will just be getting bigger and bigger.

its entirely up to us and our goverment how many non EU citizens we let in. We are in control - its not some abstract event that will happen regardless of what we do.
its entirely up to us and our goverment how many non EU citizens we let in. We are in control - its not some abstract event that will happen regardless of what we do.

Look at the street's, doesn't seem the government care how many come in.
Look at the street's, doesn't seem the government care how many come in.

Of course they care... they want this many to come in, and that's why this many are. Its not an accident, its well within the goverments interest to keep immigration high.

At least the Labour party are honest about it though.. the Tories have had their 100k target for 9 years, and never done a thing about it.. they just bring it out each election and say 'we will cut it to 100k', then spend the next few years doing nothing.. They could have cut non-EU migration to the 10s of thousands if they had wanted to...

Why do they want mass migration? Simple.. its incredibly beneficial if you are rich and powerful. It is a huge economic positive, but one that disproportionately benefits those with wealth and power. They get cheaper labour for their needs, better economic conditions for the companies they invest in.. a strained housing market that keeps their property values rising.. etc.

You have a wierd political system where the conservatives say they are anti-mass migration, but actually are very for it, for its economic impact for themselves.. and a Labour party that represents those who are actually hurt by mass migration, but who won't do anything because for them every migrant is almost gurenteed to be a new voter, and ideologically their drive for diversity and multi-culturalsim is more important than their support of the working class.
Of course they care... they want this many to come in

So why did they set a target for net migration and never manage to meet it?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/24/uk-government-misses-net-migration-target-for-37th-time-in-a-row
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
So why did they set a target for net migration and never manage to meet it?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/24/uk-government-misses-net-migration-target-for-37th-time-in-a-row

read read the second half of the bit you quoted.. caring doesn't mean they want it to come down. They deeply care that it remains high.
read read the second half of the bit you quoted.. caring doesn't mean they want it to come down. They deeply care that it remains high.

If they don't want it to come down why bother setting a target they never intend to keep to?
Reply 13
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
If they don't want it to come down why bother setting a target they never intend to keep to?

To appeal to voters. Obviously.

English people have varying opinions on immigration. We're not all part of some hive mind.

When you say that English people "seem to welcome immigration from Arabia, Pakistan and India", who are you referring to? What gives you the belief that they are welcoming people from these areas?

Sajid Javid and Sadiq Khan are both British. Their families arrived in the UK in the 50's/60's.

Khan while Muslim was born in the UK, Patel was also born in the UK and is not religious, she is as British as any white Tory. The same goes for Javid.

With regards to your first point the UK view of immigrants outside London is much more related to culture and how well they integrate. Indians are viewed relatively positively because they speak English and second generation descendants like Patel tend to do well academically so we associate them as doctors ect..

Regarding Pakistani and Arabic folk I would actually dispute that. Most people outside London have a pretty dim view of Islam and Pakistani folk especially do not integrate well and congregate in places like Bradford and Leicester. As somebody who has grown up on the outskirts of Bradford I can tell you that the 15-30% Kipper votes in 2015 around these parts were not because of people’s opinion on Europe.
Original post by Rakas21
Khan while Muslim was born in the UK, Patel was also born in the UK and is not religious, she is as British as any white Tory. The same goes for Javid.

With regards to your first point the UK view of immigrants outside London is much more related to culture and how well they integrate. Indians are viewed relatively positively because they speak English and second generation descendants like Patel tend to do well academically so we associate them as doctors ect..

Regarding Pakistani and Arabic folk I would actually dispute that. Most people outside London have a pretty dim view of Islam and Pakistani folk especially do not integrate well and congregate in places like Bradford and Leicester. As somebody who has grown up on the outskirts of Bradford I can tell you that the 15-30% Kipper votes in 2015 around these parts were not because of people’s opinion on Europe.

It interesting that you put Islam and Pakistanis differently I believe that people in Bradford and Leicester view Christian/Jewish Pakistanis differently to Muslim Pakistanis. They view Christian/Jewish Pakistanis as hard working and law abiding and integrate well into British society. My local Church of England School is mainly Pakistanis Christians and the students go to top universities and are integrated. Alot the Pakistanis Christains students at the school are scare of Muslim Pakistanis.
immigration? fine. mass immigration & illegal immigration? HELL NO
Original post by jjjirgaaa
The mayor and sec of state (home office I suppose you mean) are British.

Ikr, probably OP isn't British
Original post by looloo2134
It interesting that you put Islam and Pakistanis differently I believe that people in Bradford and Leicester view Christian/Jewish Pakistanis differently to Muslim Pakistanis. They view Christian/Jewish Pakistanis as hard working and law abiding and integrate well into British society. My local Church of England School is mainly Pakistanis Christians and the students go to top universities and are integrated. Alot the Pakistanis Christains students at the school are scare of Muslim Pakistanis.

Never actually met a Christian Pakistani but yes since the problem is cultural rather than racial they’d be no worse than Chinese or Indians.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending