The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

University of Southampton applicants 2020

Good luck to everyone applying to the University of Southampton this year!

If you have any questions, or would just like to just chat with other applicants, please post below.

(I myself am a second-year student at the university, so feel free to ask me any questions you might have!)

For other applicant threads, please check this HUGE list of applicant threads HERE

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
(Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
x

Hi :hi:
Just to add am a current 3rd year Chemistry student at the University of Southampton :hello:
Feel free to ask any questions to us current students here or on this thread here! :fyi:
:bump: :mmm:
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Politics & Economics
University of Birmingham, Oxford Brookes University, University of Surrey, University of York

A Level Economics (A), Maths (A), Politics (?), AS Further Maths (A)
1 A*, 3 As, 4 Bs, 2 Cs, 1 D

Debating, Duke of Edinburgh's Award, Model United Nations
What do you guys like about the university?
Do the university offer clearing? Cause I am aware that some uni's do not :smile:
Original post by THALCEDONY
What do you guys like about the university?

it's a nice balance between city life and being near greenery
it's got lots to offer - societies, events, facilities, courses etc.
everyone is so lovely - honestly even the staff are so friendly and approachable if you need to talk to them about anything!
ngl but the students are easy to talk to and I've bumped into a load of new people recently as have been going to a few events this past week and yeah they're a lovely bunch of people and have made some new friends even in my third year haha :tongue:
hope this helps :smile:
check out the official thread for asking University of Southampton on the forum page :yy:
Original post by the_irony
Do the university offer clearing? Cause I am aware that some uni's do not :smile:

For some courses yes! Usually which and how many spaces depends each year.
Just got an offer to do Sociology and Anthropology BBB inc A in EPQ !!!!! am so chuffed hahaha
Original post by the_irony

Yep! I even applied to Southampton via Clearing - so if you have any questions about the process, don't hesitate to ask!
Original post by minimoo_
Just got an offer to do Sociology and Anthropology BBB inc A in EPQ !!!!! am so chuffed hahaha

That's amazing, congrats!
Original post by EstelOfTheEyrie
Good luck to everyone applying to the University of Southampton this year!

If you have any questions, or would just like to just chat with other applicants, please post below.

(I myself am a second-year student at the university, so feel free to ask me any questions you might have!)

For other applicant threads, please check this HUGE list of applicant threads HERE

What course are you applying for:
What universities are you thinking of:
A level / IB / Higher predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Extra curriculars:
(Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.)

Accounting and Finance at Southampton
University of East Anglia, University of Surrey, University of York, University of Essex (Not too sure about this one though, might apply to Sussex instead)
Currently Studying A level Economics, Psychology and English Lit
From London
Has anyone got an offer for Aeronautics and Astronautics yet?
what is the town like?
seems quite small
Just got an offer for electrical and electronics engineering. It's my first choice btw
Original post by ishawes12
what is the town like?
seems quite small

So Southampton itself is a city!
The highfield campus of the University is about a 20 minute bus ride from the city centre itself.
Between the city centre and the University lies Portswood (a little town) where there a lots of shops, bars, cafes etc.

The campus itself has everything you will probably need! This includes: a library, concert hall, theatre, Doctor's Surgery, gym + swimming pool complex, green space/parks and many cafes/shops/places to eat. As well as the campus itself there are loads on the roads around it - notably Burgess road which has your classic McDonald's, Burger King, Kebab place, takeaways, tesco, sainsbury's, co-op etc. :borat:

Original post by Shish_bish
Just got an offer for electrical and electronics engineering. It's my first choice btw

woot woot great job! :woohoo:
Original post by Shish_bish

Amazing! Congratulations :biggrin: :biggrin:
Original post by 36 That Boy
Has anyone got an offer for Aeronautics and Astronautics yet?

Not yet. Applied two weeks ago. what about you
Original post by Geek.Inc
Not yet. Applied two weeks ago. what about you

Applied on the 15th. No update since.
Original post by 36 That Boy
Applied on the 15th. No update since.

Ohhhh ok. I'm not the only one then
What's the accommodation like? Haven't applied yet, hoping to apply to the psychology and criminology degree!
Original post by ktshilling
What's the accommodation like? Haven't applied yet, hoping to apply to the psychology and criminology degree!

So there is quite a variety! I am actually currently writing a massive megathread all about it :yy:

It's recommended in your first year that you go for University Halls as it's super easy and you'll be able to settle in and meet like minded people there too :yy:
Halls are located just off campus. The nearest to Highfield campus is Highfield hall which is part-catered. Then there is Glen Eyre which is a 10 minute walk away.

There is one hall located in the city centre - Mayflower Hall (built 2015) which has mainly en-suite accommodation. There is also Archer's Road which has ensuite category 1 rooms which is located halfway between highfield campus and the city centre. It is not too far away from the Southampton Common (largest green space in Southampton) and also Avenue Campus (humanities).

Further to this there is Wessex Lane Hall (I was there in my first year) which has both self and part-catered accommodation of varying types. It's only a 20 minute walk from highfield campus.

You get a bus pass with your University accommodation which is super nice - do see the website for virtual tours etc https://www.southampton.ac.uk/uni-life/accommodation.page

Feel free to ask me any questions as well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending