The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Thanks - I would assume that they include the ones from clearing as well! I can understand 1-20 offers, and hopefully it is not more than that, otherwise their offer criteria has to be very strict, in which case, I am not sure what would be their criteria. Are they a bit more focussed on work-experience in addition to the interview itself?

My DS has put SGUL as one of the choices, and now I am panicking a wee bit! Can't do anything about it though :smile:!

However, I still do not understand how SGUL manage to get into clearing. Looks like no other med school end up in clearing (AFAIK).
Original post by f1_carzy
Thanks - I would assume that they include the ones from clearing as well! I can understand 1-20 offers, and hopefully it is not more than that, otherwise their offer criteria has to be very strict, in which case, I am not sure what would be their criteria. Are they a bit more focussed on work-experience in addition to the interview itself?

My DS has put SGUL as one of the choices, and now I am panicking a wee bit! Can't do anything about it though :smile:!

However, I still do not understand how SGUL manage to get into clearing. Looks like no other med school end up in clearing (AFAIK).

They have information about work experience on their website under non-academic requirements and under 'work experience and insight'.
They want you to have an insight into medicine, it's important you know what your taking yourself into, so work experience in health care- related settings would be beneficial. Work experience in non-health care related settings would also be good to show you have other interests.

For example, I'm doing a gap year, and have a part time job at a care centre for people with learning difficulties.

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by DS but all i can say is dont panick, there is not point and there may be nothing for you to worry about.

A lot of other universities were in clearing also, like anglia ruskin, keele, Nottingham Lincoln, etc
Thanks! DS is short for dear(est) son... :smile:

He is doing his A levels and is into volunteering as well, so hopefully that should be ok!

just have to wait now!
Original post by Banshee123
They have information about work experience on their website under non-academic requirements and under 'work experience and insight'.
They want you to have an insight into medicine, it's important you know what your taking yourself into, so work experience in health care- related settings would be beneficial. Work experience in non-health care related settings would also be good to show you have other interests.

For example, I'm doing a gap year, and have a part time job at a care centre for people with learning difficulties.

Sorry I'm not sure what you mean by DS but all i can say is dont panick, there is not point and there may be nothing for you to worry about.

A lot of other universities were in clearing also, like anglia ruskin, keele, Nottingham Lincoln, etc

Hey Im on a gap year aswell, but Im looking for a care related job. There isn't many around tbh, do you work as a care assistant?
Original post by THEallstar2111
Hey Im on a gap year aswell, but Im looking for a care related job. There isn't many around tbh, do you work as a care assistant?

I’m on a gap year too and I work as a care assistant. It took me a long time to not only find the job but actually start working (took me 8 months lol). It’s really great experience but if you’re struggling to find one I would say look for any job as you’ll have transferable skills for medicine and you can probably start something soon
Original post by THEallstar2111

Yes I work as a care assistant.
It is tough to find places, luckily my dad's friend likes the effort I put in, so been hired
Original post by student0299
I’m on a gap year too and I work as a care assistant. It took me a long time to not only find the job but actually start working (took me 8 months lol). It’s really great experience but if you’re struggling to find one I would say look for any job as you’ll have transferable skills for medicine and you can probably start something soon

Where have you applied?
Sgul, Aru, Glasgow and Newcastle. How about you?

haha nice

Sgul Aru, Leicester and Exeter

Whats you a leveks and UCAT?
Original post by f1_carzy

I asked about this and they said that you would need to provide any evidence of any experience you have related to healthcare/ medicine if called for interview. So volunteering and work experience is fine they said
With clearing, yeah sgul have been in clearing for a few years now but I think last year there were quite a few unis that also went into clearing or had extra places
haha nice

Sgul Aru, Leicester and Exeter

Whats you a leveks and UCAT?

Oh wow similar ish I guess. I got AAAA and my ucat was 707.5. How about you?
Oh wow similar ish I guess. I got AAAA and my ucat was 707.5. How about you?

Wow
I got AAA and 640:frown:
@Banshee123
Just wondering, you know how on the website it says that they only want B's in double science, does that mean that they don't look at further additional science? I'm a reapplicant and applied to sgul, leicester, bsms and plymouth, wanted to apply to glasgow instead of sgul but realised that i have a better chance at sgul because of the post-interview waiting list ranking just incase... I think Leicester is my best chance though since they have a 70 per cent offer rate which is higher than all the unis that I applied to and could possibly go higher. I got B in core, A in additional and C in further additional. Just worried about the further additional, however I feel they won't look at it since the website says they only look at two science which is either bio and chem or double science. And we never had grades in terms of Bio Chem and physics, we only got our grades in terms of core additional and further additional
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Krunker482
@Banshee123
Just wondering, you know how on the website it says that they only want B's in double science, does that mean that they don't look at further additional science? I'm a reapplicant and applied to sgul, leicester, bsms and plymouth, wanted to apply to glasgow instead of sgul but realised that i have a better chance at sgul because of the post-interview waiting list ranking just incase... I think Leicester is my best chance though since they have a 70 per cent offer rate which is higher than all the unis that I applied to and could possibly go higher. I got B in core, A in additional and C in further additional. Just worried about the further additional, however I feel they won't look at it since the website says they only look at two science which is either bio and chem or double science. And we never had grades in terms of Bio Chem and physics, we only got our grades in terms of core additional and further additional.

I'm not sure how you got grades if they weren't in terms on bio chem and physics. You may need to ask someone else who better applied to answering this question.

Yes Leicester do have a 70% offer rate which is part of the reason why I'm applying there also.

You say your a re applicant, have you done your a levels before?
what did you get ?
Reply 93
I'm not sure how you got grades if they weren't in terms on bio chem and physics. You may need to ask someone else who better applied to answering this question.

Yes Leicester do have a 70% offer rate which is part of the reason why I'm applying there also.

what did you get ?

I think Leicester have said they are interviewing more people for 2020 entry, which may drop the interview to offer ratio to about 60%. Might have been @TCL who got this from an Open Day?
Original post by GANFYD
I think Leicester have said they are interviewing more people for 2020 entry, which may drop the interview to offer ratio to about 60%. Might have been @TCL who got this from an Open Day?

They also said they were going to give out more offers. They said they would aim to give 750 offers though it's subject to change. 676 offers were give out for the 2019 entry.

@GANFYD could you please help me find out how many offers sgul give out as there seem to be a lot of contradiction with the freedom of information request. They are all around 400+ for 2019 entry, but the exact number changes depending on the FOI post.

Does 400 sound right ? Could you please help me come to a conclusion (just cuz im curious).
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 95
They also said they were going to give out more offers. They said they would aim to give 750 offers though it's subject to change. 676 offers were give out for the 2019 entry.

@GANFYD could you please help me find out how many offers sgul give out as there seem to be a lot of contradiction with the freedom of information request.

I cannot help with how many offers are given out, but I took the number of places direct from the Office for Students (previously HEFCE) website, which is where the Medical and dental target intakes set by the Government are published. I have never heard of a med school not using all their allocated places, as they would lose out on the funding for the seats they did not fill. For 2019/20, SGUL were allocated 279 places. The number of offers made is often a bit dynamic as if they had a lot of people not make their grades last year, they will make more offers this year. On average, med schools seem to be making more offers for each place than they have in previous years, possibly reflecting more people not achieving their offers and/or a reluctance to take those who narrowly miss them.
SGUL do also specifically save places for clearing as they recognise they can pick up some top quality applicants this way, with known grades. In previous years they have saved around 40 places for clearing, but I do not know how many it was last year. They would not have to over-offer much in clearing as they know people have achieved grades, but I think this year made a few too many offers, presumably expecting people to get offers elsewhere too and maybe reject them, but probably there were fewer places in clearing for this to happen as SGUL ended up giving quite a few people deferred places
Original post by GANFYD
I cannot help with how many offers are given out, but I took the number of places direct from the Office for Students (previously HEFCE) website, which is where the Medical and dental target intakes set by the Government are published. I have never heard of a med school not using all their allocated places, as they would lose out on the funding for the seats they did not fill. For 2019/20, SGUL were allocated 279 places. The number of offers made is often a bit dynamic as if they had a lot of people not make their grades last year, they will make more offers this year. On average, med schools seem to be making more offers for each place than they have in previous years, possibly reflecting more people not achieving their offers and/or a reluctance to take those who narrowly miss them.
SGUL do also specifically save places for clearing as they recognise they can pick up some top quality applicants this way, with known grades. In previous years they have saved around 40 places for clearing, but I do not know how many it was last year. They would not have to over-offer much in clearing as they know people have achieved grades, but I think this year made a few too many offers, presumably expecting people to get offers elsewhere too and maybe reject them, but probably there were fewer places in clearing for this to happen as SGUL ended up giving quite a few people deferred places

Ah thank you,
This year like the last 3 years they were still in clearing meaning they had spaces though. So how did they over-offer?
Do you think SGUL will raise the number of offers this year?
Would SGUL ever give less offers than places this year ( i.e. 250 offers but there are 279 places), because of deffer-ed offers?

Thank you for this response, it was really helpful:u:
Reply 97
Ah thank you,
This year like the last 3 years they were still in clearing meaning they had spaces though. So how did they over-offer?
Do you think SGUL will raise the number of offers this year?
Would SGUL ever give less offers than places this year ( i.e. 250 offers but there are 279 places), because of deffer-ed offers?

Thank you for this response, it was really helpful:u:

I meant they over-offered in clearing, like I say, probably expecting people to get other offers through clearing who didn't, so SGUL deferred their offer.
SGUL deliberately enter clearing. They save a number of their places specifically to be offered via clearing for those who have achieved their grades, so it is not done just because they have spaces left by accident.
It is highly unlikely SGUL (or any other med school) would give fewer offers than places as they have to allow for those that reject them, those who Insure them but make their Firm offer and those who do not make their grades. But yes, they will cut down the number of offers to allow for places that are held as deferred offers - this means a uni is ensured of a bum they want on one of their seats!
Original post by GANFYD
I meant they over-offered in clearing, like I say, probably expecting people to get other offers through clearing who didn't, so SGUL deferred their offer.
SGUL deliberately enter clearing. They save a number of their places specifically to be offered via clearing for those who have achieved their grades, so it is not done just because they have spaces left by accident.
It is highly unlikely SGUL (or any other med school) would give fewer offers than places as they have to allow for those that reject them, those who Insure them but make their Firm offer and those who do not make their grades. But yes, they will cut down the number of offers to allow for places that are held as deferred offers - this means a uni is ensured of a bum they want on one of their seats!

well deferred entries are only because too many offers are given out in clearing only (if i'm not mistaken which i could be). I think the number of deferred entries may be negligible.

Essentially there are 239 places (where there is no clearing) because 40 are reserved then ?
I already achieved AAA in my a levels. Would that play an advantage in filling spaces? Are they less likely to reject me?

Anglia Ruskin was in clearing this year, so Im hoping for more than 50% chance of getting offer (after interview).

OFC Thank you again

what did you get ?

I got 3 As, was 3 marks off an a star for chem :frown: after that devilish OCR paper. Literally OCR was doing shenanigans with the chem bio and computer science papers this year. Bio was all about plants and bull****, almost no human biology. And somehow they managed to creep in plants in my computer science paper as well. But I'm still very thankful I got 3 As as it could have gone way worse. As for the bio chem and physics thing, let's just say my school is very weird. We did core science in year 9, then did additional and further additional in year 10 only to find out that the grades weren't separate in terms of individual subjects (chem bio and physics). I was confused when applying for uni so when I asked the school they said they had no idea, and thats just the grades I got and had to put into my UCAS. I think Leicester is also getting more places this year right, I don't think its as much as BSMS or Plymouth though,

Latest

Trending

Trending