The Student Room Group

Changing University

Hi, so I’m currently at university and I think I made the wrong choice of where to go.

As some background, I’ve already had 2 years out so I am already 2 years behind most people which is a big factor as to why this is such a hard decision for me.

I was really struggling to decide where to go to university and had 2 main choices which were both very different to each other. I ended up choosing one and now that I am here I really don’t think I made the right choice in where to go.

It’s quite a small city and has a very pretty campus, lots of greenery around and beautiful scenery which was the main reason why I chose to come here in the end. Which in hindsight probably wasn’t the best reasoning but I naively thought that there wouldn’t be such drastic differences between unis as I have now realised there are.

The nightlife here is pretty dead and the city is very ‘quaint’. It’s kind of boring to be honest and just isn’t really the kind of uni experience I was expecting/wanted.

I’ve met some great people but just don’t really feel like I fit in much here although I am aware that this might just be because I’m only 7 weeks in so things might change.

The main issue is that you have to sort housing really early here (a huge number of people have already sorted and signed housing leases for next year at 7 weeks!). I’ve got a group to live with next year but it means that I kind of need to make a decision soon as to whether I’m going to stay here next year or not as I obviously once I sign a housing lease I’m kind of stuck here.

Obviously I’m currently paying tuition and accommodation fees, and another issue is that I have spent a lot of money on societies/ going out and like making the friendships so far so if I did leave it would kind of just be wasted time, effort and money in that respect.

However, the thought of spending three years of my life here actually fills me with dread and I just really can’t see myself enjoying living in this city that much. I think I would much prefer to be in a city that has more going on and is bigger.

I considered looking at if I could change at the end of year 1 to pick up the course in year 2 somewhere else but am worried that this would make it really hard to make friends etc since I would have missed out on a whole year of getting to know everyone already.

Has anyone else done this? ^ what was your experience?

Or I was thinking I could just restart year 1 at another uni next year but then I wouldn’t be graduating until I was 24 and I don’t know if I want to be that behind everyone. It just feels like I would be wasting my 20s in uni.

Some outside perspective on this would be appreciated as would anyone’s personal experiences with switching unis.

Thanks for reading 😅
Are you at Exeter or Surrey by any chance? 👀
I have done this, very similar story to you except I took 1 year out but now after transferring and doing first year again, I'm also 2 years behind... I actually regret it. Stick with it, the first everything feels natural, the second time around it feels like ugh i've done this before because you're not moving forward, it's not really new or exciting except from the change of scene. Find a routine where you can study and be at uni and maybe spend other times of the week back home?

It would be easier to say if I knew where you went
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I have done this, very similar story to you except I took 1 year out but now after transferring and doing first year again, I'm also 2 years behind... I actually regret it. Stick with it, the first everything feels natural, the second time around it feels like ugh i've done this before because you're not moving forward, it's not really new or exciting except from the change of scene. Find a routine where you can study and be at uni and maybe spend other times of the week back home?

I’m at Exeter , where did you start/ change to?
Original post by Fiona456
I’m at Exeter , where did you start/ change to?

No way!! I’ll PM you, you’ve spoken to the right person 😂
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

Hi, sory for the late reply I actualy forgot I posted this but Im at exeter uni

I get what youre syaing but also the thought of staying here for 3 years is actually so overwhelming, I just don't think I want to be here.
Where did you move from and to?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending