The Student Room Group

Bio multiple choice question. Very simple, help please

Screenshot (88).jpg
I have a question, since the overall conc in side B is higher, but the level of water is the same, is the volume of water in side A greater ? so would water move by osmosis to side B ?
What would the answer here be ?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Leah.J
I have a question, since the overall conc in side B is higher, but the level of water is the same, is the volume of water in side A greater ? so would water move by osmosis to side B ?

Higher solute concentration = lower water potential
Water moves from an area of high water potential to low water potential via osmosis.
Reply 2
Original post by Leah.J
Screenshot (88).jpg

Your question tells me you think the solvent volume is different between the two sides, solute amount is the same and that side A is diluted.
In the picture, level of water is equivalent to volume of water. The solvent volume is actually the same on both sides, but the solute concentration is different.
Since the solute concentration is higher on Side B, and the membrane is permeable to both solutes and the solvent, I do not think water would move. I think only the glucose concentration would come to equilibrium. I think the answer would be A.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
I see why A is correct but
I don't understand how the volume of water is the same in both , wouldn't a higher conc of sth let it take more space ? So for them to have the same level wouldn't the volume have to be different ?
Original post by arshie26
Your question tells me you think the solvent volume is different between the two sides, solute amount is the same and that side A is diluted.
In this picture, level of water would be equivalent to volume of water. The solvent volume is actually the same, but the solute concentration is different.
Since the solute concentration is higher on Side B, and the membrane is permeable to both solutes and the solvent, I do not think water would move. I think only the glucose concentration would come to equilibrium. I think the answer would be A.
Reply 4
Original post by Leah.J
I see why A is correct but
I don't understand how the volume of water is the same in both , wouldn't a higher conc of sth let it take more space ? So for them to have the same level wouldn't the volume have to be different ?

I'm understanding your reasoning better now. Higher concentration of solute would not change the volume of water. It would just make water less concentrated.

https://socratic.org/questions/does-a-hypertonic-solution-have-more-solute-volume-of-water-than-a-hypotonic-sol
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK21739/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending