The Student Room Group

Can I follow my teacher on insta?

Nvm
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I don’t know if it’s legal
Original post by Mollyp.21
Me and my teacher are like friends and student/teacher. Is it okay to follow him on insta or nah?

Your teacher's instagram should be set to private. He shouldn't accept a follow request from you.

It's not illegal as such, but would be seen as a breach of the professional standards teachers are supposed to hold themselves to, and likely your school's social media policy. It might sound petty to you, but this could cause him to lose his job, or even not be allowed to teach anywhere- the rules for teachers are pretty strict.
Original post by marsx
What if you’ve already graduated or left?

The policy at my school (which has a sixth form) is that we are not allowed to make contact with students via social media until 5 years after they have left the school. This means they are 23 by the time we can add them (not that we would generally want to!) Our students are lovely and often do reach out to keep in touch and let us know how they’re doing, but they do so via school email and not through social media.

It’s really concerning that you describe your teacher as being like a friend. He is not your friend. Either you are misinterpreting the relationship or he is failing to maintain clear professional boundaries. The former can be forgiven, the latter is extremely dangerous.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by ThursdaysChild22
The policy at my school (which has a sixth form) is that we are not allowed to make contact with students via social media until 5 years after they have left the school.

What do you believe the rationale for this policy is?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by EierVonSatan
What do you believe the rationale for this policy is?

Not a clue, and not sure how it can be enforced either. Never saw anyone challenge it, probably because noone wants to look like the creep who is desperate to add kids to their social media.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending