The Student Room Group

Magic Circle Law Firm if I go to Uni of Sheffield

Basically I was just wondering if I would be able to get a training contract from a magic circle firm if I get a law degree from Sheffield uni? Like how likely is it that I would get a training contact from one of them? Also does anyone know if you find Sheffield graduates in magic circle law firm? Thank youuu
Original post by CCUupcake123
Basically I was just wondering if I would be able to get a training contract from a magic circle firm if I get a law degree from Sheffield uni? Like how likely is it that I would get a training contact from one of them? Also does anyone know if you find Sheffield graduates in magic circle law firm? Thank youuu

Have you just started your A levels? Sheffield is a very good uni for Law and one that will be targeted by lots of Law firms but "magic circle" are just a group of 5 firms in London so I don't think you should get too obsessed with just those 5 at this stage! Whilst it is good that you are aiming high, all you need to do at the moment is concentrate on getting the highest grades you can and researching all the unis that interest you.

You will find Sheffield graduates in magic circle and other city firms, as well as graduates from lots of other unis too. You can attend uni Open Days in Year 12 as well as Year 13 so I would think about booking some for next year :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by harrysbar
Have you just started your A levels? Sheffield is a very good uni for Law and one that will be targeted by lots of Law firms but "magic circle" are just a group of 5 firms in London so I don't think you should get too obsessed with just those 5 at this stage! Whilst it is good that you are aiming high, all you need to do at the moment is concentrate on getting the highest grades you can and researching all the unis that interest you.

You will find Sheffield graduates in magic circle and other city firms, as well as graduates from lots of other unis too. You can attend uni Open Days in Year 12 as well as Year 13 so I would think about booking some for next year :smile:

Thank you very much!
I’m in year 13 and thinking of going there I’m pretty much aiming for straight A’s. Basically I got AAB for AS so got predicted A*A*A however my GCSE were horrible pretty much all 4’s a 2 B’s however I was lucky enough to get and offer from Sheffield which honestly I wasn’t expecting but I didn’t apply to places like kings because well they would have looked at my gcse’s and laughed. That’s y I was just wondering about Sheffield law employability because I was thinking of firming it.

Also do u know if any of the top law unis if I called them up on results day for example let’s say kings would offer me a place if I got A*A*A? I acc refuse to give up😂 but I don’t want to take a gap year
Thank you!
I tried yesterday searching on LinkedIn but I was that successfully. How exactly would I go about doing this?
Thank you very much!
I’m in year 13 and thinking of going there I’m pretty much aiming for straight A’s. Basically I got AAB for AS so got predicted A*A*A however my GCSE were horrible pretty much all 4’s a 2 B’s however I was lucky enough to get and offer from Sheffield which honestly I wasn’t expecting but I didn’t apply to places like kings because well they would have looked at my gcse’s and laughed. That’s y I was just wondering about Sheffield law employability because I was thinking of firming it.

Also do u know if any of the top law unis if I called them up on results day for example let’s say kings would offer me a place if I got A*A*A? I acc refuse to give up😂 but I don’t want to take a gap year

To be very honest, I'm surprised your school predicted you A*A*A with AAB for AS - they went one grade higher on every one which is presumably their policy. However, it is by no means the case that people normally achieve one grade higher than every AS level, (you may be the exception) specially considering that A levels are harder. I think you were wise not to apply to places like Kings because I think they would have been sceptical about the predicted grades given the evidence from your GCSEs and AS levels not really supporting such a high prediction. Some schools just do predict high, but it doesn't really help their students in the long run if they end up applying to A*AA unis and getting rejected on results day if they miss one or two grades.

With your background I would say that you should be applying to unis around the AAA mark and that being the case, Sheffield is an excellent choice.

If you end up getting A*A*A or A*AA in your A level exams, it is unlikely that places like Kings will be in Clearing - below is the list of unis that were in Clearing for Law in 2019. It is just possible that you may be able to trade up in Adjustment to somewhere like Bristol, if they are in Adjustment again in 2020. However, many such unis would ask for the LNAT - (although not Bristol) so I don't know if you have considered that? In any case, I wouldn't say that your chances of doing well in Law would be disadvantaged from going to Sheffield, so if you like that uni and have sorted out accomodation there etc, it might be better to stick with that option even if you did achieve better than AAA. The other option if you met your predictions of A*A*A or A*AA and would prefer Kings etc would be to take a Year Out and reapply again next year

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6075384&page=2
To be very honest, I'm surprised your school predicted you A*A*A with AAB for AS - they went one grade higher on every one which is presumably their policy. However, it is by no means the case that people normally achieve one grade higher than every AS level, (you may be the exception) specially considering that A levels are harder. I think you were wise not to apply to places like Kings because I think they would have been sceptical about the predicted grades given the evidence from your GCSEs and AS levels not really supporting such a high prediction. Some schools just do predict high, but it doesn't really help their students in the long run if they end up applying to A*AA unis and getting rejected on results day if they miss one or two grades.

With your background I would say that you should be applying to unis around the AAA mark and that being the case, Sheffield is an excellent choice.

If you end up getting A*A*A or A*AA in your A level exams, it is unlikely that places like Kings will be in Clearing - below is the list of unis that were in Clearing for Law in 2019. It is just possible that you may be able to trade up in Adjustment to somewhere like Bristol, if they are in Adjustment again in 2020. However, many such unis would ask for the LNAT - (although not Bristol) so I don't know if you have considered that? In any case, I wouldn't say that your chances of doing well in Law would be disadvantaged from going to Sheffield, so if you like that uni and have sorted out accomodation there etc, it might be better to stick with that option even if you did achieve better than AAA. The other option if you met your predictions of A*A*A or A*AA and would prefer Kings etc would be to take a Year Out and reapply again next year

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6075384&page=2

My school usually predicts 1 grade higher or even 2 just to help people get offers

I just didn’t want to take the risk of applying to King’s and getting rejected but originally I was planning on doing so, so I sat the lnat but then decided it was too risky to apply.
I am happy with Sheffield but I was just seeing what my options were.

Thank you for ur help :smile:
Have Manchester ever been on that list?
My school usually predicts 1 grade higher or even 2 just to help people get offers

I just didn’t want to take the risk of applying to King’s and getting rejected but originally I was planning on doing so, so I sat the lnat but then decided it was too risky to apply.
I am happy with Sheffield but I was just seeing what my options were.

Thank you for ur help :smile:

You're welcome and you sound very sensible. Your school aren't behaving very ethically because they are lying to the unis and more importantly, setting lots of their students up for a stressful results day and maybe having to go into Clearing as a result of aiming too high. But anyway, you've sat the LNAT so could possibly apply if Kings did happen to have places in Adjustment (don't hold your breath though).

I'm not sure about Manchester, do you know if they have been in Clearing in recent years ?

PRSOM

I couldn't agree with this more. It's highly irresponsible of the OP's school to be over-predicting like this and risking leaving a large number of kids in limbo on Results' Day. Moreover, most kids do not achieve their prediction (only 16%), even when that prediction has not be so artificially inflated.
No Clearing data on Manchester :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending