The Student Room Group

A level economics

Hi, I'm in year 11 and trying to choose my A levels. I'm pretty sure about doing maths and geography and am trying to decide my third. I was wondering if anyone who has done a level economics could tell me what the course is about and whether they enjoyed it much or not. I have been considering it as my third option as it would suit my others and sounds interesting, but just want a bit more understanding of it.
Original post by Boe100
Hi, I'm in year 11 and trying to choose my A levels. I'm pretty sure about doing maths and geography and am trying to decide my third. I was wondering if anyone who has done a level economics could tell me what the course is about and whether they enjoyed it much or not. I have been considering it as my third option as it would suit my others and sounds interesting, but just want a bit more understanding of it.

Okay sorry for the long rant but I hope this is helpful in some way. I'm currently doing A-level Economics and I'd say that I enjoy it but it's challenging. It's kind of similar to Business in some areas, microeconomics in particular. The concepts aren't hard to grasp but in my opinion it's hard to apply exam technique to your knowledge. You need to have strong analytical and evaluating skills as well as basic maths knowledge (calculating mean, mode, median, % changes, profits).There is a lot of essay writing so many people, including me, struggle with timing during exams.

The content of the course might vary depending on which specification you follow (I do AQA) but there are two AS papers; Paper 1 being "The operation of markets and market failure" which includes microeconomics topics like:
- Economic methodology and the economic failure
- Price determination in a competitive market
- Production, costs and revenue
- Competitive and concentrated markets
- The market mechanism, market failure and the government intervention in markets
and Paper 2 being "The national economy in a global context" which includes macroeconomics topics like:
- The measurement of macro performance
- How the macro economy works
- Economic performance
- Macroeconomic policy

But to be very honest, it's not bad compared to A2, which is more challenging for a lot of people. The content includes the same topics as AS but they are extended and covered in more detail this year. There are 3 papers for A2, Paper 1 covering micro, Paper 2 covering macro and Paper 3 covering a combination of both. The structure of the exam changes and you have to write more high mark essays (longest one is 25 marks and there's two of them on each paper). With all that being said, I still recommend it as an A-level as it's considered to be a strong solid subject, but just a warning: It's not easy and many people ended up dropping it after the first year.
Good luck with your GCSEs and I hope you choose the right A-level options :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Zzzzzzz17
Okay sorry for the long rant but I hope this is helpful in some way. I'm currently doing A-level Economics and I'd say that I enjoy it but it's challenging. It's kind of similar to Business in some areas, microeconomics in particular. The concepts aren't hard to grasp but in my opinion it's hard to apply exam technique to your knowledge. You need to have strong analytical and evaluating skills as well as basic maths knowledge (calculating mean, mode, median, % changes, profits).There is a lot of essay writing so many people, including me, struggle with timing during exams.

The content of the course might vary depending on which specification you follow (I do AQA) but there are two AS papers; Paper 1 being "The operation of markets and market failure" which includes microeconomics topics like:
- Economic methodology and the economic failure
- Price determination in a competitive market
- Production, costs and revenue
- Competitive and concentrated markets
- The market mechanism, market failure and the government intervention in markets
and Paper 2 being "The national economy in a global context" which includes macroeconomics topics like:
- The measurement of macro performance
- How the macro economy works
- Economic performance
- Macroeconomic policy

But to be very honest, it's not bad compared to A2, which is more challenging for a lot of people. The content includes the same topics as AS but they are extended and covered in more detail this year. There are 3 papers for A2, Paper 1 covering micro, Paper 2 covering macro and Paper 3 covering a combination of both. The structure of the exam changes and you have to write more high mark essays (longest one is 25 marks and there's two of them on each paper). With all that being said, I still recommend it as an A-level as it's considered to be a strong solid subject, but just a warning: It's not easy and many people ended up dropping it after the first year.
Good luck with your GCSEs and I hope you choose the right A-level options :smile:

Thank you so much for your very detailed answer. I have found it very useful :smile:
Original post by Boe100
Thank you so much for your very detailed answer. I have found it very useful :smile:

No worries :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest